. The Senior Accountant will play a critical role in implementing and optimising the group policies and procedures in addition to compliance and taxation. They will manage a team and will directly report to the Head of Finance.
- Minimum Qualification: Bachelor
- Experience Level: Senior level
- Experience Length: 5 years
Tugende uses asset finance, technology, and a customer-centric model to help informal sector entrepreneurs dramatically increase their economic trajectory. Tugende’s core asset finance packages include medical and life insurance, training, safety equipment, and digital credit profiles in addition to affordable asset financing for SMEs. By helping clients grow economically and build digital track records of responsibility, we are creating a long-term ecosystem for MSMEs to grow and thrive.
Tugende is tackling the credit gap for small businesses in Africa by enabling informal entrepreneurs to 1) own income‑generating assets, 2) build a verifiable digital credit profile, and 3) earn future growth opportunities through the Tugende digital platform. This platform includes discounts, smartphones, e‑commerce opportunities, and on‑demand credit lines. Tugende has financed 70,000+ clients and has hundreds of employees serving clients across 23 branches in Uganda and 10 in Kenya.
About this role
We are looking for a Senior Accountant who is an experienced professional in Finance with a practical mind and attention to detail. The ideal candidate will be responsible for numerous financial activities in the organization including various planning and control tasks, consolidation,
and reporting. The Senior Accountant will play a critical role in implementing and optimizing the group policies and procedures in addition to compliance and taxation. They will manage a team and will directly report to the Head of Finance.
The successful candidate will exemplify and embrace Tugende’s Core Values of Integrity, Empathy, Solutions Oriented, Working as a Team and Always Growing.
- Monitor the day-to-day financial operations within the company (Invoicing,
- Receipting, Stock movements, and other transactions)
- Lead monthly and annual reporting cycles including the budget cycle.
- Participate in strategic data analysis, research, and modeling for senior company leadership
- Support project analysis, validation of plans, and ad-hoc requests
- Manage the company’s financial accounting, monitoring, and reporting systems
- Ensure compliance with accounting policies and regulatory requirements including taxes
- Taking care of liquidity forecasts and cash management
- Participating and assisting in audits
- Regularly review and test controls with the aim of business process improvement and strengthening of the financial controls
The successful role holder should be able to combine Finance skills, Analytical mindset, and Behavioral and Leadership skills in partnering with key stakeholders towards strengthening and maintaining excellence in financial management.
- Demonstrated experience in Financial Accounting and Implementation of Financial Controls
- At least 5 to 8 years of working experience with a minimum of 3 years experience in successfully managing teams
- Working knowledge of major accounting software programs and ERP
- 5 to 10 years of working experience
- Audit experience is an added advantage
Technical Skills and Behavioral Attributes
- Strong analytical skills with the ability to deep dive for root causes beyond the symptoms but not get lost in the details.
- Financial background and/or experience in financial analysis and Controls.
- CPA/ACCA Fully completed
- Good systems skills and knowledge of ERP (Dynamics or similar) processing systems
- Business Process Improvement mindset
- Agility and high levels of energy
- Team leader and player with excellent verbal, written, and communication skills (objective listening & appropriate response)
- Ability to self-start
- High level of integrity
- Strong demonstrated use of advanced Excel, PowerPoint, and other MS applications
- Knowledge of financial reporting and data mining tools such as SQL, Access, etc.
What will you gain?
Career Trajectory: This is a role with significant leadership potential, someone who does this job can be promoted to Head of Finance, Head of Audit, and Manage Corporate Finance
Career Development: You will constantly develop skills and further your career while working with Tugende by understanding loan accounting, staying abreast of innovations and financial services to better meet customer needs, participating in monthly financial closures and audits, and learning how to ride a motorcycle!
Hours and compensation: This position is for a full-time employee who can take on additional responsibilities as new tasks and projects come up.
Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the tools to earn a living for themselves and their families. We are changing the face of the boda industry in East Africa, and proving that young men with little education can take on the responsibility of financing a significant asset and earning a livable wage. Help be part of this movement!
Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of hundreds of Employees in Kenya and Uganda. We take our work seriously but love to joke and have fun.
More About Tugende
Tugende means “let’s go” in Luganda and what you see when you get on the back of a motorcycle-taxi and it signifies the company's mission. Tugende has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow, 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow, 2016 GSBI Fellow, and received the MIT Zambezi prize in 2015 as one of the top 3 financial inclusion start-ups in Africa. We have appeared in The Guardian, BBC, Economist and 2021 Inclusive, Fintech50! Award Winner, African Banker 2022 Financial Inclusion Award, the lend a hand blog , and Reuters video. Beyond geographic growth, Tugende's future includes multiple asset finance products and tools to help Tugende reach millions of clients across Africa without losing high-touch personal support.
Application procedure: Interested candidates who meet the above requirements should submit their applications electronically through our online application tracking system by Friday 3rd November 2023.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.