Senior Procurement Specialist
The World Bank
Software & Data
Provides technical fiduciary services on procurement activities and engage in policy dialogue to strengthen procurement systems in client countries.
- Minimum Qualification:Masters
- Experience Level:Senior level
- Experience Length:8 years
Working at the World Bank Group provides a unique opportunity for you to help our clients solve their greatest development challenges. The World Bank Group is one of the largest sources of funding and knowledge for developing countries; a unique global partnership of five institutions dedicated to ending extreme poverty, increasing shared prosperity and promoting sustainable development. With 189 member countries and more than 120 offices worldwide, we work with public and private sector partners, investing in groundbreaking projects and using data, research, and technology to develop solutions to the most urgent global challenges. Visit www.worldbank.org.
Application Deadline: 3/15/2023
Eastern and Southern Africa (AFE) Region
We need the best and brightest talent focused on our region in order to harness the potential and innovation happening across the continent. Home to about 700 million of Africa’s people, Eastern and Southern Africa is a geographically, culturally and economically diverse region of 26 countries stretching from the Red Sea in the North to the Cape of Good Hope in the South. The subregion harbors some of Africa’s protracted conflicts, rendering many of its countries fragile, while significant gaps in education, health, and skills development continues to keep people from reaching their full potential. This creates a huge development challenge, impacts heavily on the lives and livelihoods of people, and hinders regional integration and trade! But it also creates an opportunity to work closely with country leaders, civil society, development partners, and young people to chart a brighter course for the future.
More information about Eastern and Southern Africa (AFE) Region: https://www.worldbank.org/en/region/afr/eastern-and-southern-africa
The Governance Global Practice (GGP) comprises a variety of different professional disciplines working on public institutions, including procurement, public sector management, governance and anti-corruption, and financial management.
GGP’s Procurement Department convenes a leading group of practitioners focused on advancing cutting-edge practices and innovations in the fields of procurement, anti-corruption and open government. To enhance its capacity, the Department seeks to recruit/appoint a highly organized, energized and experienced professional, capable of operating effectively.
The Africa East and Southern (AFE) unit of the GGP-Procurement Department is largely decentralized and based in the 25+ country offices. The Procurement team in AFE is managed by an Accredited Practice Manager (PM) who is based at Nairobi. AFE GGP Procurement Department seeks to recruit a locally hired Senior Procurement Specialist to be based in Kampala, Uganda to provide support for the Uganda portfolio. The Senior Procurement Specialist will be working under the oversight and guidance of the Procurement Hub Coordinator based in Nairobi who reports to the AFE Accredited Practice Manager based in Nairobi.
Job Duties and Responsibilities:
- Provides technical fiduciary services on procurement activities and engage in policy dialogue to strengthen procurement systems in client countries.
- Supports clients in achieving value for money (VFM) in public procurement in order to enhance service delivery and development outcomes with integrity.
- Understands relevant procurement markets using analytical tools and approaches to define more effective procurement strategies.
- Participates in missions and plays a key role in developing practical approaches to procurement while simultaneously dealing with difficult policy and operational issues.
- Prepares and/or comments on draft operational directives and policy papers; produces major/complex reports.
- Develops and promotes innovations in Bank procurement policies to improve Bank project and sector work while serving as a recognized authority on operational procurement, advising management and procurement staff on strategy and long-range interventions on procurement policy systemic issues and related operational issues across sectors.
- Contributes to the Bank's efforts in promoting procurement reform dialogue, working in close collaboration with Governance sector colleagues and in professionalizing the function of procurement. Makes significant contributions to the development of client country procurement systems, including supporting the assessment of systems, creating country capacity, influencing the design, reform and strengthening of institutional capacity within borrower entities and monitoring the reform initiatives in client countries
- Handles procurement cases subject to Practice Manager and Operations Policy Review Committee (OPRC) reviews and verifies that they are properly prepared and presented for clearance.
- Ensures the use of electronic tools, e.g., Systematic Tracking of Exchanges in Procurement (STEP) to track exchanges with the clients and performance of key fiduciary metrics covering the operations portfolio, as well as the unit's own work program deliverables.
- Designs and delivers capacity building workshops for Bank staff and borrowers.
Carrying out the responsibilities of the Senior Procurement Specialist, will involve interaction with TTLs, program leaders and practice managers, and with government officials, counterparts in other international organizations and Governance-Public Sector and -Financial Management specialists. The Senior Procurement Specialist, is a key player in building and maintaining relations with both internal and external parties, including sectors, CMUs, and government officials. This is particularly important when considering the responsibility to engage the governments in advancing policy dialogue on public procurement reform.
The work implies frequent interaction with the following stakeholders:
- Management in the duty station and in some occasions in HQ or other countries.
- Government officials and equivalent contacts in other international organizations, partner entities, etc.
- Procurement specialists within the World Bank and government units.
- Counterparts in the Bank across VPUs, Global Practices and other units involved in meeting the Bank’s business objectives.
- Other external constituencies and expert groups.
- Master’s degree in a relevant field (e.g. business administration, engineering, commerce, law, procurement, etc.)
- Minimum of 8 years of relevant experience in carrying out technical duties in public procurement or Donor/MDB financed project procurement
- Knowledge of the concepts, principles and practices governing international procurement, with the ability to translate concepts into operational work, such as VFM, sustainable procurement, strategic sourcing, market analysis, contract management, etc...
- Ability to deal sensitively in a multi-cultural environment and build effective working relations with clients and colleagues.
- High levels of integrity.
- Excellent command of English.
- Knowledge on institutions and procurement reforms in Borrower’s countries.
- Good knowledge of concepts, principles and approaches to international procurement and of public procurement systems.
- Knowledge of Fragility, Conflict and Violence Context - Applies to operations and analytical tasks a substantive understanding of fragility, conflict and violence, etc.
The World Bank Group offers comprehensive benefits, including a retirement plan; medical, life and disability insurance; and paid leave, including parental leave, as well as reasonable accommodations for individuals with disabilities.
We are proud to be an equal opportunity and inclusive employer with a dedicated and committed workforce, and do not discriminate based on gender, gender identity, religion, race, ethnicity, sexual orientation, or disability.
How to Apply:
Click on the 'Apply Here' section to be redirected to the application portal.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.