Heifer International is an equal opportunity employer. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, gender, gender identity, sexual orientation, age, status as a protected veteran, among other things, or status as a qualified individual with disability.
The East Africa Youth Inclusion Program (EAYIP) Monitoring, Learning and Evaluation (MLE) Officer, reporting to the Country project manager and under the technical guidance of the EAYIP Monitoring, Learning, and Evaluation (MLE) Manager, will provide MLE technical support to function across the Country program and, as such, work in close collaboration with respective EAYIP consortium partners and their M&E leads with the view to support the country program on MLE function. To this end, he/she will provide technical assistance; advice, and training on key aspects of MLE to shape the overall EAYIP’s country framework and ensure that key outcomes, deliverables, youth enterprises are properly monitored/tracked, documented. She/he will also work with the team to build capacity on the use of data and indicators; analyze monthly data and support in rolling-out quality assurance methods. The Officer will lead the process of working with partners in strengthening the partner's Information System, prepare periodic reports and promote programmatic accountability and learning.
Essential Character Traits:
Respect, accountability, courage, excellence, analytical ability, interpersonal skills, and proactive problem-solving.
RESPONSIBILITIES & DELIVERABLE
A. Program Effectiveness (45%)
- Drive the Implementation of the MLE framework and plan in EAYIP at the Country level.
- Provide technical support for implementing an MLE plan to ensure meaningful information systems are in place to capture data to feed into management decisions.
- Responsible for data analysis
- Recommend steps for strategic adjustments and steps and provide follow-up to implementation based on data captured through the MLE framework and plan.
- Responsible to ensure quality data is captured through the MLE system and incorporating adjustments as needed.
- Responsible for building MLE capacity
- Data Quality Assurance
- Prepare and consolidate reports as per donor, organizational, and MLE plan requirements
- Maintain updated databases that are relevant to the project data management systems at the country level
- Play an active role in the implementation of a comprehensive M&E plan for EAYIP including the development of approaches, processes, tools, schedules, among others.
- Coordinate implementation of M&E activities as described by the M&E plan including assisting the Country Program Manager in preparing and disseminating relevant reports.
- Coordinate information that supports MLE activities between researchers, evaluators, and internal MLE staff.
- Working with the MLE Manager designing and disseminating tools required as per MLE plan such as surveys, tracking sheets, FGD’s, etc. along with the respective implementation guidelines
- In collaboration with MLE Manager organize periodic evaluation and progress monitoring events by involving partners
- In collaboration with different units, periodically monitors, youth/group/hub businesses, project activities, key inputs/deliverables reviews provide recommendations based on monitoring findings.
- Conduct routine data analysis to meet MLE plan requirements and ensures the quality of data collected and evidence-based reports produced.
- Collect, compile, and share case stories and success stories related to program activities and outcomes monthly.
- Support the program team to incorporate key learnings in the upcoming plan and program.
- Undertake data quality assessments of programmatic data to ensure quality standards are achieved.
B. Accountable for knowledge and Information Management and Reporting at the country Office level. (30%)
- Document key outcomes, based on data collected.
- Coordinate knowledge sharing and reflection activities to identify lessons through implementation practices and data.
- Prepare monthly and quarterly summary activity/outcome progress reports and share them during the monthly and quarterly reflection meetings.
- Identify and document lessons and other information that should be shared with partners and key stakeholders.
- Document the learning and best practices in the EAYIP.
- Provides data deemed important for planning, concept paper, or proposal development.
C. Management and Compliance (10%)
- Provide overall leadership in developing and maintaining project databases at the country level.
- Prepare and consolidate monthly, quarterly, mid-term and annual reports.
- Coordinate annual project reviews and planning workshops and assist the Country Program Manager in preparing and disseminating relevant reports.
- Maintain relevant program databases at the country level as per the MLE framework
- Ensure that information needs at the country level are met through the overall MLE framework.
- Closely review data and indicators progress to ensure that corrective recommendations are provided on a timely basis.
- Maintains accurate information in project databases as well as accurate and timely electronic files.
- May perform other job-related responsibilities as assigned.
D. Partnership and Engagement (10%)
- Accountable for knowledge management, learning, and sharing.
- Provide MLE technical support to partners and stakeholders.
- Attend relevant stakeholder and partners’ meetings to further develop collaboration and to obtain new methods and ideas in the area of responsibility.
- Prepare presentations to foster strong MLE practices.
- Provide training on Project MLE requirements.
- Provide statistical information for use by partners and HPI.
- Keep up to date with developments in MERL, including best practice examples within the country and internationally, and ensure ongoing personal development and learning.
E. May perform other job-related duties as assigned ( 5%).
- Bachelor’s Degree in monitoring and Evaluation, Economics and/or Statistics, Social Research, or an equivalent with an academic focus on Monitoring and Evaluation plus five (5) years of directly relevant experience in MLE management of large-scale projects.
- Solid MLE experience, gained in working in the development context
- Demonstrated social research experience
- Experience in supporting and monitoring field-based programs in the country
- Proven experience in staff and partner training
- Experience in developing field data collection tools
- Experience in quantitative and qualitative data collection
- Experience in developing and implementing MLE plans
- Demonstrated experience in data analysis
- Report writing.
Most Critical Proficiencies:
- Innovative, analytical, and solutions-oriented
- Demonstrated effective organizing and planning skills;
- Ability to write clear and concise reports and to make effective oral presentations;
- A good understanding of and sensitivity to issues associated with poverty, hunger, and the environment, and knowledge of the context in which non-profit organizations operate
- Knowledge of youth workforce development issues, especially in rural communities of the East Africa region
- Good understanding of the different value chains within the agricultural sector
- Knowledge of enterprise development and linkages to poverty alleviation
- Excellent organizational skills, including strong attention to detail.
- Proven experience in building the capacity of partner institutions to document and disseminate industry information, manage knowledge, measure progress and plan and advocate within the industry
- Proficient knowledge of word processing, spreadsheets, presentation tools, electronic mail (Microsoft Office preferred), and the Internet.
- Demonstrated proficiency in English, both oral and written
- Ability to work in a team.
Essential Job Functions and Physical Demands:
- Ability to prepare and present documents in a well-designed and attractive format with superior attention to detail.
- Ability to understand, appreciate and implement Heifer’s Values-Based Holistic Community Development model
- Demonstrated creativity, ability to think systematically, willingness, and ability to incorporate innovative solutions
- Quantitative and qualitative approaches to evaluation and ability to communicate MLE concepts clearly with leadership, partners, and staff at all levels
- Willingness and ability to assign and review the work of direct reports and to use participatory management skills with junior and senior staff
- Proven team leadership and supervisory skills with the ability to train and work cooperatively with a diverse staff, including field staff in various locations
- Constant face-to-face, telephone, and electronic communication with colleagues and the general public
- Willingness and ability to travel extensively throughout EAYIP project sites in Uganda and Tanzania
- May require constant sitting; working at a computer and focusing for extended periods of time and performing office environment activities while on the road and/or in remote conditions
- Working with sensitive information and maintaining the confidentiality
- Ability to manage and execute multiple tasks with little supervision while meeting sometimes inflexible deadlines.
Click on the 'Apply Here' section to submit your application.