To provide educational support, assessment, counselling, career guidance and coaching for children at the S.A.L.V.E. site or in our Education progamme to help them to flourish in their personal physical, emotional and educational wellbeing including sports, arts and play, computer, primary and basic secondary level classes.
- Minimum Qualification:Diploma
- Experience Level:Entry level
- Experience Length:2 years
S.A.L.V.E. International is looking to recruit a Teacher with social work skills – could it be you?
Teacher: This is a full time role for someone with the heart and passion to teach and inspire children who were living on the streets in Uganda so that they can have a brighter future through education. They will be someone who works well with others in a team. They will be able to plan and run engaging interactive lessons and coaching sessions for children, and be a person who likes to do their work to a high quality. They will also have good time keeping and be able to keep good records in files and on the computers. They should also have a special interest and knowledge in counselling children and be interested to develop in this area. They should additionally be proactive, flexible and hard working.
Title: Teacher (with social work skills)
Location: S.A.L.V.E. International Uganda (Jinja District) – Based at our main site in Namulesa
• To provide educational support, assessment, counselling, career guidance and coaching for children at the S.A.L.V.E. site or in our Education progamme to help them to flourish in their personal physical, emotional and educational wellbeing including sports, arts and play, computer, primary and basic secondary level classes.
• To raise awareness and support for the work of S.A.L.V.E. International in Jinja and Uganda as a whole.
• To support other members of the S.A.L.V.E. team in their roles as needed with advice or assistance to ensure the overall aims of the organisation are met.
The following activities are intended as a guide to the main responsibilities of the post and are not an exhaustive list of duties and tasks. The post holder may be required to undertake other duties that are not listed below, at the request of their manager. The job description may be amended from time to time after consultation with the post holder.
• To run engaging and interactive educational sessions for children undergoing rehabilitation at our S.A.L.V.E. site. These are will include core subjects such as English and Maths, but be majority focused on life skills. For example, you could be teaching English and art one day and leadership skills and sports the next.
• To offer one to one tutoring and coaching for children who are struggling in particular classes. Children who are struggling will be referred to you by S.A.L.V.E.’s social workers for a set period of time during the school holidays or during their time of rehabilitation.
• To use the available lesson plans to teach the children and develop them and other lesson plans that can help with teaching the children at S.A.L.V.E.
• To help with educational assessment and career guidance of children at the S.A.L.V.E. site and in our Educational Support programme so that the organisation can know their education level and needs.
• To case manage a group of children in our Educational Support programme i.e. make sure they get the right resources, counselling and career guidance to thrive in education and plan for their future career.
• To visit children in S.A.L.V.E.’s Educational Support to check on their progress at school and find out any areas where they are struggling as guided by your manager.
• -To manage the SALVE library, ensure its well organised and keeping good records of all the books.
• To attend and support the children’s meetings at S.A.L.V.E.
• To counsel the children brought to the SALVE site and keep good counselling notes in the child’s file.
• To occasionally stay at the S.A.L.V.E. site to give extra care for the children as required by your manager.
• To provide extra support to the home assistants in the S.A.L.V.E. homes where needed i.e. take a child to the clinic in case of a child needing medical care as guided by your manager.
• To assist in developing project proposals for the organisation and in contributing in S.A.L.V.E.s communications and story writing as required by your manager.
In order to be considered for this post you will have to demonstrate that you already have:
• Experience of coaching and teaching children.
• Experience of computer skills.
• Experience of working effectively as part of a team.
• Qualifications: Diploma or degree holder in Primary Education
Work based knowledge:
• A demonstrable understanding of teaching and developing children’s educational abilities.
• Ability to create and run creative and interesting educational and coaching activities.
• Counselling/ social work skills would be beneficial.
• Excellent attention to detail, administration and organisational skills.
• Planning and implementation skills.
• Ability to work well with other team members and develop positive relationships.
• Proven ability to use organisational finances wisely.
• Self-motivated and able to work on own initiative, under pressure and to tight deadlines.
Salary: This is a staff role for an active person who wants to help children catch up and thrive in their education. We will give you 700,000 Ugandan shillings gross pay per month as salary during your probation period. After passing your 6 month probation period and being confirmed into post this salary would rise. You will receive a transport allowance to help you to transport yourself to your base of work. Then any further travel for the role will be covered by the organisation. Lunch will be provided.
How to apply.
Click here for the full role description
Learn more about our work by clicking here.
Call: 07775 38083 for more info if needed after reading the job description.
Please apply: by submitting your 1 page covering letter explaining how you fit the job role description and your CV to email@example.com. Applications given in printed copy will not be considered.
The deadline for submission of applications is Wednesday 5th October 2022.
The interviews will be conducted on Monday 10th October (for shortlisted candidates only).
Please only apply if you are a Ugandan national (either male or female) over 21 years old with teaching experience, excellent computer knowledge and skills, as well as a passion for the work we do.
Only shortlisted candidates will be called for interviews.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.