Global Programs for Research and Training
Reports To: Sr Software Developer
Liaise With: HIS Team
Established in 2016, the Global Programs for Research and Training, based in Kampala and Nairobi, is a Non-Governmental Organization to represent the University of California, San Francisco (UCSF) East Africa projects. UCSF’s Global Strategic Information (GSI) has worked closely with CDC/PEPFAR for over 8 years with a focus on strategic information (SI) and development of associated Health Information Systems (HIS). Additionally GSI has more than 10 years’ experience working on HIS in over 15 countries in sub-Saharan Africa (SSA), the Caribbean, Southeast Asia, and eastern Europe, providing high-level strategic thinking, technical assistance (TA) in the development of all levels of HIS systems, data presentation and interpretation, and local capacity building. UCSF works closely with multiple stakeholders including MOHs, various funders, institutions of higher education, and implementing partners (IP).
Currently, UCSF is a partner for CDC-funded development and implementation of an OpenMRS HIV Reference Implementation (OHRI). The program seeks to create a system of global support with buy-in from six selected countries (Uganda, Kenya, Mozambique, Nigeria, Haiti and Rwanda) for OHRI and has a focus on driving data exchange and interoperability across the HIS systems to improve efficiencies for providing patient care, improving program monitoring and leveraging analytics for data driven decision making. We will be working with University of Nairobi and Makerere University to help manage developers, collaborate in a community of practice, and ultimately build capacity in more junior developers.
The Senior Frontend Developer shall be responsible for ensuring the alignment of web design and user experience requirements, optimizing web pages for maximum efficiency and maintaining consistency across all pages. He/she will be required to work in a team alongside with Back end Developers, UX Designers, Business analysts to ensure project requirements are met consistently. The developer shall also ensure that the different software developed conforms to UCSF and country software development standards by overseeing a business analyst team conducting rigorous diagnosis, tests, code debugging, and technical documentation through reference manuals. Exposure to OpenMRS and systems integrations will be an advantage.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Work with HIS business analysts and developers to design software solutions by studying information needs; systems flow, data usage, and work processes while adhering to the software development lifecycle
• Work with UX Developer to determine the structure and design of web pages, ensuring user experience determines design choices
• Develop features to enhance the user experience, with the right balance between functional and aesthetic design
• Optimize web pages for maximum speed and scalability
• Develop OHRI program workflows from data collection forms, clinical dashboards with decision support summaries, monitoring and clinical reports
• Work with HIS business analysts, developers, and IT support staff to support the piloting, rollout, and maintenance of HIS systems in public health facilities.
• Work with HIS business analysts and developers to investigate, analyse and make recommendations to management regarding technology improvements, upgrades, and modifications.
• Work with HIS business analysts and project managers to analyse user needs and software requirements to determine feasibility of design within time and cost constraints.
• Work with HIS business analysts and developers to prepare reference materials for end and technical users by writing operating instructions, flowcharts, layouts, diagrams, charts, code comments and clear code
• Undertake such other tasks within the scope of the role as directed by leadership from time to time.
Required knowledge, skills and abilities
• Ability to meet deadlines against multiple priorities and schedules, as well as the ability to manage scope creep and immediately alert leadership of issues with timelines
• Ability to speak to high level leadership who may need technical descriptions and developments translated to ease understanding and acceptance
• Advanced experience in developing data-driven applications utilizing significant relational database engines as part of the overall application architecture (experience with any or all of the following highly desirable: PostgreSQL, MySQL, Oracle, MS SQL Server, H2 SQL)
• Experience with React and Micro-frontends-based architectures
• Proficiency developing and troubleshooting complex software systems that run in mixed-environments including Linux, Unix and/or Windows on desktop, server, tablet, and mobile systems
Qualifications and Experience
A Bachelor’s degree in Computer Science and Software Engineering and Information Systems with a minimum of five years’ experience in software development or working with Health Information Systems.
About the position
Duration: January 10th, 2022 – September 29, 2022 (with the possibility of extension for 3 additional years under Cooperative Agreement)
How to apply
Candidates must submit their CV in English, accompanied by a letter of application, to the email Info.Uganda@ucglobalprograms.org by December 3rd, 2021. Indicate the title of the position in the “subject” of the email and in the cover letter.