The Mercy Corps Sub-award and Compliance Team supports all financial and compliance aspects of subgranting. In its role as a support to the Uganda Country Program, the Sub-ward and Compliance Team is responsible for ensuring subrecipients are compliant with donor regulations as well as Mercy Corps’ internal policies and procedures. It supports the Program team to ensure that financial resources are used efficiently and effectively. The Team is involved in pre-award and due diligence processes, contracting, financial report support, reviews, and approvals, payments, capacity development, compliance reviews and audits, close-out. The Team is also a main actor in ensuring Sub-award strategy is embedded in programming, by providing on-the-job and ad-hoc support to Partners on all finance and compliance related issues in order to ensure compliance and also importantly to build the financial and compliance capacity of Partners.
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Senior level
- Experience Length:5 years
GENERAL POSITION SUMMARY:
Working in the Sub-award and Compliance Team under the direction of the Subawards and Compliance Manager , the Senior Subawards Finance Officer will work closely with Partners to ensure exhaustive financial reporting in compliance with donor and MC subawards policies and procedures.
ESSENTIAL JOB FUNCTIONS:
Sub grant Management
• Serve as focal point for partner financial management, including attendance at kick off meetings, monitoring meetings and closeout meetings, financial focal point for formal and informal partner support and capacity development, and kick off, implementation and closeout (including payments, financial reports, audits and so on);
• Conduct Partner due diligence (Including, Partner Pre-award assessment of financial responsibility, COI and RPS) and recommends for substantial involvements and compliance requirements and modifications to the sub-grant agreement and/or monitoring plan to lessen financial and compliance risks;
• Follow up, collect and review sub grantees financial reports and fund requests, keep up-to-date records and report all sub grantees financial status. Review sub grantees financial reports for correctness, completeness, timeliness and compliance;
• Perform sub grantee monitoring visit for financial and programmatic deliverables review or audit and report findings with recommendation to the supervisor communicate agreed upon findings to the sub grantees and follow up its implementation;
• Handle sub grants close-outs ensuring that all requirements of the sub grant agreement have been met and that sub grant funds have been properly settled;
• Ensure Partner Tracker up to date and accurate as a monitoring tool for wider use, and provide biweekly reports to Subaward Finance Coordinator using this tool;
• Review and track all sub grants and grants/budget purchases and contracts and other commitments. Update the contracts and communicate monthly;
• Maintain sub grant files and ensure they are well labeled, fully updated with all contracts, submitted reports, governing clauses and all other relevant documents;
• Support Subawards and Compliance Manager to update the partnership compliance process as needed;
• Travel regularly to other locations to manage, support and train team members in all locations.
Perform subgrantee site monitoring visits as per monitoring plan and provide report to Subawards and Compliance Manager;
Assist the Subawards and Compliance Manager with subaward audit process, including tracking of which subawards require audits, supporting the partner through the process, and review of audit reports;
Ensure dissemination of knowledge within staff of MC process and procedures, including subgrant manual,
• Monitor, plan and prepare program cash flow requirements relating to subgrant payments, and coordinate with the Finance department) to ensure effective cash flow monitoring and smooth implementation of Mercy Corps programs.
• Prepare schedule of fund transfers to partners for review by Subawards and Compliance Manager , to provide to Finance department (Fund Transfer Unit). Coordinate with Finance department (Fund Transfer Unit) to ensure efficient transfer of funds to subrecipients.
• Work with Programs Teams and Finance department (Senior Finance Officer, Accounting Coordinator, Finance Manager) to ensure effective budget management with regards to subrecipient budgets and forecasts.
• Work with the Finance Team on grant BvAs (subgrant information) as required. Closely monitor sub grants to ensure that sub grantees are not overspent;
• Ensure schedules of fund transfers and phased budgets are in place for all partners.
• Coordinate with Finance department (including Subaward and Compliance Manager) with regards to donor compliance and audits.
• Support the Finance Team on new proposals (providing summary subgrant budget information) as required.
• Track VAT/DUTY taxes exemptions, reimbursements for USAID and other donors as per their specific requirements.
Coordination and Representation
• Participate in sharing best practices with NGOs and governmental agencies working in similar environment;
• Coordinate with other Mercy Corps Field finance teams as required to share best practices,
Payments/Transfers to partners
• Managing the Cash transferring mechanism (Payments to Partner), by working closely with the partners and the appropriate MC team member in order to facilitate all payment in an effective and efficient way. This includes coordination with the Finance Department (Fund Transfers).
• Track and update partner cash transfer mechanisms e.g. partner payment tracker
• Work with partners on developing cash handling protocols/SOPs as required.
• Create and sustain a dynamic and participatory work environment of mutual respect where team members strive to achieve excellence;
• Promote accountability, communicate expectations and provide constructive feedback via regular performance reviews;
• Contribute to country team-building efforts, help team members identify problem solving options and ensure the integration of all team members into relevant decision-making processes;
• Provide training and guidance as appropriate to team members about sub grant processes.
Accounting & Navigator
Responsible for uploading financial reports on Navigator (statistical ledger for Subawards) in coordination with the Finance Department;
Other accounting tasks related to Navigator and reconciliation assigned by the Sub-award & Compliance Manager.
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts towards accountability, specifically to our beneficiaries and to international standards guiding international relief and development work, while actively engaging beneficiary communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
As part of our commitment to organizational learning and in support of our understanding that learning organizations are more effective, efficient and relevant to the communities they serve - we expect all team members to commit 5% of their time to learning activities that benefit Mercy Corps as well as themselves.
Subawards Finance Officer - Gulu
REPORTS DIRECTLY TO: Subawards and Compliance Manager
WORKS DIRECTLY WITH: Partner Organizations, Sub-awards & Compliance Team, other Finance staff, Program and Operations Staff.
KNOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE:
• Bachelor’s degree in Accounting or Finance is required.
• 5+years’ experience in grants and financial management and accounting and 2+year’s supervisory experience.
• Strong management Skills, Technical & Supervisory Skills and experience required.
• Strong knowledge of, and experience in donor regulations including USAID and FCDO, and management of sub grants required.
• Adequate understanding of donor rules and regulations is required.
• International NGO/PVO experience required.
• Demonstrated experience and skill with financial reports preparation and presentation and proven ability to translate technical financial data into informative reports.
• Advanced computer skills in MS Office programs, particularly Excel and accounting software experience.
• Excellent oral and written English skills.
• Willing to travel regularly to Mercy Corps and sub grantees field offices and project sites approximately 50%.
How to apply
Click on the 'Apply Here' section to be redirected to the application portal.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.