Lively Minds Job Description – Head of Monitoring & Evaluation
Position: Head of Monitoring & Evaluation
Reports to: Chief Operating Officer
Based: Either in Ghana (Tamale office) or Uganda (Jinja office) or remote. Please note that if you are applying to work remotely you must be available to work within core UK hours. You will also need to travel to Ghana/Uganda several times in the year.
Salary: Starting salary £40,000 rising to £45,000 in year 2 subject to performance
Hours: Full time
Lively Mind is an award-winning NGO working to get pre-schoolers in rural Ghana and Uganda school-ready. One of the main barriers to school readiness is that parents in remote communities lack the information, education, and aspiration to provide basic and cheap opportunities for their children. Our behavior change program empowers uneducated & marginalized Mothers to run educational Play Schemes for pre-schoolers and to provide better home-based care, using cheap local resources. We are extremely proud that it has been proven through a randomized control trial to improve children’s cognitive and socio-emotional development and to reduce child acute malnutrition.
These are exciting times for Lively Minds. The Government of Ghana has adopted the Lively Minds program and we are now supporting them to scale it to over 4000 communities. We are also seeking to develop a similar partnership and scale-up strategy in Uganda. We plan to expand to other countries too over the next few years and are also exploring how we can take on more of a thought leadership role in the global ECD space. The Head of M&E will play a vital role in helping us achieve these goals.
We’re an ambitious team, determined to have a major positive impact on the world. We work hard, at a fast pace, in a challenging environment. We expect everyone to give their best to achieve the best possible results. Our work is demanding but provides plenty of opportunity for innovation, responsibility, growth, collaboration, creativity, and fun. We want all staff to be happy, fulfilled, and to feel appreciated and valued in their work.
To find out more about our program, please visit www.livelyminds.org.
About the role
We want the program and the organization to be data-driven. The Head of M&E will be responsible for optimizing our program and organizational systems, and running and maintaining dashboards so that we have access to real-time data to measure and guide progress and learning. In addition, the Head of M&E will coordinate with external evaluation teams (including the Institute for Fiscal Studies and the University of Yale who will be conducting a further RCT) to continue to measure impact and generate learnings to help us strengthen the program and our scale strategy
Main duties and responsibilities
• Be a member of the senior management team and contribute to the global strategy for Lively Minds
• Optimise information flow and dashboards to enable us, as well as government implementing partners, to get real-time data and analytics on operations, staff performance, financials to drive project management and decision making. This will include designing data capture (currently using KOBO/Clickmedix), validation, data cleansing, analysis, visualization, notification, and reporting processes.
• Work with government partners to identify ways to streamline M&E systems and tools
• Provide technical support to other senior managers to help them measure progress towards their results (including supporting the development of assessments, lean testing, user experience/focus groups, automated reports)
• Be responsible for commissioning and supporting the external impact and process evaluations, and ensuring that findings are shared internally to strengthen the program, and externally.
• Create powerful ways to showcase the program results to wide audiences including international policy-makers/sector experts, top-level government officials, academics, and funders. Create content including articles for publications, reports, presentations, speeches, blogs, website content, visualizations, impact reports
• Contribute to fundraising proposals and budgets donor reporting (outcome/output data)
• Coach and train the team and government partners to support them to use data to make decisions
• Be responsible for any M&E contracts and projects (i.e dashboard vendors)
We are looking for an M&E expert with the confidence and experience to set up and grow our M&E function as we go through a rapid period of transformative growth.
To succeed in this role, you will be
• An excellent communicator: able to adapt your communication style to give people the information they need to succeed in a clear, precise, convincing way.
• Analytical: able to analyze problems and find focussed ways to overcome them. Constantly monitoring progress and results to iterate and get the best result.
• Able to drive high performance in others by setting clear goals and expectations, role modeling, providing constant feedback and developmental opportunities.
• Creative, proactive, and energetic: bringing new ideas and a can-do attitude to get to the very best sustainable results.
• A team player that values and prioritizes inclusivity: helping to create a positive work environment where everyone is motivated and feels able to participate, learn, improve and contribute
• Able to deliver high-quality work in a fast-paced high-pressure environment with minimal supervision
• Manage resources in the most effective, efficient & sustainable way in the best interests of beneficiaries.
You must be
• Extremely proficient in Excel (familiar with functionality including tables, external data queries, index and lookup functions)
• Experienced in building simple to use, robust data entry forms
• Able to cleanse and process data from these forms and from other sources into databases (eg Excel, Access, SQL)
• Experienced in producing reports that clearly visualize information from these data in a way that allows others to make strategic decisions
• A strong communicator, able to make technical data understandable to and engaging for lay audiences (donors, stakeholders, other team members, beneficiaries)
• Familiar with statistical methods used in both quantitative and qualitative evaluations
• Able to manage large projects with minimal supervision
• Experienced in managing external contractors (eg independent evaluators)
• Familiar with the use of VBA to automate common tasks (for yourself and other users)
• Familiar with xlsForm (or similar formats used in survey design)
• Familiar with MS365 and PowerBI
How to apply
If this sounds like you, please complete an application form and send it together with your CV through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section by 13 June.
Due to resource constraints, we apologize, but we will only respond to shortlisted candidates.
Lively Minds operates a strict Child & Vulnerable Adult Protection Policy, and we, therefore, check the suitability of successful candidates through background checks consisting of references and police checks.
Lively Minds is fully committed to equity, diversity, and inclusion. We want this to be reflected in the diversity of the people who work for us and we welcome applications from people from all backgrounds and identities.