Plan International is an independent development and humanitarian organization that advances children’s rights and equality for girls. We believe in the power and potential of every child. However, this is often suppressed by poverty, violence, exclusion and discrimination, and it is girls who are most affected. Working together with children, young people, our supporters and partners in more than 70 countries across Africa, Asia and the Americas, Plan International’s purpose is to strive for a just world that advances children’s rights and equality of girls. We support children’s rights from birth until they reach adulthood. We enable children to prepare for – and respond to – crises and adversity. We drive changes in practice and policy at local, national and global levels using our reach, experience and knowledge. This role is responsible for driving PIU vehicles in accordance with the transport policy and procedures in order to enhance mobility of staff for efficiency and effectiveness.
- Minimum Qualification:Certificate
- Experience Level:Mid level
- Experience Length:3 years
Duties and Responsibilities:
The Driver provides transport services for staff and visitors; the job holder may interact with key external stakeholders in the course of performing her/his duties.
The Driver is required to think ahead in order to envision the best route, anticipate hazards, and to attend to the needs of travelers.
Good levels of proactivity are required (including informing staff or visitors in advance that they have been assigned to transport them, after the schedule is sent out) for ensuring that vehicles are properly maintained and in good condition.
This position is not responsible for managing a budget but may be entrusted with transporting small cash sums and valuable freight with an approximate value of €35,000 at any one time.
The main challenge faced by the Driver is the poor quality of driving generally in Uganda and the high degree of hazards presented by road conditions and other drivers. This requires the job holder to:
• Demonstrate skill in ‘defensive driving’, anticipating hazards and taking swift evasive action
• Drive in accordance with the rules of the road and good practice in road/vehicle safety, even when other drivers do not comply
• Take responsibility for the safety, security and wellbeing of passengers; having the assertiveness to stop and address an issue as required.
• Remain discreet and desist from being distracted with passenger conversations.
Level of contact with children
• This position has been classified as “low contact”: Limited interaction with children
Key result areas:
KRA 1: Transport Services
• Ensure the provision of transport services that will support PIU's staff in a safe, healthy, secure and environmentally sensitive manner; Support office administration:
• Observe and adhere to the safety precautions before and during driving taking into account prevailing weather and driving conditions to avoid accidents
• Drive vehicles carefully and safely in accordance with the traffic laws and regulations of Uganda, and with PIU policies and procedures including the fleet management manual
• Give attention to the physical wellbeing of passengers, providing comfort breaks and other assistance as required; at all times treating passengers with courtesy and friendliness
• Deliver and collect mail and other documents to and from various offices, post office regularly and ensure its safety as and when requested
• Support the administrative function in collecting ordered office supplies/ consumables
• Run office errands as requested
KRA 2: Vehicle Management
• Ensure proper maintenance and management of PIU’s vehicles; In collaboration with the Fleet Coordinator, ensure the procurement of all the goods and services necessary for timely and environmentally sensitive completion of PIU's fleet:
• Carry out daily inspection checks to ensure that the vehicle is in good running order with valid insurance policies; record any cases requiring future action
• Ensuring that vehicles are equipped with all necessary breakdown and safety equipment and that such are in full working order
• Conduct monthly inspection of the assigned vehicle and inform the supervisor of any observation that needs attention
• Keep the vehicle in a clean condition in order to uphold the image of PIU and for the convenience of the users
• Monitor vehicle due date servicing and report on any need for repair
• Serve as the contact person for vehicle repairs and servicing and review invoices and services reports before they are submitted for payment
• Follow up to ensure that maintenance work is done on time and inspect vehicles after repair or maintenance work has been completed to ensure that repairs are completed satisfactorily to the required standard
KRA 3: Reporting
• Ensure vehicle records are kept up to date, and timely reports submitted:
• Record the place of destination before departure and complete the vehicle usage record to indicate vehicle movement
• Make motor vehicle monthly fuel reconciliations, reports and fleet compliance reports
• Identify and report all mechanical faults and any accidents immediately to the supervisor so that appropriate action is taken
• Train and test drivers and riders as may be requested, and submit the recommendation to the supervisor
KRA 4: Safeguarding, Gender Equality & Inclusion
• Ensure that Plan International’s global policies for Safeguarding Children and Young People and Gender Equality and Inclusion are fully embedded in accordance with the principles and requirements of the policy including relevant Implementation Standards and Guidelines as applicable to their area of responsibility. This includes, but is not limited to ensuring staff and associates are aware of and understand their responsibilities under these policies and Plan International’s Code of Conduct (CoC), their relevance to their area of work, and that concerns are reported and managed in accordance with the appropriate procedures.
• An O level certificate
• Valid driving license for classes CM, DL & DM, with no penalties
• A certificate in Defensive Driving is desirable
• A certificate in Customer care is an added advantage
• At least 3 years’ experience working as a driver, in relatively large organizations of similar complexity to Plan International
Myself as a Leader
Behaves in line with our values, bringing energy and commitment to the task of safeguarding girls, children, young people, vulnerable adults and colleagues; constructive and optimistic in facing challenges and change.
Focuses effort where it will make the best contribution to PIU's purpose and strategic goals; takes the initiative to find new and better ways of doing work.
Open & Accountable
Understands and adheres to the policies, processes, practices and standards relevant to own work; honest and efficient in use of resources, including own time.
Work Well Together
Acts as a good team player, communicating effectively and being open and supportive towards those around them; is aware of the potential impact of their behavior on others and makes sensitive choices.
Inclusive & Empowering
Collaborates with team members, colleagues and partners in an active and engaged manner; shares information, experience and ideas with the aim of helping or empowering others.
Skills & Knowledge
Takes responsibility for own performance and development: reflecting, seeking and listening to feedback, learning from mistakes, finding people or resources to help them learn, keeping knowledge and skills up to date.
Critical Business Management Competencies
• Good track record of planning and organizing work effectively; managing time to deliver results against agreed priorities, objectives and quality requirements, to time and within budget.
• Good track record of responding positively to organizational change initiatives; demonstrated openness to new ideas and willingness to put learning into practice in the workplace.
• Good written and spoken communication skills, including in English, with an ability to effectively adjust content and presentation so as to connect with an audience.
• Good teamworking skills, including an ability to listen well to others, appreciate viewpoints, and respond positively to diversity.
Critical Technical Competencies
• Knowledge of basic Mechanical repairs
• Basic computer knowledge
• Defensive Driving
How to apply
Click on the 'Apply Here' section to be redirected to the application portal.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.