Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
The World University Service of Canada’s Field Support Services Project (WUSC FSSP) is a project established to provide technical, administrative, and logistical support services towards the implementation of Global Affairs Canada’s (GAC) development programming in Uganda and other countries in the region.
Job Summary: Under the Direction of the Head of Development Cooperation, based in Nairobi, Kenya, the Consultant is responsible for providing liaison services to the Development Section of the High Commission of Canada in Nairobi, Kenya
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Develop and maintain a good knowledge of ongoing development activities in Uganda, including those of government and non-governmental agencies, as well as institutional cooperation activities.
- Provide analyses on political, economic, and security developments in Uganda and advise GAC on actions that could to be undertaken in order to take advantage of rising opportunities and challenges for development programming.
- Report on local policy issues that may be relevant to GAC’s interest and mandate in the region.
- Liaise, maintain dialogue, and develop linkages, and follow up on ongoing and new/future programming of other International Development Partners* NB: the consultant will not represent Canada in an official capacity
- Maintain regular contact and networking with key partners in the government, donor agencies and civil society.
- Develop and maintain effective partnerships, business relationships (networks) with local Canadian partners (where applicable), other projects e.g. UNDP, International Finance Institutions (IFIs), local trade associations and report to the Head, Development Cooperation on trends or potential opportunities for possible Canadian assistance.
- Participation in the monitoring and evaluation of GAC projects as requested.
Communication & Liaison
- Upon request, attend certain meetings at events where the promotion of GAC’s development programs may be advanced.
- Prepare monthly summary reports on all information obtained and/or reviewed.
- Include a section in the report that signals upcoming events that may be of interest to the High Commission.
- Upon request, prepare brief on country and sector specific reports for the High Commission.
- Document salaries/fee rates payable to consultants both in Kampala and other parts of the country for project managers/coordinators, project officers, finance officer, administrative assistants etc.
- Prepare contact lists for donors and government agencies.
- Provide logistical and administrative support to visiting GAC missions as required.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- The applicant must hold an undergraduate university degree from a recognized university in development studies, project management, international relations or any other relative degree.
- The ideal candidate should have at least five years of progressive experience in development programming;
- Excellent English language skills;
- Highly developed communication and facilitation skills;
- Analytical skills;
- Demonstrated experience in working with social media tools
- Knowledge of gender equality is an added advantage;
How to Apply:
All candidates interested in this assignment are encouraged to email a brief cover letter (not more than 400 words) outlining the candidate’s relevant experience and skills and a CV of not more than four (four) pages that clearly aligns with each of the position’s mandatory requirements with the subject heading “Uganda Dev Liaison Officer” to: email@example.com.
Candidates are also required to provide their expected consolidated daily fee rate in Canadian Dollars (CAD$) for undertaking this assignment. Further, candidates are required to provide names and contact details of three (3) most recent referees.
Deadline: 8th October 2021