The Operations Director will work under the direction and guidance of the Deputy Chief of Party Finance and Operations and with technical team leads to provide the full range of administrative and operations functions in compliance with EDC and donor rules regulations.
- Minimum Qualification:Masters
- Experience Level:Management level
- Experience Length:10 years
EDUCATION DEVELOPMENT CENTER (EDC)
Education Development Center (EDC) is a global nonprofit that advances lasting solutions to improve education, promote health, and expand economic opportunity, with a focus on vulnerable and under-served populations. Since 1958, we have been a leader in designing, implementing, and evaluating powerful and innovative programs in more than 80 countries around the world.
EDC promotes equity and access to high quality education and health services and products that contribute to thriving communities where people from diverse backgrounds learn, live, and work together. We support an inclusive workplace culture that embraces many perspectives and broadens our understanding of the communities we serve, enhancing and enriching our work.
EDC is committed to equity, diversity and inclusion in the workplace.
The goal of the five-year, USAID-funded Integrated Child and Youth Development (ICYD) Activity is for Ugandan children and youth, especially the most vulnerable, to receive the support and services necessary to lead resilient, healthy, and productive lives. The ICYD Activity is expected to achieve the following:
- Children and youth have improved learning outcomes;
- Children and youth are safe and healthy in their community and learning environments; and
- Youth practice positive behaviors and are able to make informed decisions about their lives and relationships.
This Activity will address the mutually reinforcing relationship between improving learning outcomes and improving wellbeing and employ a comprehensive approach that merges PEPFAR/OVC’s strengths in acute vulnerability stabilization with education’s broad protective effects.
The Operations Director will work under the direction and guidance of the Deputy Chief of Party Finance and Operations and with technical team leads to provide the full range of administrative and operations functions in compliance with EDC and donor rules regulations. These functions will support the ICYD project headquarters in Kampala and 5 zonal offices in Gulu, Hoima, Jinja, Mbarara and Wakiso. S/he will supervise the Senior Procurement Manager, Logistics Manager, IT Manager; and will help coordinate, integrate and advise subcontractor operations to ensure that departments meet their obligations. S/he will ensure that contract management, security and safety are carried out effectively and efficiently in full compliance with project, EDC, and USAID policies. The Operations Director will report to the Deputy Chief of Party Finance and Operations. This is a full-time position based in Kampala, Uganda.
The Operations Director will undertake, but not be limited to, the following essential functions:
- Participate in regular planning activities with the technical leads and subcontractors for seamless administrative and logistical support;
- Establish and enforce operational procedures that comply with EDC policies and USAID regulations rooted in effective management practice under the guidance of the DCOP and EDC Home Office support staff;
- Provide clear guidance to all staff members on all operations policies and procedures;
- Conduct reviews and assessments of field office procedures and procurement documentation as directed;
- Monitor, identify and address areas of risk and operational inefficiencies across the project and develop operations performance improvement plans as needed;
- Demonstrate a high level of professionalism when dealing with sensitive and confidential documents and issues, and with co-workers and EDC partners;
- Actively participate in Collaborative, Learning and Adapting (CLA) processes in place within the project;
- Provide support to other special initiatives and needs as they arise.
Procurement and Contracts
Supervise the Senior Procurement Manager and her team to
- Facilitate procurement planning both at Kampala and zonal offices to ensure coordinated support for program and office operations activities;
- Ensure that all procurements are carried out in coordination with the relevant program or operations technical leads;
- Ensure that all procurements are cost effective and compliant with EDC and USAID rules, regulations, policies and procedures;
- Oversee status of vendor contracts, ensuring timely payment and follow up on contracted tasks.
Supervise the Logistics Manager and her team to
- Ensure all assets are properly inventoried and that inventory records are always up to date and in compliance with EDC internal regulations and USAID requirements;
- Ensure efficient fleet management and maintenance;
- Ensure the clearance of equipment from customs, including but not limited to IT equipment, vehicles, and Teaching and Learning Materials (TLMs);
- Coordinate planning efforts for Teaching and Learning Materials (TLMs) and IT equipment distribution with support from zonal teams;
- Ensure proper and efficient coordination and management of logistics for project trainings and workshops.
Work in partnership with EDC ICYD partners, in particular with WEI/Bantwana to
- Establish effective and efficient integrated operations management systems to the extent practical and possible;
- Provide subcontract and procurement support for WEI/Bantwana OVC program, ensuring the highest degree of integrity across the ICDY Activity programs and with Primary Local Partners (PLP).
Supervise the IT Manager to
- Ensure smooth and efficient IT systems and services for all staff.
Safety and Security Management
- As the security focal person, coordinate with EDC Home Office, all project zonal offices, other USAID-supported projects, relevant non-government organizations, and/or law-enforcement agencies to gather information and updates on current security situation in project sites, as appropriate;
- In coordination with the DCOP Finance and Operations and EDC Home Office, ensure appropriate safety and security measures are in place at all times and provide guidance to all staff and disseminate advisories on routine safety and security precautions.
Master’s degree in a field relevant to Business Administration, Accounting, Social Sciences, or another related field.
Skills And Experience
- A minimum of 10 years of Operations experience in a managerial capacity preferably with an international USAID funded project;
- Familiarity with USAID regulations;
- Participation in regular planning activities with technical team for seamless administrative and logistical support;
- Proven ability to Identify and address areas of risk and operational inefficiencies through the development of performance improvement plans for office operational procedures;
- Knowledge in preparing effective presentations and reports;
- Proven ability to work collaboratively with a diverse team of professionals;
- Ability to manage multiple, time-sensitive tasks professionally and with high quality;
- Excellent written and oral communication skills;
- Proficiency in MS Office Suite applications;
- Must be able to work within a cross cultural setting, negotiate diplomatically, and function well under pressure;
- Ability to work hands-on, independently, and within team in difficult work environment; and
- Willingness to travel to provinces covered by the project.
Fluency in English is required
Job closing date: September 15, 2022
EDC is committed to enhancing the diversity of its workforce and ensuring an equitable and highly inclusive work environment. EDC is a smoke-free workplace, and offers a supportive work environment, competitive salary, and excellent benefits. Women, minorities, and individuals with disabilities are encouraged to apply
How to apply.
Click on the 'Apply Here' section to be redirected to the application portal.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.