Compensation: Officer Grade
Reports to: School Finance Specialist
Budget Responsibility: School Budgets
PEAS Uganda has grouped its network schools in regional clusters for support and supervision purposes. The RFO, therefore, acts as the cluster financial controller. He/she works closely with PEAS Uganda’s School Finance Specialist and has the responsibility of ensuring sound and effective school finance management to enable each school to achieve AQS targets within the limits set by the Country Office. He/she is responsible for identifying and implementing best practice approaches to school fee collection and spending and then supporting school leaders in the implementation of the same.
KEY PERFORMANCE INDICATORS
- School budgets completed accurately and within prescribed timelines
- % of cluster schools achieving their sustainability targets
- % of cluster schools scoring positive audit rating
- Accurate and timely year-end accounts closure for audit purposes
- School finance policies and procedures are understood by the non-Finance personnel in the school
- Positive school balance sheet positions
- Posting of all the months’ school transactions completed within the first 5 working days of the following month
- 95% of the previous external audit letter management points acted on by the time of the subsequent audit
- Feedback of at least 3.5/5 from school leaders when asked ‘’Finances and cash flow are managed appropriately so that we have the funds as agreed in our budget to run the school effectively’’
RESPONSIBILITIES OF THE ROLE:
Budgeting and Planning
- Actively support the schools in drawing up plans and budgets for each year, consolidating for the cluster and forwarding to Country office for further decisions
Bookkeeping and accounts
- Responsible for effective bookkeeping in all cluster schools
- Produce and submit monthly management accounts to the country office for the cluster, in line with PEAS finance policies and procedures
- Prepare for &support the cluster schools during internal and external audits. Follow up &implement the Audit recommendations as outlined in the management letter
Financial quality assurance and oversight
- Verify payroll within-cluster schools in coordination with the Country office
- Perform regular checks on school data, management, and governance and raise any concern to internal audit and Country office leadership
School procurement oversight
- Maintain a detailed Fixed Asset register for the cluster and monitor the assets to update the status
- Support procurement including monitoring stock management to ensure timely replenishment
- Treasury function, monitor the cash holdings in the school’s bank accounts to ensure sufficient levels of cash are available
School relationship management
- Maintain in-depth relations with all members of the management team through demonstrated business judgment combined with an ability to effectively influence others
- Work closely with the Schools’ support specialist/officer to enforce good school governance
Experience & Qualifications
- Undergraduate Degree preferably B.com (Accounting/Finance), BBA(Accounting/Finance)
- At least two years experience in accounting, finance, or auditing supervisory or middle management role
- At least 2 Years’ experience using computerized accounting packages
- Part professional finance qualification (e.g., ACCA, CPA)
- Knowledge of and experience using school accounting systems
- Strong computer skills, especially Microsoft excel
- Knowledge of procurement practices
- Ability to coordinate and multitask
- Knowledge and experience using QuickBooks
Skills & Personal attributes:
- Strong analytical skills, able to quickly draw insights from the financial data to help schools improve their financial management
- Excellent attention to detail, with good practice of quality assuring own work to deliver accurate accounts
- A natural influencer, able to communicate persuasively in a way that delivers compliance without burning bridges
- High level of integrity and strength of character, prepared to be disliked if that is what is needed to do the right thing
- Willing to travel and work in hard-to-reach areas, occasionally under strenuous conditions
- A resourceful outlook prepared to fight for value for money and suggest creative approaches to achieving school sustainability
Values and approach
Anyone we hire will be able to demonstrate their alignment with PEAS’ values, which are:
- Focus on Lasting Change: Our work should benefit students and communities now and for generations to come and so sustainability is core to everything we do. We take into account the wider consequences of what we do because what matters is a maximum long-term impact across society.
- Be Collaborative, not Competitive: We put true impact before personal or organizational glory. We collaborate within and beyond the organization to maximize collective impact
- Be Honest: Trust and integrity are everything. We are transparent about our impact and programs. We don’t support corruption. We don’t pay bribes. We don’t receive bribes.
- Champion Empowerment: We hold each other to account. We maximize autonomy by providing high-quality support to decision-makers throughout the organization.
- Be Entrepreneurial: PEAS was founded with an entrepreneurial spirit, and it is embedded in who we are. We are nimble, ready to respond to new opportunities and challenges. We are not afraid of taking risks and leading the way.
- Adopt a Growth Mindset: We continually push ourselves to improve. We appreciate and learn from mistakes which we see as a necessary side effect of striving for an ever-growing impact.
- Look at the Evidence: Evidence can be scarce in our sector. We strive to make use of the available evidence while also contributing our own. Our decisions are based on research and data combined with our practical experience.
PEAS is highly committed to keeping children safe from harm and preventing corruption. We, therefore, take our responsibility to promote safe recruitment practices very seriously, including conducting appropriate reference and background checks. We also operate a zero-tolerance approach to any PEAS employees who breach our Safeguarding and Anti-Corruption Policies, which all employees are required to sign upon induction.
All applications will be received and Reviewed through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section