To be accountable for all nursing activities operational and practice for the ICU, ensure that each patient receives quality care, through implementation of all applicable CURE policies and procedures, and adherence to set quality improvement and patient safety standards in collaboration with other multi-disciplinary teams.
- Minimum Qualification: Bachelor
- Experience Level: Senior level
- Experience Length: 5 years
CURE Children's Hospital of Uganda, a Private-Not-For-Profit (PNFP) Christian hospital specialized in Pediatric Neurosurgery and Integrated Spiritual Ministry, is seeking an experienced Individual for the Full-time position of Nurse In - Charge Intensive Care Unit (ICU)
Position Title : Nurse In-Charge (ICU)
Reports to : Nurse Manager and strongly collaborates with the ICU supervisor.
Supervises : All Nursing staff in the ICU
Duty Station : CURE Children’s Hospital of Uganda
Department : Medical – Nursing
Location : Mbale, Uganda
Duration : Fixed Term
- To be accountable for all nursing activities operational and practice for the ICU, ensure that each patient receives quality care, through implementation of all applicable CURE policies and procedures, and adherence to set quality improvement and patient safety standards in collaboration with other multi-disciplinary teams.
- The Nurse in Charge of the ICU is responsible for coordinating and managing the delivery of high-acuity patient care within the Intensive Care Unit. This role involves leadership, clinical expertise, and collaboration with a multidisciplinary healthcare team to ensure the provision of optimal care for critically ill patients.
- To plan for resources and activities to ensure the effectiveness and efficiency of the in-patient ward functions.
Responsibilities And Duties
Nursing Services Management
- Fosters strong collaboration and teamwork among all healthcare providers and in the ICU.
- Coordinates patients’ care to ensure that all patients receive the appropriate health services.
- Coordinates the daily ward rounds and ensures adequate documentation.
- Build a strong nursing team and foster effective communication through regular ward meetings and feedback forums.
- Plans for adequate nursing staffing and ensure that the nurse-patient ratio meets the patient's care requirements.
- Formulates nurse staffing rotas on time as per stipulated time.
- Ensures other tasks allocation for smooth running of the ward activities.
- Identify and plan for all routine daily activities for the ward.
- Participates in the formulation of policies & procedures for the nursing department.
- Ensure that all nursing staff are trained and can access all relevant CURE policies /procedures/guidelines.
- Avail all CURE relevant policies and procedures to nursing staff and ensure that they all are familiar.
- In collaboration with the biomedical team, ensure that all patient care equipment is well-serviced and calibrated on time.
- Ensure that each patient gives feedback on services received.
- Participate in performance evaluation processes as per CURE policy.
- Generate regular reports and data as guided by the requirements and hospital policies.
- Ensure that patients’ nursing care needs are identified and met using the nursing process.
- Ensure the full implementation of various care bundles for all patients to include monitoring of effectiveness and documentation.
- Ensure that patient care handover from one shift to the other is done as per the guidelines and procedures governing Inpatient services to ensure quality and patient safety.
- Ensures adequacy in patient care allocation to meet the patient care needs, bearing in mind the patient awareness and nurse skills levels.
- Carry out patient rounding daily to ensure that each patient’s healthcare needs are met.
- Ensure complete documentation on patients’ health records as per policy, through daily checks and open chart audits.
- Ensure that each patient and their families receive the relevant education about their care and documentation.
- Supportively supervises all nursing staff and identifies learning needs for each nurse through nurse rounding.
- Plan and take the lead for all in-house continued learning and skills competency checks for
- nursing staff.
- Ensure that competency-based orientation is done for the new nurses and avail the support needed.
- Collaborates with other in-charge nurses and participates in the nursing team forums.
Quality & Patient Safety
- Report and investigate all patient sentinel events and near misses.
- Participate in root cause analysis of all morbidities and mortalities and use the recommendations for improvement.
- Implement patient safety measures including correct patient identification, fall prevention, prevention of nosocomial infections, etc.
- Ensure safe medication administration practices are in place and monitoring processes.
- Carry out closed and open chart audits for nursing documentation and patients’ health records.
- Ensure implementation of Safe Care standards requirements (especially the Clinical and nursing related).
- Support and participate in various QPS committees, and internal audits.
Infection Prevention and Control
- Ensure that all staff implement all the relevant Infection Prevention & Control Program, policies and procedures.
