Job Position:Oracle Database & Microsoft SQL Database Administrator Engineer
Reports to: Back Office Manager
• The Oracle Database & MS-SQL Database administrator will work on the design, planning, implementation, and optimization of enterprise MS-SQL databases across the organization.
ROLES AND RESPONSIBILITIES
• Assist in the definition of database architecture and design specifications.
• Work with IT vendors to install, configure, maintain, and upgrade enterprise database systems and related applications.
• Provide support in functionality and acceptance testing during the implementation of enterprise database systems.
• Ensure optimal performance of the organization’s databases;
Regularly monitor and reconcile the performance of the databases to pre- defined performance thresholds and take appropriate actions where required
Implement established policies and procedures on database management
• Maintain database security and data integrity through the use of access codes and efficient password system.
• Storage and capacity planning by monitoring the growth trends and predictions about the future.
• Troubleshooting when things do go wrong with the database server.
• Perform regular data backup, and validate integrity of data backup.
• Perform database automation and script writing.
• Investigate and resolve incidents/ requests relating to enterprise databases, and escalate irresolvable faults/ issues to relevant vendors/ suppliers where appropriate.
• Provide support in operating systems trouble shooting.
• Ensure availability of accurate documentation of standards, guidelines and procedures for effectively managing and maintaining the databases.
• Liaise with relevant unit/ team/function in carrying out all relevant activities.
• Attend team/divisional/departmental meetings as required.
• Prepare/compile agreed periodic activity and performance reports for the attention of the Manager, IT Operations Support.
• Engage in knowledge development and identification of improved and efficient methods running some database tasks.
• Perform any other duties as assigned by the Manager, IT Operations Support.
EDUCATION AND EXPERIENCE
• At least a degree in Information Technology, Computer Science, or any other related discipline.
• Microsoft SQL Server database certification
• At least 3 - 7 years’ experience in database administration
• High degree of confidentiality and ability to handle sensitive information
• First degree or equivalent in a relevant discipline.
• Excellent Knowledge and hands on experience with Oracle, MS-SQL platforms.
• Relevant Professional Qualifications and Certifications will be added advantage.
• Experience and knowledge in telecom industry would be of an advantage.
• Excellent communication skills
• Excellent multi-tasking skills with ability to learn quickly.
• Ugandan Citizens are encouraged to apply