UGX 1.5MN NET
Our client is a specialized law firm focusing on technology, media, telecommunications, Intellectual Property & Construction law. We advise clients on the financing, exploitation, and protection of their creative and commercial assets in these sectors.
Alongside its specialist commercial expertise, the firm provides full legal service across corporate, tax, finance, litigation, employment, and property. The firm’s clients range from leading businesses in banking, e-commerce, entertainment, technology, beverage & hospitality, telecommunications, broadcast entertainment, music, and publishing to platforms, content retailers, and early-stage entrepreneurs.
The firms also provide legal support and lobbies decision-makers on behalf of clients on a wide range of matters, including data protection and privacy, cyber security, anti-competition, copyright, trade, and e-commerce. The firm is also a member of the Amani, a network of intellectual property practitioners in the region. The firm also works with other trusted overseas law firms, with similar media, technology, and Intellectual Property (IP) focus, covering all key worldwide jurisdictions.
This job description is generic and therefore, is not an exhaustive list of duties and responsibilities. As an associate, you will advise on technical, strategic, and procedural aspects across the spectrum of problems although the focus will be on contentious matters.
The Advocate will be responsible for providing legal services and solutions to the clients of the firm.
Main areas of Focus
The Associate will work mainly in advisory, in the sectors of banking, technology, payments, insolvency data protection, telecoms, e-commerce, project development finance, regulatory compliance as well as intellectual property.
Other Key Role Responsibilities and Duties include:
- Prepare and draft legal documents, such as wills, deeds, patent applications, mortgages, leases, and contracts;
- Prepare legal briefs and opinions
- Provide legal guidance to clients on transactions
- Develop strategies and arguments in support of a legal position
- Study various laws to determine ramifications issues affecting clients
- Search for and examine public and other legal records to write opinions or establish ownership;
- Supervise legal assistants;
- Review business mergers
- Act as agent, trustee, guardian, or executor for businesses or individuals;
- Probate wills and represent and advise executors and administrators of estates;
- Following a filing system and organizing records, such as letters, legal documents, case files, correspondence, invoices, and memoranda according to that system;
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the partners from time to time during the course of employment;
- Draw up or review contracts and other legal documents;
- Research documents and case history to ensure accuracy of advice and procedures;
- Provide routine updates to clients;
- To participate in the growth and development of the department/firm;
- Treat all information about the firm and its client and their business as wholly confidential;
- Keeping up to date with changes in the law;
- Attract additional business from new and existing clients;
- Make a constructive contribution to the non-chargeable activities of the department and the firm;
- Interpret laws, rulings, and regulations for individuals and businesses;
- Any other duties as may be assigned by the partners from time to time during the course of employment
Client Relationship and Personal Development:
- To have a clear understanding of what it would take to develop a career to the next level
- Participate in onsite and offsite team meetings and activities
- Attend internal training and external training as and when required
- Keep up to date with law and practice
- Read journals and attend courses as part of continuing professional development/ education (CLE)
- Keep track of CLE hours and ensure that you are eligible for the renewal of a practicing certificate
- Maintain high standards of professional conduct while generating adequate practice income, ensuring that the fees earned
- Bachelor of Laws Degree from a reputable university.
- Diploma in Legal Practice from the Law Development Centre.
- A master’s degree in law will be an added advantage.
- At least 3 practicing certificates with a minimum of 3 years working experience in a busy law firm.
- Please note: Due to the specific sectors we work in, only candidates with valid work experience in a Law Firm will be considered. We regret that will not accept applications outside of this area.
- Knowledge of MS Office, Excel, Powerpoint
- Excellent communication and listening skills
- The ability to explain complex information clearly and simply
- Plenty of drive, initiative, and motivation
- Attention to detail
- The ability to analyze and research information
- Creative problem-solving ability
- Excellent interpersonal and client-facing skills
- values of dependability, pragmatism & boldness
All applications will be received and Reviewed through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section