DIRECTOR OF LEARNING - Uganda Learning Activity
QED is a global consulting firm with more than 20 years of experience providing data-driven and insightful solutions in close to 100 countries. We are passionate about transforming lives through knowledge-based solutions. Leveraging deep expertise in monitoring, evaluation, global health, and learning, we help our clients collect, analyze, visualize, and ultimately use data in more effective ways. Our work maximizes results through the use of cutting-edge technologies and innovation, organizational development, and evidence-based decision-making.
The purpose of the USAID Learning Activity (ULA) is to further strengthen USAID/Uganda performance and improve the performance of its implementing partners, with a focus on collaborating, learning and adapting, in order to enhance the impact and sustainability of USAID-supported contributions to Uganda’s development.
The ULA will achieve this through three objectives:
• Collaboration: Strengthened collaboration, both internally and with external stakeholders, enables USAID to better leverage expertise, learning and resources; and deepens local ownership.
• Learning: Systematic learning, through applied research, monitoring and evaluation, informs and improves the relevance, quality and cost- effectiveness of programs and operations
• Performing: Adaptive management of program implementation and meta-level interventions to improve the quality of USAID program outcomes.
The Director of Learning will provide overall vision and leadership to inform and improve the relevance, quality, best practices, cost-effectiveness, and impact of USAID/Uganda programs.
• Serve as a key member of the ULA Senior Management Team (SMT), working collaboratively with ULA colleagues, the USAID/Uganda Mission, and QED home office staff to lead the strategic direction of ULA in line with contractual obligations.
• Provide overall vision and leadership related to the USAID/Uganda learning agenda.
• Ensure effective implementation of MEL technical tasks, including MEL strategy and systems development, project-level monitoring and verification, GIS and data analysis, data quality assessments, MEL capacity building, assessments, studies, and evaluations.
• Ensure the quality, timeliness, and technological sophistication of services related to improving the integrity and usefulness of USAID/Uganda monitoring and reporting systems.
• Ensure the quality, relevance, technological sophistication, and timeliness of evaluations, analyses, assessments, and other technical tasks as required.
• Lead and support technical aspects of managing projects, including scope of work and work plan development, budget monitoring, and reporting
• Ensure appropriate thought leadership and communications pieces are coming from the project, highlight pain points for innovation or opportunities for piloting innovation activities.
• Deepen USAID/Uganda’s existing learning capabilities and introduce improved avenues to learning, including (when appropriate and feasible) using innovative digital and/or mobile technologies.
• Lead contributions to USAID/Uganda’s efforts to deliberately draw contextual, programmatic, and operational learning from its monitoring, evaluation, analytical and assessment efforts
• Collaborate with the Performance Pillar to facilitate the transformation of learning into adapting, including through feedback loops.
• Train implementing partners and mission personnel and provide other support for the development and/or modification of performance indicators and baseline data, setting performance targets, and preparing and/or customizing performance indicator reference sheets.
• Develop and plan for the implementation of activity, project, sector, cross-sectoral, and other Learning Agendas as needed.
• Support implementing partners in developing and adhering to high quality annual monitoring, learning, consistent with the performance management plan.
• Maintain the Mission’s Performance Reporting System and expand other existing data management architecture for learning, as well as manage the data analytics team to provide products for data-driven decision-making
• Analyze qualitative and quantitative data and present data in appealing ways and are accessible to all stakeholders, as part of planned USAID/Uganda portfolio review exercises and in response to ad hoc requests.
• Ensure that data and insights are read, discussed, and used to adapt and inform program improvements and designs.
• Contribute to ULA’s internal learning agenda, work plan, and performance reporting, and results framework, including authorship of key synthesis products within the Learning Pillar that respond to higher level outcomes of ULA outputs.
• Actively support and collaborate with ULA Senior Management Team on operational matters as well as programmatic matters.
• QA/QC and Compliance: Support development of contract deliverables and attainment of high CPARs.
• Ensure that MEL contract deliverables are on schedule and meet USAID’s and QED’s standards.
• Serve as a key technical point of contact and liaison with relevant USAID bureaus, offices; prime contractors and subcontractors; support and in some cases lead the resolution of issues that arise with the client, sub-contractors, and other partners and stakeholders.
• Hiring Manager for key recruitments under the Learning Pillar including development of rationale for new positions, development of key interview process tools in collaboration with HR personnel, and oversight for selection of final candidates.
• Lead, manage, and care for a large and diverse team of MEL experts, including short-term and long-term staff.
• Supervise staff to ensure compliance, delivery of quality services and products, and adherence to the terms of the contract as well as each technical task.
• Supervise and mentor assigned staff and strive to maintain a high level of staff retention through staff engagement and development, portfolio management and workload balancing, career growth opportunities, and staff loyalty.
• Embody and uphold QED values, including:
• Collaboration | We are one team
• Efficiency | We are productive and agile
• Empowerment | We invest, support, and grow
• Innovation | We redefine what's possible
• Integrity | We honor and respect
• Learning | We seek and share wisdom
• Quality | We exceed expectations
• Lead through example, offer and implement constructive and practical solutions, and implement current and revised policies, procedures, and systems.
• Review staff performance and provide feedback to team members through informal and formal mechanisms including regular team meetings, individual meetings for coaching, mentoring and other feedback opportunities, and annual performance reviews.
• Strengthen QED’s positive corporate culture; support other groups and practices in attaining their goals/targets.
• Provide Acting COP responsibilities in the absence of the COP
• Master’s Degree in a relevant field
• At least 10-15 years of progressive experience with MEL.
• At least 5 years of managing a complex portfolio of contracts
• At least 5 years of experience managing high performing teams (in addition to the 8 years’ experience below).
• Five years of experience managing staff conducting monitoring and/or research efforts.
• At least 8 years of direct experience developing and managing monitoring systems and/or conducting social science research.
• Preferably, demonstrated skills and experience in statistics and computational analysis.
• Minimum 5 years’ experience living and working in developing country environments, especially in Uganda or other African regions.
• Demonstrated experience in virtual and hybrid learning utilizing innovative tools and strategies.
• Demonstrated experience managing data analytics projects and teams.
• Demonstrated ability to organize and effectively communicate results and impact to a variety of audiences.
• Experience in using project management tools and software to inform allocation of tasks and responsibilities across a diverse team
• Knowledge of and demonstrated application of quality assurance methods and tools for a wide range of data-driven products (Assessment reports, evaluations, DQAs, PRS data reports etc.)
• Superior communication, relationship building, interpersonal, management, and leadership skills
• Experience across multiple geographies on strategic and organizational issues.
• Commitment to developing and staying up-to-date on company policies, practices, and trends.
• Previous experience on USAID-funded contracts.
• Fluency in written and spoken English.
Please note that applications submitted by other means; or without either a resume/CV and/or biodata may not be considered. Only finalists will be contacted; no phone calls please.
A submitted application to QED in response to a position on a bid or proposal, indicates your agreement to be included in our submission to the client at least on an illustrative named basis.
The QED Group, LLC is an Equal Opportunity Employer. Women, Minorities, Veterans, and individuals with disabilities are strongly encouraged to apply. AA/V/D. Reasonable accommodation requests will be considered on a case-by-case basis.
All applications will be received and Reviewed through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section