Education & Work Experience: Master's Level Degree - 7 years experience
Contract Duration: 12 months with the possibility for extension
Application deadline: 20th September 2021 (midnight)
The Netherlands Institute for Multiparty Democracy (NIMD) works to promote peaceful, just and inclusive democracy worldwide. To that end, and together with our global network, we work with the entire political sector in a country, from aspiring politicians to political leaders, and from national to the local level. Currently, we run programmes in some twenty countries in Africa, Latin America, Southeast Asia, and the MENA region.
NIMD’s Global Office is located in the political heart of the Netherlands in The Hague. Here an experienced and committed international staff of around 30 colleagues provides support to our global programming. Our working culture is informal and open and encourages initiative, professionalism and interaction. We strive to be the leading democratic network of political practitioners for inclusive and accountable politics.
In Uganda, NIMD’s approach is characterized by dialogue: we facilitate the dialogue between the political parties through the Inter-party Organization for Dialogue (IPOD) platform at the national level. In addition to dialogue facilitation, we provide capacity-building support to political parties specifically targeting women and youth.
Under the 2021-2025 Power of Dialogue (POD) Programme, NIMD is broadening its programming to include civic engagement between political and civil society actors. The aim is to strengthen democratic space in Uganda and support aspiring young (men and women) and women political and civic leaders to become influential actors of change. With the inception phase drawing to a close, the new programme is ready to be kicked off. It is at this exciting juncture that we are looking for a new Programme Manager to join the team.
We offer an exciting position in our small team with space and support for personal growth and learning. The salary offered is in line with comparable roles in NGOs in Uganda and comes with competitive employee benefits.
NIMD is an Equal Opportunity Employer. We consider all applicants based on merit without regard to race, gender, sex, colour, national origin, religion, sexual orientation, age, marital status, veteran status, disability or any other characteristic protected by applicable law.
Your privacy is important to us, and we are committed to collecting, processing, storing and destroying all information in accordance with applicable data protection laws.
Please note that only successful candidates will be contacted.
The successful implementation of NIMD projects in Uganda with a focus on youth, women and civil society. This includes supporting policy dialogues on various topics and capacity-strengthening activities targeting a range of political and civic actors.
Duties and Responsibilities
• Lead the project team including staff and consultants in both substantive and operational issues ensuring optimization of human and financial resources.
• Undertake day-to-today management of the programme, including programme implementation and document progress towards achievement of results.
• Provide strategic advice, direction and direct technical input on……
• Manage the programme budget and facilitate budget approvals and revision processes as per NIMD policies and procedures.
• Prepare work plans and produce timely reports, both financial and progress reports, as per the NIMD reporting systems.
• Ensure timeliness and quality of outputs as well timely preparation of reports on achievements and challenges faced.
• Oversee the establishment and implementation of the monitoring and evaluation plan for the programme.
• Guide the development of the programme’s communication strategy in close collaboration with relevant partners and stakeholders.
• Extract lessons learned to support programme improvement, knowledge building and knowledge sharing.
• Develop Terms of Reference for programme consultants/experts hired on short-term basis and ensure proper delivery of technical services and submission of reports.
• Establish and support an environment of learning for programme staff.
Stakeholder and Partner Engagement
• Initiate, establish and maintain effective working relationships with stakeholders (Govt, Youth, Civil Society).
• Ensure compliance with donor and stakeholder agreements.
• Ensure the participation and involvement of relevant stakeholders in programme implementation to ensure an inclusive, participatory and transparent process.
Office Management (Fundraising, Communication, Coordination)
• Develop the necessary strategic documents concerning programme planning and implementation such as concept notes etc.
• Support the Uganda office in mobilizing of resources from different partners, including preparation of strategies, programme briefs and project documents.
• Approve expenditures and related cost allocations, on the basis of approved budgets.
• A Master’s Degree in a relevant discipline e.g., Political Science, Sociology, Law, Public Administration or International Development.
• At least 7 (seven) years’ experiences working with international development programme is the area of democratic governance and/or human rights.
• Good working knowledge of opportunities and challenges for women and youth in politics in Uganda. Experience of working with these stakeholder groups (preferably) in governance projects is an added advantage.
• Good understanding of Uganda’s political environment and system including the mandate and functioning of political parties and parliament.
• Experience both theoretically and practice, in project cycle management, monitoring, evaluation and reporting, as well as financial accountability and reporting.
• Experience with line management and team coordination is an added advantage.
• Fluent in English with excellent report writing and oral communication skills.
• An accessible personality with a proactive attitude.
• Strong inter-personal and diplomatic skills with an ability to build trust.
• Flexible and adaptive with a willingness to think outside the box.
• Ability to be discreet and maintain confidentiality.
• Ability to uphold political neutrality and with strong integrity.
• Ability to handle stressful situations with strong problem-solving skills.
• Team player with leadership skills.
• Ability to Decide and Initiate Action
• Ability to Lead and Supervise
• Ability to Present and Communicate Information
• Ability to Relate and Network
All applications will be received and Reviewed through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section