The Head of Legal & Compliance shall be responsible for providing expert legal advice to support business stakeholders and ensuring legal and regulatory compliance. The person in this role shall also be responsible for updating the organisation on legal developments that impact the industry. The incumbent shall in addition be responsible for managing external legal partners, ensuring KPIs are met and that a professional service is rendered to the business.
- Minimum Qualification: Bachelor
- Experience Level: Senior level
- Experience Length: 5 years
Location: Uganda Office (TBC)
Department: Legal & Compliance
Supervisor position: CEO & Chief Legal & Compliance Officer
JOB PURPOSE (why the position exists and with what objectives)
The Head of Legal & Compliance at Y9 Microfinance shall be responsible for providing expert legal advice to support business stakeholders and ensuring legal and regulatory compliance. The person in this role shall also be responsible for updating the organisation on legal developments that impact the industry.
The incumbent shall in addition be responsible for managing external legal partners, ensuring KPIs are met and that a professional service is rendered to the business.
Education: University Degree in Law
Work experience: Minimum 5 years’ Experience, 3 years proven experience in banking/ financial sector.
Computer skills: Proficient in the use of MS Office
Language: Fluent in written and spoken English and Swahili
- Outstanding communication and people skills.
- Knowledge of all regulatory policies and procedure.
- Ability to recognize problems and apply Risk Management techniques to address them.
- Strong planning, organizational and time management abilities.
- Excellent Leadership, team management, developing and mentoring.
- Meticulous attention to detail and accuracy.
MAIN AREAS OF RESPONSIBILITY
1. ESSENTIAL DUTIES
- Prepare all required reports related to the Legal & Compliance Department for internal Organs and external institutions and submit them to the CEO in a timely manner.
- Report to the Management Team and the Heads of sections on weaknesses in the internal regulations of the Bank, and on any material violations of external and internal regulations.
- Prepare and implement, in co-operation with the Business/Operations Unit, the opening of centres/shops, branches and representative offices, including without limitation all questions with respect to the registration and licensing of such units.
- Represent the Bank in all legal matters towards third parties, including without limitation towards state authorities, in and outside courts.
- In co-operation with the Accounting Department, ensure that the Bank adheres to legal regulations, including, without limitations, with regard to tax issues.
- Support the Operations Department in the drafting and implementation of legal and efficient procedures and contracts, including, without limitation, with regard to banking operations.
- Maintain good and transparent relations to notaries and other authorities (e.g., registration offices, court executor, courts etc.) to accelerate the lending and recovering process of the Bank.
- Support the Credit Department in the drafting of the lending policy and procedures, and the design of the workflow between the lending and legal departments.
- Auditing: Support the Internal & External Auditors of the Bank in their work.
- Advise the HR Department on all other matters, including without limitation the conclusion and termination of employment.
- Advise each unit/organ of the organization in the drafting of the policy and procedures and revise them on a regular basis (annually) in respect of their legal compliance.
- Prepare reports about the legal situation of loans under prosecution.
- Provide coaching, training and change communication to staff on key legal developments impacting the business
2. GENERAL RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Comply with the provisions of the Bank of Tanzania and all governing bodies and comply with company policies and procedures.
- Live company’s core Principles and work proactively in a customer-related way in accordance with adopted procedures and best practices.
- Work co-operatively with colleagues and external stakeholders to promote the company’s overall business objectives.
- Ensure that confidentiality is respected and always maintained.
3. PEOPLE MANAGEMENT/SUPERVISORY RESPONSIBILITIES:
- Work with HR to recruit, interview, select, hire, and employ talented and diverse group of high performing team members.
- Provide oversight and direction to team members in accordance with the organization's policies and procedures and procedures. Coach, mentor and develop team members, including overseeing new team member onboarding and providing career development, planning and growth opportunities.
- Empower team members to take ownership of their job and goals. Delegate responsibilities as needed and provide routine constructive feedback on performance.
- Create a culture that is consistent with the organizations focus on team member engagement and that aligns with the organizations mission, vision, and values.
- Lead team members using a performance management and development focused approach to assist in goal setting, two-way feedback, and performance development planning.
- Lead team members to meet the organization’s expectations for productivity, quality, and goal accomplishment.
4. Perform any ad-hoc duties as assigned by supervisor.
How to apply.
All applications will be received and Reviewed through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Here ' section
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.