Uganda Employee Relations Manager
ENGIE Energy Access (Africa)
ENGIE Energy Access Uganda is seeking an Employee Relations Manager to join the Human Resources Team. The Employee Relations Manager is responsible for managing employee relations cases and investigations, making recommendations to support a harmonious employee relations climate through a partnership approach.
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Senior level
- Experience Length:6 years
Job Title: Uganda Employee Relations Manager
Department: Human Resources
Reporting Line: Head of Human Resources
About ENGIE Energy Access
ENGIE Energy Access is one of the leading Pay-As-You-Go (PAYGo) and mini-grids solutions provider in Africa, with a mission to deliver affordable, reliable and sustainable energy solutions and life-changing services with exceptional customer experience. The company is a result of the integration of Fenix International, ENGIE Mobisol and ENGIE PowerCorner; and develops innovative, off-grid solar solutions for homes, public services and businesses, enabling customers and distribution partners access to clean, affordable energy. The PAYGo solar home systems are financed through affordable installments from $0.19 per day and the mini-grids foster economic development by enabling electrical productive use and triggering business opportunities for entrepreneurs in rural communities. With over 1,700 employees, operations in 9 countries across Africa (Benin, Cote d'Ivoire, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Rwanda, Tanzania, Uganda and Zambia), over 1.5 million customers and more than 8 million lives impacted so far, ENGIE Energy Access aims to remain the leading clean energy company, serving millions of customers across Africa by 2025.
ENGIE Energy Access Uganda is seeking an Employee Relations Manager to join the Human Resources Team. The Employee Relations Manager is responsible for managing employee relations cases and investigations, making recommendations to support a harmonious employee relations climate through a partnership approach. The role holder is expected to demonstrate a clear understanding of local labor laws, applicable workplace regulations, and EEA policies and procedures with the aim of fostering a conducive work culture/environment for seamless business operations and employee growth and productivity. Additional key components of this role include facilitating trainings on management and leadership topics, and coordination and oversight of staff engagement activities.
- HR Compliance & policy guidance
- Represents organization in contract negotiations, meetings, and negotiations with employee and labor organizations.
- Advises and trains managers and supervisors in best employee relations practices and strategies for managing supervisor challenges and employee grievances and develop further training as needed.
- Be the lead HR person in the investigation of any employee disciplinary matters relating to workplace complaints such as discrimination, harassment, retaliation, hostile work environment and policy violation.
- Advise EEA Uganda leadership team on employment actions to ensure compliance with applicable regulations, and provides guidance on EEA policies, procedures, and compliance.
- Analyzes information and data necessary to define and discern cost and policy implications of negotiations and disputes. This may include working conditions, and other mitigating circumstances.
- Be the lead person in ensuring all employees are sensitized regularly on workplace policies.
- Employee wellbeing.
- Be the lead person on the development of a Wellness Strategy / conduct bi-annual staff surveys and make recommendations.
- Conduct exit interviews, analyzing trends or opportunities for feedback or improvement particularly in areas related to employee engagement.
- Leads corporate initiatives and projects such as welfare and CSR initiatives and other employee wellness programs at work
- Use surveys, interviews, and other studies to conduct research regarding human resource policies, support and other employment issues and makes recommendations on appropriate changes.
- Maintain good communication protocols for dealing with managers and staff to ensure that information delivered is relevant, appropriate and on time in line with EEA communication protocols.
- Develop a shared sense of commitment and participation among staff in the management of change and the development of Human Resources within EEA Uganda
- Learning & Development
- Be the lead person in coordinating the role out of performance feedback reviews and following through to ensure they are completed on time.
- Present and train on HR-related content and curriculum – either through formal corporate instructor-led trainings, small-group facilitated dialogues, or through one-on-one mentoring sessions.
- In conjunction with the Head of HR, play a Key role on the Learning, Training and Development Committee with direct responsibility for roll-out of relevant initiatives within EEA Uganda
- Lead and programme manage all HR training i.e. People Management workshops, leadership/ management training, coordination of coaching, HR information sessions etc.
At EEA, we have high expectations for our managers. Each manager plays a key role in creating an exceptional experience not only for our customers but for every person on our team. Our managers help EEA realize our ambitious goals while developing their own leadership skills and facilitating growth for their direct reports.
We believe that great managers:
- Deliver ambitious results: As a high-performing and accountable leader, you create an enabling environment for effective action and bold decision which contribute to successful delivery of results.
- Act with integrity: As an ethical leader you are honest, respectful, objective, and transparent. You create and build upon a foundation of trust and openness.
- Inspire and mentor the team: As an inspirational leader you walk the talk. You empower and coach your team with trust and humility.
- Are accessible: as an accessible leader, you develop and maintain deep connections with stakeholders through approachability and active listening.
- Ensure diversity and inclusion: as an inclusive leader, you ensure diversity and foster a sense of belonging.
Knowledge and skills
- 6 years of experience 3 of which should have been handling employee relations matters.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
- Thorough understanding of state and employment laws concerning labor relations.
- Ability to comprehend, interpret, and apply the appropriate sections of applicable laws, guidelines, regulations and policies.
- Thorough understanding of negotiation techniques.
- Thorough understanding of dispute resolution and compensation administration.
- High levels of emotional intelligence with the ability to remain tactful, calm, and persuasive in controversial and/or confrontational situations.
- Experience designing and implementing employee training programs.
- Knowledge of Ugandan Labor Legislation and ensuring adherence.
- Outstanding written and verbal communication skills.
- Empathetic, strategic thinker and problem solver.
- Bachelor's degree in Human Resources, Employee Relations, or related field required.
- 6 years of professional human resource administration, including 3 years in employee relations preferred OR its equivalent through training, education, and other experience.
- Microsoft Office.
- Knowledge with HRIS
We thank all applicants for their interest, however due to the large volume of applications we receive, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
ENGIE is an equal opportunity employer, promoting diversity and committed to creating an inclusive environment for all. All applications are screened based on business needs, job requirements and individual qualifications, without any regard to origin, age, name, sexual identity, orientation or preference, religion, marital status, health, disability, political opinions, union involvement or citizenship. Our differences are our strengths!
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.