Education Development Center (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work. EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives. The ICYD Activity is expected to achieve the following:
1. Children and youth have improved learning outcomes;
2. Children and youth are safe and healthy in their community and learning environments; and
3. Youth practice positive behaviors and are able to make informed decisions about their lives and relationships.
This Activity will address the mutually reinforcing relationship between improving learning outcomes and improving wellbeing and employ a comprehensive approach that merges PEPFAR/OVC’s strengths in acute vulnerability stabilization with education’s broad protective effects.
The Zonal Finance Officer will provide financial management support to the specific zonal office for all operations and program activities. S/he will be responsible for processing advances, reconciliation of advances, payment to vendors, travel reimbursement for zonal staff, request for funds transfer from the Kampala Head Office and preparation of bank reconciliation reports among other responsibilities. This position reports to the Senior Zone Manager and will work in close collaboration with the Senior Finance Officer for Zonal Operations in Kampala. This is a full-time position based in Wakiso Zonal Office.
• Process wire transfers and payments; prepare vouchers; review and certify that all supporting documentation is compliant with local tax laws, as well as USAID and EDC policies;
• Participate in budget planning and tracking in collaboration with the Senior Zone Manager;
• Coordinate, manage and account for all mobile money payments emanating from the zonal office;
• Record financial transactions in QuickBooks completely and correctly;
• Conduct bank transactions to the maximum extent possible using Stanbic Business Online;
• Maintain all necessary accounting records as appropriate and ensure they are acceptable for audit purposes;
• Scan and file all accounting documentation on a monthly basis per EDC file retention policies;
• Any other duties relevant to the position as may be assigned by the Senior Zone Manager.
Minimum of a Bachelor’s Degree in Finance, Accounting, Business Computing, Business Administration, or any related field. Must have at least 6 years of progressively responsible and directly relevant experience is required. An advanced degree is an added advantage.
Skills and Experience
• Extensive knowledge of and financial management experience with USAID funded programs
• Excellent skills in Excel and Word;
• In-depth skills and knowledge of accounting software, especially QuickBooks;
• Expense tracking and reporting;
• Budget variance tracking and reporting;
• Experience with online banking and mobile money management;
• Experience with USAID VAT reporting;
• Effective oral and written communication skills in English;
• Team player;
• Strong analytical and problem-solving skills.
Fluency in English is required.
How to apply.
Click on the 'Apply Here' section to be redirected to the application portal.