Abt Associates, a major American business and government research, technical assistance, and consulting company, manages the USAID-funded Vector Control Task Order 1. Task Order 1 supports the U.S. President’s Malaria Initiative (PMI) and USAID in planning and implementing an integrated vector control approach with the overall goal of reducing the burden of malaria. Abt has implemented indoor residual spraying (IRS) for PMI since 2010, delivering high-quality IRS programs and gathering the most comprehensive vector control entomological data in the world. Under this contract, Abt will expand entomological monitoring to guide programs focused on insecticide-treated mosquito nets and IRS and continue to assist PMI in reducing the burden of malaria through IRS and capacity building in 22 African countries where malaria is endemic. Abt will also continue to support PMI in IRS monitoring and evaluation, as well as environmental compliance.
Abt Associates seeks two qualified candidates for the Insectary Technician position based at Muni University in Arua City,
Working under the supervision of the Entomology Field Coordinator, the Insectary Technician will support the MOH’s and Project’s IRS entomological monitoring studies and research activities in Uganda through the management of the mosquito insectary to rear susceptible malaria vectors (An. gambiae s.s.) as directed by the responsible officers. This position may require some limited visits to the field sites for mosquito collection.
Key Roles and Responsibilities
- Maintain and care for the insectary and the animal (rabbit) house on a daily basis.
- Ensure the feeding of the mosquito colony and laboratory (Rabbits) animals
- Ensure that enough susceptible mosquitoes are available for entomological monitoring activities whenever needed.
- Ensure that rabbits are readily available and healthy for feeding the mosquitoes.
- Ensure at all times that there are no crawling, walking, flying or resting insects or spiders in the insectary other than larval and adult mosquitoes in cages.
- Monitor the correct temperature and relative humidity in the insectary.
- Dress, care and maintain the mosquito cages.
- Ensure that the towels, mosquito cages and larval dishes are clean.
- Ensure the availability of consumables for the mosquitoes and rabbits.
- Budget for and request for the necessary consumables for the insectary.
- Ensure the appropriate storage of equipment and animal food.
- Adhere to the Standard Operational Procedures (SOPs) for these activities.
- Restrict the unauthorized entry of visitors/personnel into the insectary and animal house.
- Keep the inventory and proper records of the insectary.
- Ensure proper functioning, maintenance, care, and protection of insectary properties.
- Participate in project/ MOH vector control operational research activities.
- Compile reports of relevant entomological studies conducted and submit them to the Field Entomology Coordinator
- Observe ethical and professional conduct according to the School of Entomology and Parasitology and Ministry of Health ethics.
- Observe confidentiality of the insectary data.
- Report any challenges encountered in the interest of the insectary immediately to NMCP, PMI VectorLink Project and Muni University authorities and Arua City Local authorities.
- Document any lessons learned regarding the proper maintenance and functioning of the insectary
- Perform any other duty assigned by Abt Associates Inc.
- Diploma in Entomology and Parasitology.
- At least two years of relevant experience in insectary management and related entomology activities.
- Ability to take initiative, make appropriate decisions, and manage insectary effectively.
- Advanced written and oral skills in English.
- Excellent computer skills, computer software programs, including MSWord, Excel, and PowerPoint.
- Excellent interpersonal skills, ability to coordinate well with personnel within and outside the project, meet deadlines, and work with minimal supervision.
- Abt Associates is an Affirmative Action/Equal Opportunity employer committed to fostering a diverse workforce. Abt Associates provides market-competitive salaries and comprehensive employee benefits. Local candidates are strongly encouraged to apply.
Disclaimer: Abt Associates will never ask candidates for money in exchange for an offer of employment.
Click on the 'Apply Here' section to submit your application.