Numida is looking for a highly motivated young graduate with junior experience in customer care, call centers, and/or financial institutions. Pre-Screening Officers (PSOs) are deeply knowledgeable about Numida’s lending policies, and can confidently sort loan applications while providing clear feedback and exceptional support to applicants. PSOs are the first Numida staff to get in touch with loan applicants over the phone after they submit their application via our mobile app. As such, they are responsible for Numida’s first impression with loan applicants, which is in and of itself a major responsibility. PSOs report to the Credit Operations Manager, and their performance is evaluated based on the volume of applicants that they process, in conjunction with the quality of the sorting as well as their ability to provide the great customer support that is expected of all client-facing staff at Numida.
- Reviewing incoming loan applications to verify their completeness and basic eligibility
- Sorting and categorizing loan applications: returning the application to the applicant with specific feedback on improvements required, assigning the application to a Credit Relationship Officer for further review, declining the loan application with clear feedback to the applicant
- Communicating to clients any corrections to their loan application that are required (in-app, via phone, and WhatsApp), and assisting clients over the phone or WhatsApp as required
- Reminding applicants that are expected to re-submit their application with corrections based on assigned call prioritization rules
- Providing exceptional customer service
- Keeping abreast of all lending policies applying to first-time borrowers
- Collaborating with the Product team and participating in various experiments that aim to improve the quality and efficiency of the Pre-Screening process
- Communicating feedback to management about any issues that arise and any potential opportunities for improving the Pre-screening process
- Assisting with other tasks as required by management
WHO YOU ARE
- A believer that small business growth in sub-Saharan Africa will drive community development and wide-scale poverty reduction
- An organized and detail-oriented doer, who enjoys working through checklists and conducting evaluations (as long as you have a clear correction key)
- A self-driven, results-oriented high achiever ready to work hard and smart to meet and exceed targets
- A team player with the humility to ask for help when needed and relies on feedback to rapidly iterate on your work
- Our team is currently 38% women, and we are committed to achieving gender parity, so applications from women are strongly encouraged
YOUR SKILLS AND QUALIFICATIONS
- A University Degree in any field
- 1+ year of work experience in either a Customer Care function or in a Credit Institution. Experience working in a Call Centre is a strong asset.
- Verbal and written fluency in both English and Luganda. Fluency in multiple Ugandan languages is an asset.
- Ability to provide customer care via chat using professional, concise, and slang-free English.
- Knowledge about and practical experience with the principles of great customer care, and superb phone etiquette
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Experience working with computers. Relatively high typing speeds are an asset.
- Good critical-thinking and problem solving skills
We're looking for a goal-oriented and mission-aligned junior professional with a natural talent for delivering excellent customer support. You will be in continuous touch over the phone with applicants seeking to become Numida clients, and the role will eventually become repetitive, but you will need to find joy and motivation in providing great customer service and in knowing that your interactions with clients at this step in their Numida journey is critical to Numida’s success and equally significant for the small business applying for credit.
YOUR COMPENSATION AND REWARD
This is a full-time, high-growth role in an early stage East African technology start-up. We are an unconventional business, and our workplace is inspiring with a lot of opportunity for personal growth and fun. You will receive a competitive salary and have the opportunity to work with a dynamic and diverse team based in Kampala, San Francisco, Toronto, and Vancouver.
Please apply directly using the BrighterMonday platform, and make sure to include a Cover Letter that answers the questions "Why are you a good fit for this role and why you are inspired to work with Numida?".