Kituo cha Katiba: Eastern Africa Centre for Constitutional Development (KcK) is implementing a project on electoral reform and justice in Uganda, aimed at enhancing electoral democracy in the country. The project involves 3 major components: monitoring compliance by the Attorney General with the orders of a 2019 Supreme Court public interest litigation (PIL) case that challenged the Attorney General’s non-compliance with the orders of the same court made in Presidential Election Petition No.1 of 2016 and awareness creation about the PIL case; a comprehensive study of the electoral reforms proposed by the Supreme Court in the (above) 2016 Presidential Election Petition; and a critical review of the 2016 parliamentary election judgements to ascertain their consistency and legal basis with a view of improving future adjudication of electoral disputes. KcK seeks to recruit a full time volunteer to offer Communication/information technology technical support to the effective implementation of the project.
II. Duties and Responsibilities
The Communication/IT volunteer shall have the following duties and responsibilities:
1. Maintain and update the organization/project communication strategy and supplementary work plan in consultation with management and project staff.
2. Update contact list (data base) of journalists and media houses operating in the print, broadcast and electronic sector in Uganda;
3. Maintain prompt and precise information dissemination to key stakeholders including the media (external communications).
4. Under the guidance of the Programmes Director, develop, and oversee the distribution of media materials in various suitable formats such as Press releases, feature stories, blog features etc.).
5. Advise KcK management and the general staff on media strategy and consequences for action and procedures projected.
6. Improve and manage the various media handles of KcK including but not limited to Facebook, Twitter and the website.
7. Support the project team in the communication and IT related aspects of the programme implementation and development as requested.
8. Actively assist in the setup and participate in project events (meetings/workshops/trainings) and publicize them.
9. Ensure transparency, ethical conduct and efficiency in communication.
III. Competencies Sought /Requirements
Education and Work Experience & Skills:
1. University Degree in Mass Communications/Information technology and public relations related studies.
2. Any post graduate qualification in the same shall be an added advantage;
3. At least 1 year work experience in project/organizational communications/IT and public relations;
High proficiency in spoken and written English
· High proficiency in MS Office (Word, Excel, PowerPoint etc.,), excellent web navigation skills and management of organizational social media accounts.
· Proficiency in the Adobe Creative Suite software package (Illustrator, InDesign, and Photoshop) is an added advantage.
· High professional and personal integrity;
· Excellent interpersonal skills;
· Ability to work both independently and collaboratively in a team;
· Displays cultural, gender, religion, race, nationality and age sensitivity and adaptability in a diversity characterized working environment;
· Demonstrates strong oral, presentation and written communication skills;
· Internet and social media competent with ability to communicate project/organizational milestones on such forums;
Applications should include:
a. A resume summarizing qualifications and experience;
b. An application letter;
c. 2 work referees with contact details;
d. Interested candidates please submit your applications by 31st August, 2020- email to email@example.com
e. Due to time constraints, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. KcK is committed to achieving workforce diversity. All applications will be treated with the strictest confidence.
f. In light of the COVID 19 pandemic, virtual interviews may be held.
IV. Contract Duration
The duration of the volunteer contract will be 12 months. A modest facilitation to cover transport costs shall be provided.