Report to: Associate Emergency Response Director
Location: Arua, West Nile, Uganda
Purpose of the position:
The SUPREME Programme Manager will lead a consortium of five organisations (World Vision, ZOA, RICE-West Nile, SNV, and VisionFund) in the implementation of a 4-year livelihoods grant under the EU Trust Fund’s Security, Protection and Economic Empowerment (SUPREME) programme in the West Nile sub-region of Uganda. The post will be based in World Vision’s Arua office with frequent travel to the target settlements and host communities in Arua, Madi Okollo, Obongi and Moyo, as well as regular travel to Kampala.
Under the supervision of the Associate Emergency Response Director, the SUPREME Programme Manager will have direct engagement with government senior staff, partners, EUTF, WV UK and other stakeholders on technical or project related delivery aspects. The SUPREME Programme Manager will lead the consortium management hub (consisting of the Finance Coordinator, Monitoring, Evaluation, Accountability & Learning Coordinator, the Reporting & Compliance Officer and the Communications Officer).
The SUPREME Programme Manager, through a dotted line (except for the WV Uganda Component Manager), will supervise the partner Component Managers for ZOA, RICE-WN and SNV. Each organisation will each have a dedicated manager who manages and oversees their specific project component (Component Managers), ensuring appropriate support to the consortium partners according to identified needs.
Leadership and Programme Management
• Functions as Project lead for the EUTF Supreme programme and monitor the progress of the programme to ensure that World Vision delivers the quality outcomes agreed upon, outputs and services as formulated in the approved project proposal. Provide advice on changes and improvements where needed.
• Provide leadership, supervision, and oversight to improve the performance of all program activities, ensuring efficient and effective program implementation including the timely completion of high-quality work plans, accurate reports, and other mandated deliverables.
• Work with the MEAL Coordinator and consortium partners in preparing project work-plans with clear objectives and achievable benchmarks, reflecting strategic long-term and short-term priorities.
• Maintain clear, regular and effective lines of communication with relevant GoU stakeholders and consortium partners.
• Regularly review the program strategy to ensure relevance and enhance program impact by suggesting appropriate alternative strategies and changes to the technical working groups.
• Ensure all programme-based needs and requirements are timely and efficiently shared with support services for best coordinated implementation.
• Provide excellent standards in the management of the human, financial and technical resources of the organization, which includes inspiring and maintaining high standards of work and clear accountability to stakeholders.
• Establish a consultative and participative management environment that engages and develops World Vision project teams, combining National office and global office staff, to deliver on donor obligations hence meeting program commitment priorities.
• In consultation with the Associate Emergency Response Director, identify opportunities to complement services under the program through identifying, leveraging and creating linkages with other projects where appropriate.
• Ensure monthly and quarterly reporting to WVUK, EU Trust Fund and WNRR/WV highlighting implementation status, challenges and key plans for the following months in an acceptable format or a format agreed/provided by the parties.
• Maintain a close liaison on programmatic issues with World Vision UK and the EU Trust Fund beyond contractual reporting requirements.
Financial & Operational Compliance
• Ensure program quality adherence, contractual compliance and timely reporting.
• In collaboration with the Finance Manager, ensure responsibility for programme expenditure, financial accountability and planning requirements, and provide a high level of support to program processes and procedures. Monitor the overall financial integrity of programme funds through grant management, monitoring and evaluation.
• Provide capacity building to program staff to strengthen the organizational practices that result in successful financial and operational audit scores and take lead in the implementation of audit recommendations as per the findings.
Representation and Communication
• Develop and maintain close relationships with World Vision UK, the EU Trust Fund, consortium partners, the Office of the Prime Minister (OPM) and other relevant stake holders.
• Ensure that World Vision programmes and partnerships are actively represented in coordination structures. Share progress and update on programme activities within the partnership and relevant donors.
• Contribute to the development of project related documents such as success stories and publications.
• Facilitate documentation of stories and media materials with children interest related to World Vision policies and liaise with concerned units for broader coverage (digital and printed, media).
• Adhere to branding and other communication activities as agreed with the donor in the project agreement.
Contribute to Knowledge Management and Innovation
• Contribute to the development and introduction of innovation to ensure World Vision is continually incorporating best practice approaches in operations.
• Contribute to the dissemination and sharing of best practices and lessons learned for corporate development planning and knowledge building.
Child Protection and Wellbeing
• Work to protect children from child violations and abuses
• Sensitize stakeholders about children’s rights and responsibilities.
Qualifications: Education/Knowledge/Technical Skills and Experience
• Master’s Degree in a relevant field or equitable work experience
• At least 7 years proven experience with project management, and team coaching, and managerial capacity in women leadership, Economic Development and Livelihood and programme development/implementation
• Experience of managing systems and tools to oversee complex programme portfolios across different sectors and locations as well as within a consortium.
• Experience in working with international, national and local actors and capacity building of national and local organizations on private sector development
• Familiarity with EU grant compliance requirements and socio-economic landscape of Uganda is preferred.
• Previous experience managing a portfolio of programs in developing countries
• Experience of managing or leading a team of professional staff and a range of stakeholders in a high value donor funded consortium project of at least EUR 10 Million.
• Excellent interpersonal, co-ordination and negotiation skills, and the ability to establish and maintain effective working relations with people in a multi-cultural, multi-ethnic environment with sensitivity and respect for diversity.
• Strong commitment to integrity, professionalism, creativity and innovation, learning, accountability, planning and organization, results orientation, teamwork and technological solutions.
• Very good experience and understanding of project Start-up and Close-out
• Proven skills on leading the proposal development process and technical writing
• Demonstrable experience of driving advocacy, communications, and fundraising approaches.
• Proven experience of representing externally to key stakeholders, maintaining donor relations.
• Ability to live and work under pressure in a rapidly changing and sometimes insecure environment
Job application procedure
All suitably qualified candidates should submit applications together with detailed Curriculum Vitae, photocopies of academic and other relevant documents, names and addresses of three referees to the Permanent Secretary, Ministry of Energy and Mineral Development. Attn: Principal Human Resource Officer. Amber House, Second Floor Room, A 205, Kampala Road, Opposite Workers House not later than 14th August, 2020 at 5:00pm. The detail of the Job Advertisement (The Job duties and responsibilities) for the above positions can also be obtained from the Ministry's website: www.energyandminerals.go.ug
Please NOTE: The interviews for Askari and Cleaners will be held at the Regional offices.
PERMANENT SECRETARY Apply through this link: https://careers.wvi.org/jobs/uganda/food-security-and-livelihood/re-advert-supreme-programme-manager-arua-west-nile-uganda/13736