The LHL & Policy Influencing Coordinator will provide technical advice, guidance and support to the HPM on shaping the LHL agenda for Oxfam in Uganda. He/she will advance Oxfam’s policy influencing agenda at national and regional levels in relation to engagement of Local Humanitarian Actors (LHA) in key policy and practice spaces and broader Rights in Crisis discussions.
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Mid level
- Experience Length:3 years
LHL & Policy influencing Coordinator
Departmental Purpose: Shaping a stronger Oxfam for people living in poverty.
Team Purpose : To work with others to overcome poverty and suffering.
Job Purpose: The LHL & Policy Influencing Coordinator will provide technical advice, guidance and support to the HPM on shaping the LHL agenda for Oxfam in Uganda. He/she will advance Oxfam’s policy-influencing agenda at national and regional levels in relation to engagement of Local Humanitarian Actors (LHA) in key policy and practice spaces and broader Rights in Crisis discussions.
Job Responsibilities and Accountabilities
1. Institutional Capacity strengthening of LHAs (local/national RLOs and LNGO networks and/or platforms)
• Provide support on partnership assessment of local/national humanitarian actors and make appropriate recommendations for potential partnerships
• Provide follow-up support and guidance to local/national humanitarian actors and localization networks on initiatives aimed at strengthening NGO management, financial management, human resource policy, membership and resource mobilisation etc.
• Organise Workshops/Meeting/Conferences on LHL principles and practices for RLGs/RLOs and LNGO networks
• Facilitate regular exchanges, cross learning and collaboration of LHAs (including RLOs) Networks between districts/ cross-national/ international, and with local and national humanitarian platforms
• Support and facilitate the convening of meetings for different platforms/networks across the country (including the refugee engagement forum)
• Support the activation, selection and issuing of Emergency Response Fund (ERF) or small advocacy grants to LHAs (RLOS, LNGOs & Networks/platforms) where available
• Facilitate regular exchanges, cross learning and collaboration of LHAs ( RLO/LNGOs & Networks) between districts/ cross-national/ international, and with local and national humanitarian platforms
• Working closely with the Funding team, support resources mobilisation for the localisation agenda; ensuring timely gap analysis and mapping of available funding opportunities and facilitating linkages of LHAs , including RLOs, into direct funding agreements with major donors
2. Advocacy capacity building and Policy influencing
• Undertake Advocacy capacity assessment of LHAs and networks and organise workshops/trainings to address identified gaps (including on advocacy strategy development, safe guarding, Charter4change and Accountability, Grand Bargain, refugee protection etc).
• Facilitate Local/national RLOs and LNGO networks and/or platforms to directly participate in local/national advocacy initiatives.
• Reposition and facilitate Local/national RLOs, LNGOs, and LNGO networks to take on leadership roles in local/national decision-making spaces.
• Working closely with Communications, PQL and programme teams ensure that policy, campaigns and any strategic influencing initiatives are well monitored, documented and generate learning for the broader country team
• Contribute to internal and external reporting requirements, ensuring that Oxfam’s advocacy agenda is well profiled
• Facilitate the participatory planning and budgeting processes for humanitarian advocacy campaigns and assist peers and partners as well as managers to do so effectively.
• Advice Oxfam and implementing partners on the opportunities and risks associated with policy advocacy especially on political and governance issues with specific emphasis to the Refugee Crisis in Uganda
3. Research and Documentation
• Conduct Credible research to strengthen evidence-based advocacy and engagement on the humanitarian agenda at national, regional and global levels with special focus on refugee rights, participation and leadership influence of LHAs.
• Work closely with the Communications team to develop and publish communication and advocacy products that support LHAs (including RLOs) to better engage in influencing on LHL, refugee rights and social cohesion
• In consultations with Program Team, Response Managers and partners, advice on areas, which require deeper investigations or studies to inform the program implementation design as well as the advocacy agendas of Oxfam in relation to localisation
• Organise/participate in learning events, parliamentary engagements and any relevant meetings to share experiences and ensure learning from others
4. Coordination and Representation
• Coordinate with regional and global Policy & Advocacy Leads and other colleagues in the Oxfam confederation to share ideas and information about Oxfam’s global influencing agenda.
• Working closely with program teams, identify, initiate and support the building of strategic partnerships with key external contacts in the CSOs, private sector, government agencies, political entities, educational institutions, diplomatic circles, informal groups and the citizenry.
• Represent Oxfam at key national humanitarian forums and networks including the refugee INGO sub-committee on Advocacy and communication, the CRRF steering committee (as advised) and others as assigned
• Represent Oxfam in Uganda on all regional and global Rights in Crisis (RiC) campaigns and tasks.
• Take on Management /Representation roles as delegated by the HPM
Technical Skills, Experience & Knowledge
• Experience, Knowledge and passion of working in and managing coalitions, networks and loose groupings
• Ability to critically analyze external or independent process, risks, opportunities and provide accurate assessment of the implications to Oxfam program and brand.
• Excellent skills in political and power analysis
• Good skills and articulate in public speaking, media engagement (including new media) and presentation.
• Ability to build and maintain connections with external resource persons.
• Ability to write quality policy briefings and position papers.
• Strong analytical skills and keen eye for details in public policy pronouncements or publications.
• Skills in developing advocacy and campaigns strategies delivered in a multi stakeholder policy reform drives
• Strong partner management skills
• High level of interpersonal and communication competencies, persuasive capability, diplomatic tact and negotiation skills. Able to effectively represent Oxfam in relevant policy spaces.
• Excellent program management skills
• Sound understanding of external contexts and contemporary development especially in the socio economic and political environments.
• Excellent knowledge of gender dimensions and issues with capability of conducting quality gender analysis
• Knowledge of national, regional and international affairs, engagements and process broadly but relevant to Oxfam work in especially the Refugee Crisis response
• Knowledge and experience in linking local, national, regional, continental and international campaign and advocacy issues and opportunities
• Masters level education in a relevant field
Key Behavioural Competencies
Influencing We have the ability to engage with diverse stakeholders in a way that leads to increased impact for the organisation We spot opportunities to influence effectively and where there are no opportunities we have the ability to create them in a respectful and impactful manner.
Relationship Building We understand the importance of building relationship, within and outside the organization. We have the ability to engage with traditional and non-traditional stakeholders in ways that lead to increased impact for the organisation.
Listening We are good listeners who can see where deeper levels of thoughts and tacit assumptions differ. Our messages to others are clear, and consider different preferences.
Mutual Accountability We can explain our decisions and how we have taken them based on our organizational values. We are ready to be held to account for what we do and how we behave, as we are also holding others to account in a consistent manner.
Systems Thinking We view problems as parts of an overall system and in their relation to the whole system, rather than reacting to a specific part, outcome or event in isolation. We focus on cyclical rather than linear cause and effect. By consistently practicing systems thinking we are aware of and manage well unintended consequences of organisational decisions and actions.
How to apply.
Click on the 'Apply Here' section to be redirected to the application portal.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.