Present in Uganda since 2006, Mercy Corps Uganda’s aim is to catalyze change through the Ugandan private sector, civil society, and government to create resilient, economically inclusive, healthy, and secure communities by 1) strengthening market systems that enable inclusive growth and resilience; 2) strengthening governance; 3) promoting health and nutrition outcomes; and 4) meeting the immediate needs of refugees and host communities while strengthening market systems and resilience capacities. The USAID-funded Securing Peace and Promoting Prosperity in Karamoja (EKISIL) is implemented by Mercy Corps and partners in the following four districts of Karamoja: Abim, Kaabong, Kotido and Moroto. EKISIL is a conflict mitigation and management project that uses a people-to-people approach (P2P) that brings groups together across divisions to address underlying social, economic, ecological, and governance issues at risk of fueling conflict in the Karamoja region. This is achieved through three interlinked objectives that address root causes of inter-ethnic conflict and promote reconciliation, empower local capacities to prevent and manage conflicts, and address emerging conflicts related to land.
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Entry level
- Experience Length:2 years
The Program Officer will be responsible for supporting the implementation of EKISIL Activity at the community level. S/he will be in constant contact with stakeholders and targeted communities to ensure full participation and implementation. In coordination with the Senior Program Officer and Program Manager conduct regular field visits to ensure that all stakeholders fully understand and utilize EKISIL approaches and methodologies. Working and building the capacity of the partners, supporting in developing institutional development plans for the local partners. Participate in the peace actors’ coordination meetings, and prepare activity workplans and budgets for approval.
• Work with the community structures to plan and implement effectively the deliverables of the program in line with the targets.
• Work with community members, sub-county to district level authorities, and other stakeholders, presenting information at meetings when required.
• Conduct regular field visits to ensure that all stakeholders fully understand and utilize EKISIL approaches and methodologies.
• Prepare activity plans and seek required approvals.
• Support, participate in and monitor activities and meetings of community structures.
• Support in the collection of program data.
• Develop field activity reports and contribute to periodic donor reporting.
• Contribute to the identification of lessons learnt and propose recommendation for programmatic adaptations.
• Contribute to research activities on specific subjects, as needed.
• Work with and support the capacity building of partners.
• Reports Directly To: Senior Program Officer (Kaabong)
Works Directly With: EKISIL Program Team, CARM Assistant, Subawards, Finance, HR & Operations Teams, partner staff
Accountability to Participants and Stakeholders
Mercy Corps team members are expected to support all efforts toward accountability, specifically to our program participants, community partners, other stakeholders, and to international standards guiding international relief and development work. We are committed to actively engaging communities as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of our field projects.
Minimum Qualification & Transferable Skills
• Bachelor’s degree in the social sciences, rural development, or related field.
• Minimum of two years’ professional experience in implementing peace and conflict related projects.
• Ability and commitment to teamwork.
• Ability to interact effectively with the diverse project stakeholders.
• Knowledge of local languages is an added advantage.
• Possession of a valid motorcycle license preferred.
How to apply
Click on the 'Apply Here' section to be redirected to the application portal.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.