Title: Database Administrator
Reports to: Innovations Coordinator
Location: Headquarters, Kampala, Uganda
Application opening: 16th September 2020
Application deadline: 30 September 2020
Tugende is a for-profit social enterprise providing assets and SME finance, leasing, insurance, and financial literacy to new customers, and consumer finance to qualified existing customers.
It was formally established in 2012 in Uganda and is a technology-enabled asset financier of income-generating assets for proven entrepreneurs, using a lease-to-own product to offer an affordable path to ownership of these assets. Tugende empowers customers unable to access formal credit, and has financed over 30,000 customers.
About the role
In this position, Tugende is searching for an experienced and knowledgeable Database Administrator (DBA), with experience working in fast paced environments, to serve the needs of a fast growing company. Tugende is rapidly expanding its reach both geographically and also in terms of products and services to more customer segments. This implies reliance on systems and data to make the right decisions on a day to day basis in an efficient way, hence the need for the DBA.
The DBA will be the main “custodian” of the company’s databases. He/she will be responsible for ensuring that all the company’s databases are operating normally, ensuring that changes to databases are managed well and monitored to avoid compromising data integrity, ensuring data security for all company data and disaster recovery whenever need arises.
What you will learn from this job
• Organisational culture
• Innovation in a fast growing environment with rapidly changing organisational needs
• Identifying opportunities to grow
The Database Administrator will execute the following key duties and responsibilities:
• Monitoring and optimizing the performance of the databases
• Maintaining archived data
• Backing up and restoring databases
• Generating various reports by querying from databases as per need
• Implement best practices in Data Management
• Ensuring compliance with database vendor license agreements, and data privacy laws.
• Modifying the database structure, as necessary, from information given by application developers
• Controlling and monitoring user access to the databases
• Implementing data security and protection procedures
• Implement firewalls and/or any other strategies around the company’s databases
• Setup proven mechanisms to detect fraud / corruption of data through hacks, suspicious user activity, unauthorized access, power failure etc.
• Disaster recovery planning
• Coordinating disaster recovery tasks when need arises
• Identifying and suggesting various opportunities to improve the company’s infrastructure and data management
• Development of Tugende’s data warehouse
Note: This job description gives a general guideline, and therefore does not include an exhaustive list of all duties and responsibilities
- Knowledge, experience, skills and qualification:
• At least a Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science, Information Technology, Software Engineering or relevant fields.
• At least 3 years’ experience in Database Administration or any other platform Development.
• A Certification in data management related fields is an added advantage.
- Personal attributes and abilities:
• Cloud-based database design, implementation, and maintenance. MS Azure is preferable to other cloud services.
• Setup and configuration OLAP and OLTP servers and data warehouse development
• Knowledge about the RDBMS, e.g. Microsoft SQL Server or Postgres
• Knowledge of data extraction formatting and presentation tools and techniques e.g query writing and data formatting
• Comfort with server operating systems like Linux, Windows Server
• Timely Delivery of tasks and multitasking skills.
• Good communication skills
• Teamwork and professionalism
What will you gain?
Career Trajectory: The role holder of this position has a significant potential to grow as the business expands. You can be promoted to a Data manager, or Head of IT Systems and Innovations.
Meaningful work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the opportunity to earn a better living for themselves and their families. We are changing Africa’s asset-finance industry by building a sustainable business that ignites financial development. Join us!
Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of ~450 employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as events for our customers. Our headquarters are in Kampala, Uganda and we are rapidly expanding in East Africa.
Hours and compensation: This position is for an ambitious, full-time employee who will take on additional responsibilities and projects as they arise. Tugende offers competitive salaries and benefits that reflect a person’s contributions to the company’s mission and growth.
More About Tugende: Tugende means “let’s go” in Luganda and what you see on the back of a motorcycle taxi. Tugende has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow, 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow, 2016 GSBI Fellow, and received the MIT Zambezi prize in 2015 as one of the top 3 financial inclusion startups in Africa. We have appeared in The Guardian, BBC, Economist. Beyond geographic growth, Tugende's future will include multiple asset finance products and tools to help Tugende reach millions of clients without losing high touch personal support