International Rescue Committee
Software & Data
IRC is seeking Editorial Officer, based in Kampala under the direct supervision of the Signpost Manager and will support the Signpost teams in Kampala. The Editorial Officers will be responsible for development, management, and dissemination of quality, verified, relevant information on Signpost.
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Senior level
- Experience Length:5 years
The International Rescue Committee (IRC) responds to the world’s worst humanitarian crises and helps people to survive and rebuild their lives. Founded in 1933, the IRC offers lifesaving care and life-changing assistance to refugees forced to flee from war or disaster.
The International Rescue Committee, hereinafter referred to as “the IRC”, is a non-profit, humanitarian agency that provides relief, rehabilitation, protection, resettlement services, and advocacy for refugees, displaced persons and victims of oppression and violent conflict. The IRC has been working in Uganda since 1998 in response to mass displacement and devastation wrought by the rebel group, the Lord’s Resistance Army (LRA). Since then, in partnership with various donors, the IRC in Uganda has expanded to meet the needs of the conflict-affected regions of Karamoja, Acholi, West Nile region, and in Southwestern Uganda as well as amongst urban refugees in Kampala.
Signpost is an innovative digital initiative providing the humanitarian community with a platform to reach refugees, asylum seekers and crisis-affected communities around the world with accessible information. Signpost programming will take a holistic approach to address information needs in Kyaka II Refugee settlement in Kyegegwa District and in Kampala. Signpost is a useful information resource for people in need fosters more in-depth community, more trust, and, most importantly, more utility for its users.
Signpost will enable refugees and asylum-seekers and vulnerable host community members to put across their questions and concerns and to receive the information they need to make informed choices about their lives in multiple languages.
IRC is seeking Editorial Officer, based in Kampala under the direct supervision of the Signpost Manager and will support the Signpost teams in Kampala. The Editorial Officers will be responsible for development, management, and dissemination of quality, verified, relevant information on Signpost. The position is integral within the Signpost team and will work closely with moderators in publishing content through digital and other diverse channels based on need and responding to clients’ information needs.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Publish relevant and appropriate content on Signpost.
- Ensure Signpost content is accurate, complete, easy to understand and engaging.
- Collaborate on, edit written and multimedia content built by Signpost team (Signpost Manager, Moderators, Service mapping officer).
- Monitor traffic and other feedback emanating from Signpost.
- Use the Contentful CMS, Transifex translation-management software and other tools to prepare content for publication.
- Coordinate, update, and handle the Signpost style guide.
- Ensure the Signpost photo database and calendar are up to date.
- Support moderators with publishing posts on Facebook and other media
- Contribute to drafting reports on Signpost content.
- Work with Information Technology team to resolve technical issues across platforms.
- Provide technical guidance, on the job mentoring and coaching for the moderators.
- Ensure ongoing training and targeted capacity building of signpost staff.
- Review performance of moderators in the field and provide encouraging approaches to address issues identified.
Key Working Relationships
Position Reports to: Signpost Manager
Position directly supervises: Moderators.
Other Internal and/or external contacts: Signpost team (Manager, Moderators, Service mapping officer), IRC protection team, IT/Helpdesk team.
- Bachelor’s degree in communication, Journalism, Media, Public information, or another relevant field.
- At least three to five years of demonstrated experience in editing, sub-editing, copy editing.
- Experience working with a humanitarian organization.
- Experience with Navigating online systems to complete work.
- Knowledge of social media strategies.
- Knowledge of online content best practices.
- Knowledge and experience of managing websites and social media platforms.
- Advanced English language skills, oral and written.
- Experience in content editing
- Strong writing and proofreading skills
- Passion for writing
- Strong interpersonal and time-management skills; shown ability to prioritize and deliver on time.
- Great attention to detail
- Strong analytic problem-solving skills
- Ability to work both independently and in a multifaceted, cross-functional team.
- Proficient in Microsoft Office suite (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.)
Please note: Deadline for receiving applications is 31 st May 2023.
IRC workers must adhere to the values and principles outlined in the IRC Way - Standards for Professional Conduct. These are Integrity, Service, Accountability and Equality. In accordance with these values, the IRC operates and enforces policies on Beneficiary Protection from Exploitation and Abuse, Child Safeguarding, Anti Workplace Harassment, Fiscal Integrity, and Anti-Retaliation.
Gender Equality & Equal Opportunity
IRC is an Equal Opportunity Employer and we value diversity at our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, sex, gender, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status or any other characteristic protected by applicable law. We will ensure that individuals with disabilities are provided reasonable accommodation to participate in the job application or interview process, to perform essential job functions, and to receive other benefits and privileges of employment. Please contact us to request reasonable accommodation.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.