- Ensure that all patient care areas in the ICU are clean and conducive to the prevention and control of infections.
- Ensure that all staff are trained in all relevant IPC matters.
- Participate in monitoring and prevention of Hospital-acquired infections.
- Implement the waste management program, policies, and procedures ICU.
- Ensure that patients and their families are educated on standard precautions while admitted to ICU.
Occupational Health & Safety
- All staff are expected to work in such a way that does not cause injury to themselves, other staff members, or customers.
- Following & complying with H&S policies, and processes & applying them to their own work activities, including using/wearing Personal Protective Equipment as required.
- Participating in activities directed at preventing harm & promoting well-being in the workplace Identifying, reporting & self-managing hazards where appropriate.
- Early and accurate reporting of incidents at work and raising issues of concern when identified
Education and Professional Development
- Ensures own professional development to enhance own competencies through self-assessment and/or formal performance appraisal regularly according to the hospital (and own) professional development plan;
- Maintains professional records that provide evidence of competency and lifelong learning.
- Identifies personal development and training needs and works with the supervisor to, help facilitate education and professional development where possible.
- Maintains a good quality learning environment that supports continuing professional development, creativity, and being proactive.
- Participates in the hospital’s Spiritual Ministry programs.
- Attend chapel and departmental bible studies with staff (depending on weekly schedule)
Key Performance Indicators
- Adherence to nurse-patient ratios and nursing staffing FTE requirements.
- 100% implementation of and compliance with Critical Care Bundles.
- 0% Incidence of In-patient Ward Hospital Acquired Infections
- Learning needs assessment for nursing staff & training
- >80% In-Patient Safe Care standards score
Any Other Official Duties
- This position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may change at any time with or without notice. Co-worker must perform other tasks, duties, and projects as assigned, as a member of the Human Resources team.
EDUCATION AND PROFESSIONAL DEVELOPMENT
- Diploma in Nursing from a Recognized institution.
- Bachelor’s degree in Critical Care Nursing from a Recognized institution is an added advantage
- Registration/Licensure by the in-country nursing regulation body.
- At least 5 years of post-education experience in critical nursing with at least 2 years in a supervisory/leadership role.
- Experience in quality management certification or accreditation (Safe Care or JCIA).
- Training in BLS/ACLS/PALS/ETAT
KNOWLEDGE, SKILLS COMPETENCIES & ABILITIES:
- An in-depth knowledge of the role of Infection Prevention and control
- The requisite clinical knowledge and high level of competence to lead on infection prevention and control within clinical practice and service quality
- A high standard of professionalism, initiative, and innovation in the delivery of service
- Resilience, composure, and openness to change
- Integrity and ethical stance. The ability to relate nursing research to nursing practice
- Knowledge of quality assurance practices and their application to nursing procedures.
- An understanding of the principles of clinical governance and risk management as they apply directly to the Infection Prevention and control role and the wider health service
- A working knowledge of audit and research processes
- An awareness of the Infection Prevention role of the Health Information and Quality Authority’s Social Services Inspectorate.
- Willingness and ability to adopt new knowledge and research procedures
- Flexible attitude to duties and hours of work with the ability to remain calm under pressure
- Highly organized and meticulous
- Excellent analytical & writing skills.
- Excellent interpersonal, verbal, and written communication skills.
- Proficient in computer skills (MS Word, Excel, PowerPoint).
- Numerate and proficient report writing skills
- Social Skills- Must be able to relate well with both internal and external clients.
- Integrity - Ability to be tactful, maintain confidence, and foster an ethical work environment; prevent inappropriate behavior by coworkers; give proper credit to others; handle all situations honestly.
- High Achiever- Able and willing to set goals relevant to his Job description, achieve them, and help the team achieve common departmental goals
- Strong leadership and project management abilities, as well as high attention to detail
- Able to work well under pressure.
- Administrative skills
The receipt of applications is Open until the position is filled.
This position is full-time fixed-term renewable and based in Mbale.
- CURE Children’s Hospital of Uganda does not charge a fee at any stage of the recruitment process (application, shortlisting, interviews, reference verification, appointment, training or any other fees).
- CURE Children’s Hospital of Uganda will not be responsible for such fraudulent correspondences or any loss of money or theft which may result from anyone engaging in any fraudulent recruitment activity.
- All forms of lobbying will lead to automatic disqualification.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.