Amazima Ministries International’s mission is to live out the love of Jesus by educating and empowering the people of Uganda and the communities we serve.
The Registered Nurse is to provide high-quality medical services to all Amazima School children, staff, and community patients and to work closely with the Nursing Director to obtain a high level of medical care for all persons who are covered by Amazima Ministries. As a registered nurse, you will be expected to uphold a high standard of medical care, cooperation, organization, and attitude in the workplace.
The Registered Nurse will work at Amazima Ministries’ two clinics and report directly to the Nursing Director. The position is a full-time position, and the nurse will assist the medical department in taking care of the children. This includes an array of duties including education, treatment, and follow-up.
DUTIES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
- Reports to Buziika clinic and or the Amazima School to provide healthcare to Amazima students and staff.
- Works closely with Medical Director on medical cases of a complicated nature
- Work closely with the Scholarship Mentors and/or family mentors for case management
- Record, organize and maintain all medical records of any Amazima student, staff or community member that Amazima is medically responsible for treating
- Keep orderly records of distribution at Buziika medical clinic and The Amazima School Sick Bay and participate in Medical Inventory
- Provide health education and counseling to Amazima students as needed.
- Assist in health-training courses to further medical knowledge of mentors, students, staff and/ or community members
- Assess and address the needs of Amazima students as a whole. This includes but is not limited to assisting in programs such as sexual education, HIV screenings, immunization clinics, annual physical reviews, and general health education.
- Be able to identify learning gap areas and seek educational opportunities to enhance medical knowledge
- Participate in Amazima medical education sessions
- Make home visits within the Buziika community and provide medical treatment if needed.
- Make referrals to local clinics that Amazima partners with if medical treatment is needed that cannot be treated in the clinic.
- Travel on medical trips to various hospitals including, but not limited to, the cities of Kampala, Entebbe, or Mbale with approved children and community members and report findings and treatment to the Nursing Director.
- Follow a “phone on” policy at all times and answer phone calls from the Medical Director in case of emergency
- Be available for on-call shifts to triage and assess using the appropriate medical phone
- Education: Diploma or Bachelor's Degree
- Experience: At least 2 years experience in a clinic or hospital
- Able to speak Luganda and English fluently
- Current registration with the Uganda Nursing and Midwives Council
- Professing believer in Jesus Christ, which is indicated by an attitude and lifestyle of godliness
- Able to read, write and communicate effectively- including proficiency in typing and computer skills
- High level of critical thinking and ability to make quick decisions
Preferred: Experience working with children