BDO is one of the largest global networks of public accounting, tax, and advisory firms. The firms have representation in 167 countries, with over 88,120 people working out of over 1,809 offices. We pride ourselves on offering exceptional services to our clients in the East African region and worldwide. BDO in East Africa enjoys a presence in Uganda, Kenya, Rwanda, Ethiopia, and Tanzania.
A career at BDO grants you an opportunity to work with a team of professionals that will support you in your career development and personal growth. We provide an open and flexible working environment, we ensure that our teams are offered the same opportunities to develop their talents, maximize their potential, ignite their passion, and achieve their goals. We actively look for ways to add value to our existing and potential clients.
As a BDO professional, you’ll work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment, helping to drive BDO’s growth as we continue to build our operations by delivering exceptional service to clients.
We are looking for a Senior Associate to provide support in the various Risk Advisory Services.
The Senior Associate will be responsible for the portfolio of clients who have entrusted BDO to offer value-added risk management capabilities needed to mitigate business risk, support business strategies, and continuously improve operational performance. Will also provide support to the Audit, Tax, and Integrated Client Services Departments when required. He or She will be reporting to the Manager, Risk Advisory Services.
Key Result Area
• Work with the Line Manager to ensure a system is in place which ensures that all major risks of the client are identified and analyzed on an annual basis.
• Plan, organize, and carry out the risk advisory services including the preparation of an annual audit plan which fulfills the responsibility of the department by scheduling and assigning work and estimating resource needs.
• Ensure the rigor and effectiveness with which audit activities are executed, fall within agreed-upon methodology and principles.
• Coordinate coverage with the external auditors (when required) and ensure that each party is not only aware of the other's work but also well briefed on areas of concern.
• Make recommendations on the systems and procedures being reviewed, report on the findings and recommendations, and monitor management's response and implementation.
• Contribute actively to the improvement of the audit methodology through the development of new tools and techniques for approval.
• Support the execution of any special reviews or tasks as requested by the responsible Board Committee or Management, provided that they do not compromise the independence or objectivity of the Risk advisory services.
• Prepares reports, documentation, and correspondence under the superior’s supervision.
• Keeps up to date with the latest accounting, auditing, and tax developments.
• Consults with superior on issues identified and research these.
• Identifies statutory and regulatory changes that will affect own clients.
• Reviews management letter points of junior staff and drafts paragraphs for letters with minimum supervision.
• Demonstrates a good understanding of the firm's audit, accounting, and tax approach and is able to assist junior staff in understanding the theory behind the approach.
• Assist the managers as part of a team to service the clients.
• Ensure client files have all relevant documentation in the appropriate section.
• Carry out ad hoc requirements as may be reasonably required by the line manager.
• Take responsibility for all client matters as directed by the manager.
• Active adherence to budget and time pressures, bringing matters to the attention of the manager.
• Preparation of engagement letters and client acceptance documentation
• Establishes close working relationships with clients; understands the main issues.
• Maintains regular contact with Tax staff during the assignment.
• Draws up plans and timetables for assignments.
• Monitors own and team performance against time allocations and reports difficulties.
• Acts as a supervisor on small to medium assignments.
• Reviews junior staff work.
• Produces a largely complete ‘end product’ with a list of outstanding issues to be addressed at a clearance meeting.
• Handles a small number of assignments at the same time.
• Shows awareness of the firm’s services and identifies cross-selling opportunities.
• Ensure professional standards are met.
Communication and representation
• Must demonstrate strong team playing skills in all client and internal management dealings,
• Develop a professional relationship with the client and within BDO,
• Provide an efficient and pro-active service to the client and its internal management to ensure that their needs are fully met,
• Undertake any training or development co-ordinated by BDO,
• Willing and open to taking on tasks and challenges provided by the Manager.
To be successful in this role you will:
• Be committed and motivated to studying towards a professional accounting qualification as required by BDO,
• Be able to deliver first-class client service and work effectively as part of a team,
• Demonstrate an ability to communicate clearly both verbally and in writing,
• Be well organized and have the ability to prioritize your own workload,
• Have a high level of general commercial awareness.
Educational and professional qualifications
• Ideally educated to degree level or its equivalent.
• Attainment of a professional accounting qualification (completed exams).
• Previous experience of acting as audit-in-charge.
Applicants are required to send their application letters and CV through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section by June 15, 2021. Only successful applicants will be contacted.