Duties & Responsibilities:
1. Administrative duties which include staff attendance reports, salary
calculations for casual employees, forms & documentation related to leave,
sickness, absenteeism & other information required for the staff file.
2. Handling of employees issues – this includes employees having problems
whether personal or to do with work, problems with other staff members. The
idea here is to be very open and welcoming to an employee so that he/she is
free to see you regardless of the issue. You are a friend when need be and a HR
manager when need be.
3. Discipline – you must be strict but fair. Wrongful acts/behaviour must
be acted on. Records of action taken must be recorded and stored in the
employees file. Note that it is important that you do not gain the reputation
of being a prison warden or a incumbent dictator. This shall simply drive you
away from the company’s goal of harmony in the workplace. Appraisals also fall
under this area. It is important to review an employees’ performance at least
once a year.
4. Proactively looking for signs of problems. Learn to poke your nose in
every area of the company’s operations. It is your right after all. Do not feel
that you are interfering in someone else’s business. Every department, every
employee and every operation is your concern. Many times problems are not
brought to you but noticed by being observant and curious. You must do this
from day one.
5. Recruitment of new employees. All steps from advertising or selecting
from existing applications, to interviewing, to recommending to drafting
appointment letters and getting all other forms signed and back ground checks
done. Many times, urgent recruitment is required. For example, in the case
whereby the company has got a air conditioning project and technicians are
needed or where stores needs extra loaders for a temporary period. Always have
a database of the positions where urgent need can arise be present.
6. Finding talent. The company is always on the lookout for that someone
who has that amazing ability, talent and willingness. A list of potential
candidates for various positions must always be ready and available should the
7. Pay special attention to the Air Conditioning Division. This is where there are generally a lot of issues to resolve. Either there are conflicts or there is absenteeism which is causing hindrance to a project. Or there could be need for reallocation of technicians. Note that at Appliance World, whilst there are heads of department, it is you
Smelling/sensing when other managers
who are above you in hierarchy are not performing their role properly and
solving the problem or bringing it to be MD’s attention. The art of telling
someone above you what to do without offending them is one that you have been
deemed to have.
Being in charge of administration such
as approvals for money for various purposes including purchase of stationary,
airtime, payments to the cook and many other items.
administrative duties which include approving leave, advising when you feel
that a member of staff deserves an increment, preparation of warning letters,
ensuring that disciplinary action is implemented.
11. Be prepared to deal with crisis situations all the time. One moment police has arrested a driver at which point another vehicle has run out of fuel at which point somebody was injured on site at which point stores are not offloading a container because loaders did not turn up. All of these and more happen all the time and sometimes at the same time. You will be expected to deal with all of these.
12. Keeping all staff data in an organized manner. This should include appointment letters, any changes/addendums, warnings, correspondence, bio data, etc.
13. Presenting deductions per employee to the accounts department so that salaries can be paid appropriately. Deductions may include absenteeism, un paid leave, etc
14. Regularly interacting with departments and their heads to see if you can help in resolving any problems.
15. Ensuring that an updated list of staff and their salaries is presented on a monthly basis to our insurance company to enable them to cover Appliance World on workers compensation.
16. Ensuring that all the company’s insurance policies are up to date and appropriate to the company’s needs. The company’s need change as the company grows.
17. Dealing with and approving payment for casual labourers.
18. Dealing with maintenance issues, for example,
plumbing issues, issues to do with National water & UMEME, telephone
network system, internet, etc. The company also has an IT manager who will work
with you on this particular duty. However, you are finally responsible.
19. Keeping records of and dealing with employees
leave, sick leave, unpaid leave, absenteeism, etc
20. Dealing with and keeping records of staff loans.
21. Ensuring that you are fully aware of what goes
on in all departments, solving their issues as well as following up with them.
22. Presenting the MD with weekly attendance
23. Presenting the MD with monthly reports
pertaining ‘staff issues’.
24. Any other administrative duties that may be allocated to you.