Within Uganda , Kampala , East Africa
Job title: Innovation Intervention Officer for the Teacher, Training & Education project (m/f/x) – Uganda
Enabel, the Belgian development agency, implements the Belgian governmental cooperation policy. The agency also works for the account of other national and international donors. With its partners in Belgium and abroad Enabel offers solutions addressing pressing global challenges: Climate Change, Urbanisation, Human Mobility, Peace and Security, Economic and Social Inequality, and Global Citizenship. With 1800 staff, Enabel manages about 150 projects in twenty countries, in Belgium, Africa and the Middle East.
The Belgian bilateral cooperation has been active in Uganda for more than 20 years, supporting the Government of Uganda in its development agenda in various (sub)sectors: health, teacher education, skills and employment, environment, climate-smart infrastructure, etc.
The Government of Uganda is currently working with the Kingdom of Belgium to improve secondary teacher education in the National Teacher’s Colleges (NTCs). These interventions are referred to as the Teacher Training Education (TTE) project. Their specific objective is that NTCs produce competent teachers through:
• The effective use of acquired management skills;
• The proper use of improved infrastructure and facilities;
• The improved pedagogical competencies.
In this context, Enabel is looking for an Innovation Intervention Officer.
In your area of expertise and under the supervision of the Sector Expert Pedagogy,
• You identify, design, implement and monitor the project activities that are assigned to you
• Pilot the implementation of a Digital Hub in Kabale NTC (elaborate the business plan, ensure the communication, build the services offered such as training, computer repairs, etc.);
• Pilot a leasing scheme of ICT devices for students in the 5 NTCs (by which students could acquire ICT devices);
• Pilot the use of a digital box allowing remote access to digital resources on campus.
• You provide the necessary technical input for achieving the expected project results, specifically on the below topics:
• Roll out of different management software (finance, academic, learning, human resources…) used in NTCs;
• Online courses for management of education institutions and for pedagogy.
• You contribute to quality assurance as well as knowledge building and knowledge management;
• You contribute to change and capacity development of partners.
You are a full part of the project team and are committed to its values and vision; you reflect a dynamic and engaged image of Enabel and the local team in Uganda.
In addition, you regularly update your knowledge of the sector (meetings, (e-)conferences, participation to expert networks…) and share it with your colleagues with a view to improving practices and know-how in relation to the project.
You are committed to introducing new technologies into the learning process of staff members of the project and of the partners and you foster digital development with Enabel’s Digital for Development (D4D) experts.
• Master’s degree in human sciences related fields (preferably in adults’ education, educational sciences, development studies, human resources, sociology …);
• An additional diploma in IT is an asset.
• Minimum 2 years of relevant experience in the education and the capacity development sectors;
• Experience in managing the process of innovation in a team / in an institution.
Required skills and knowledge
• Knowledge of the latest trends in education (EdTech, online courses, technology enhanced learning…);
• Awareness of / or interested in Virtual Reality;
• Knowledge of Open Educational Resources (OER);
• Ability to produce a wide range of information, education and communication materials;
• You show you are an initiative builder allowing your colleagues to count on your commitment to the team;
• You build strong proposals and bring innovative solutions to issues you encounter;
• You are able to work and evolve in a changing environment;
• You are familiar with results-based management;
• You are familiar with theories of change;
• You master knowledge management and knowledge building;
• You have a strong affinity with and easily use various digital tools and new technologies;
• You are fluent in spoken and written French or Dutch. Considering the working language of Uganda and the international environment in which you work, excellent knowledge of English is required.
You commit to respecting the vision, mission and values of Enabel https://www.enabel.be/content/enabel-vision-mission-values .
We offer you
• A fascinating and varied job in an international environment.
• A contract of 15 months. You are based in Kampala with very frequent travels to Kabale National Teachers’ College and also travels to Kaliro, Mubende, Muni and Unyama NTCs.
• A salary package that comprises the monthly gross salary, in accordance with our salary scales (Class 5), and Enabel expat benefits such as a remoteness, assignment and hardship allowance, (capped) coverage of housing expenses, a moving compensation, an installation compensation, (capped) coverage of school expenses for children accompanying, an insurance package for the whole family, including repatriation insurance, and an annual round-trip flight ticket for each family member.
• In case of expatriation without the (dependent) members of the family, up to six additional round-trip flight tickets to the country of origin or another destination (capped in accordance with Enabel rules).
The amounts vary in function of relevant recognised experience for the function and family composition.
Following this procedure a recruitment reserve of successful applicants may be constituted which may be sourced in the next three years for similar job openings.
Every person who fulfils the conditions listed in our job advertisements may apply. Enabel is committed to equal opportunities and diversity in its workforce. We do not discriminate on the basis of gender, origin, age, religion, sexual orientation, disability status or any other factor other than competence.
How to apply.
Click on the 'Apply Here' section to Apply Now at the latest by 14 December 2021 and include your motivation letter and updated CV.
Only applications submitted via this online portal will be considered.