Direct Hierarchy: REACH Research Manager
Contract Type: Fixed Term
Gross Salary: Ugx. 6,000,000 - 7,000,000
Starting Date: August 2021
U-Learn (The Uganda Learning, Evidence, Accountability and Research Network) is a UKAID-funded INGO consortium that supports evidence, learning, and refugee voice in the refugee response in Uganda. The U-Learn consortium is comprised of ACTED (leading on assessments and research), IRC (leading on refugee's voice), and Response Innovation Labs hosted by Save the Children (leading on learning). The post-holder will work across the U-Learn consortium.
We are looking for a curious, self-driven and highly proactive person to fill the Senior U-Learn Project Manager position based in Kampala, Uganda. Candidates are not required to have previous humanitarian or INGO experience. While this is very much valued, we are interested in candidates from a range of backgrounds, with the ability to demonstrate exceptional performance and prowess as project managers.
The Senior U-Learn Project Manager will provide cross-cutting support to strategic initiatives and activities across all components of the consortium. Specifically, the PM will focus on strengthening monitoring and evaluation of U-Learn’s performance and impact, proactively embedding M&E processes/tools across the consortium. In addition, the PM will support the Consortium Management Unit to ensure good integration of U-Learn’s programming and contribute to the implementation and delivery of key events and outputs under the consortium’s Accountability to Affected Populations (AAP) and Learning Hub (LH) workstreams.
1. MEAL – c. 30%
• Oversee the documentation of program results, impact, best practices, and significant changes;
• Lead on supporting program teams to embed user-friendly standardized M&E tools (surveys/polls) into events and outputs;
• Hold overall responsibility for the log frame, including data collation and analysis to maintain an updated view of progress and impact;
• Lead the annual perceptions survey on U-Learn performance;
• Facilitate programs to run contextualized feedback and complaints mechanisms and approaches to receive feedback from refugees, host communities as well as other user groups of the U-Learn program.
2. CMU – c. 20%
• Track work plans to ensure day-to-day activities are aligned with U-Learn’s long-term vision and intended impact;
• Help develop and embed program management tools that are practical, fit for purpose, and embedded into U-Learn’s way of operating eg. Trello boards and MS Teams shared files and collaboration;
• Identify potential synergies and efficiencies that can be achieved for improved, the integrated performance of the consortium, and support existing structures (regular consortium meetings/shared online platforms);
• Assist with routine reporting and compliance requirements including risk analysis and safeguarding.
3. LH (c. 25%) & AAP (c. 25%)
• Support specific LH events – providing project management support in organizing the event and technical support on the day
• Support AAP deliverables – supporting the project management of the AAP training course through managing a work plan and supporting discrete follow-up actions (eg – contacting attendees)
• Proactively identify potential gaps and support needs in the program teams that will benefit from targeted input;
• Act as an additional resource for reviews and checks of LH and AAP outputs and products
4. Protection mainstreaming
• Promoting of and adhering to Prevention of Sexual Exploitation and Abuse policy and guidelines (for site residents, ACTED staff, partner agencies, casual laborers, etc).
Key skills/strengths (in order of priority):
• Master's degree in Project Planning & Management, Development studies, M&E, or Equivalent
• At least 7 years experience in project management
• Proactive and self-motivated
• Highly organized and able to juggle various workstreams
• Strong project management skills (able to anticipate required actions and map these into user-friendly work plans)
• People-focused (able to develop tools and processes that take into account the priorities and preferences of colleagues)
• Strong internal written and spoken communication skills
• Confident drawing links between different activities and teams
• Comfortable speaking and supporting at live online events
How to apply
Qualified Uganda Nationals with the required skills are invited to submit their applications through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section
• Curriculum Vitae (Maximum 03 Pages)
• Cover Letter (Maximum 01 Page)
Cover Letter and CV must be shared as a single PDF document i.e with the Cover Letter being on the first page and CV starting on the next page, detailing 03 work referees and their daytime contacts. Please do not attach any other documents while sending your application. If required they will be requested at a later stage.
Applications failing to respect the criteria above will not be considered.
• Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.
• Review of Applications and Shortlisting will be done on a rolling basis and ACTED reserves the right to hire before the deadline.
• ACTED will at no stage of the recruitment process request candidates to make payments of any kind. Further, ACTED has not retained any agent(s) in connection with recruitments.
ACTED is committed to protecting beneficiaries within our programs from exploitation and abuse and any kind of misconduct. ACTED has specific policies, including PSEA and Child Protection, which outline the expected behavior and responsibility of all staff, beneficiaries, consultants, and other stakeholders and zero tolerance towards misconduct. Any candidate offered a job with ACTED will be expected to sign ACTED’s organizational Policies and Code of Conduct as an annex to their contract of employment and agree to conduct themselves by the provisions of these documents.
ACTED is an Equal Opportunity Employer