Legal, Risk, Compliance & Governance
Senior Legal, Risk, Governance & Compliance Executive
Our client is a wholly-owned subsidiary comprising of a portfolio of businesses focused on structural growth markets. The business helps individuals to de-risk their lives and deal with their biggest financial concerns through life insurance. One of the longest standing and most successful global insurers in the world with over 20 million life customers, +24,000 employees, and £56billion of assets under management as of 30th June 2019, the company has been providing financial security to customers since 1848 and it’s one of the oldest insurers in the world, with 171 continuous years of providing financial services. Our client is listed on stock exchanges in London, Hong Kong, Singapore, and New York.
Our client provides protection and savings opportunities to customers, social and economic benefits to the communities in which it operates, jobs and opportunities to its employees, and financial benefits for its investors. By offering security, pooling savings, and making investments, Our client helps to maintain the cycle of growth. The company’s strategy is designed to create sustainable economic value for its customers and shareholders.
The company continues to develop its businesses in new markets in Africa, building on the success of its other regional models, particularly in Asia. Currently, the company has a footprint in eight countries: Uganda, Kenya, Zambia, Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon, Cote d’ Ivoire, and Togo.
The role is expected to implement all the necessary actions to ensure the achievement of the said objectives. The position will ensure that the behavior in the organization meets the company’s standard of governance.
The successful candidate will effectively ensure conformity and minimize the probability of exposure to reputational and legal issues to the Company. A person of high integrity, an ardent team player, with demonstrable pioneering skills and all-around familiarity with business operations including Regulations, in addition to other business areas.
Principal Accountabilities: -
• To support the implementation of risk policies, standards, and procedures, as appropriate. • To Research and evaluate different risk factors regarding business decisions and operations by examining promotional content, products, etc.
• To support line Management in preparation of an Annual plan with a specific focus on addressing/managing risks.
• Provide direct support to the Senior Legal, Risk, Compliance & Governance Executive to lead the process of risk identification, assessment, and response and monitor existing and emerging risks. • Analyses, measures and evaluates process risks.
• Conduct risk assessment through running risk workshops with the Business, ensures relevant risk templates and documentation are used, and drives the creation of risk responses. • Develop specific action plans to mitigate, accept or transfer risk and monitors progress on an ongoing basis.
• First level policy review of policies and procedural manuals operational across all business functions
• Provide direct support to business processes owners to ensure processes and controls are appropriately designed and implemented to address the inherent and emerging risks • Periodic monitoring of compliance with approved policies and procedures
• Identify and report any process activities that deviate from the approved policies and or best practice to Management
• Identify requirements and build key knowledge in line with functional competencies. • Create, develop and foster strong and professional relationships with business process owners • Monitor the internal turn-around time in relation to claims payment on a sample basis
• Oversight responsibility as discharging accountability and compliance requirements with the Group Compliance Policy, Anti- Money Laundering and Sanctions Policy and Anti- Bribery and Corruption Policies, etc.
• Evaluating compliance with internal policies and procedures set by Management and the Board of Directors.
• Support Management with the implementation and development of guidelines on the Company’s Group Code of Conduct, Anti-Fraud Policy, Security and safety policy which sets out the minimum requirements to be followed for physical security and business travel security.
Core Competences Required:
• Education: Bachelor’s degree in Accounting, Finance, Statistics, Risk management, Economics, Mathematics, Analytics, or in a related quantitative discipline.
• Experience: Proven experience of at least 3 years in a fast-paced business environment will be considered an advantage.
• Knowledge skills: General knowledge and understanding of insurance, as well as legislation, rules, and regulations impacting the insurance industry desirable.
• Communication skills: Required to have excellent communication skills to write a detailed but concise analysis on a variety of insurance areas and prepare Board-level presentations. It is also important to be able to convey information to others in a clear and understandable manner.
• Interpersonal skills: They are required to have this skill to develop and build effective relationships. This skill is necessary to effectively secure information with third parties.
• Organization skills: They are required to have this skill to effectively prioritize workload and handle multiple projects. It is also useful in conducting meetings with all levels of company employees, including senior management.
• Teamwork skills: Applicants for the risk officer role must be able to work effectively as a part of a cross-functional team.
• Presentation skills: The risk officer job requires them to make presentations of findings and recommendations to senior management and executive directors, hence it is important they possess strong presentation skills to perform their job successfully.
• Analytical and problem-solving skills: It is vital that they have the competence to analyze a variety of situations and develop recommendations on the best course of action.
• Computer skill: They must also possess proficient skills in Microsoft Office, including Word, Excel (a skill in managing in database and ability to create formulas and pivot tables), Access, Outlook, and PowerPoint. Recruiters may show a preference for Excel. Also, a working experience with SAS and E-Miner, and the ability to perform database manipulations using SQL is a plus.
• Project management skills: It is important for risk analysts to have the capacity to lead and get jobs done alone and with others, and manage the accomplishment of assigned tasks/projects within the predetermined time frame.
• Sound judgment: They must be able to take initiative and apply reasoning and logic to various situations and make viable decisions.
• High degree of professional ethics and integrity.
• Logical thinking/reasoning.
• Emotional maturity.
• Self-driven, fully dedicated to the course.
• Assertive yet convincing.
• Keen to details.
• Excellent computer skills.
All applications will be received and Reviewed through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section