The European Union (EU) and the German Ministry for Economic Cooperation and Development (BMZ) have commissioned the Gesellschaft fϋr Internationale Zusammenarbeit (GIZ) with the programme „Response to Increased Demand on Government Service and Creation of Economic Opportunities in Uganda (RISE)”. The main objective of the program is the improvement of the inclusive socio-economic development of refugees and the host population within six districts of Northern Uganda, namely Arua, Madi Okollo, Obongi, Terego, Adjumani and Moyo.
The programme combines the support to the district local government structures, efforts to create income and employment and the support for agricultural activities. The main partners are the Ministry of Local Government and the District Local Governments. The technical cooperation measure takes a multi-level and multi-actor approach.
Knowledge, Skills & Competences
• Detailed knowledge of log-frame-based project design, monitoring and evaluation including quantitative and qualitative methods
• Excellent computer skills: Microsoft Outlook, Word, Excel, etc.
• Knowledge of databases and computer-based management information system
• Self-motivated, with good judgment and initiative, and the ability to work with others
• Excellent communication and strong interpersonal skills with ability to motivate colleagues to meet deadlines
• Able to prioritize and achieve results through collaboration
• Understanding of humanitarian principles, as well as gender, protection, social or human vulnerability issues
• Culturally sensitive and curious about other perspectives
• Strong capacity to handle complex tasks independently
• Ability to work in a collaborative manner with multiple stakeholders at various levels from international to national to sub-national and community levels
• Excellent English language skills, Madi and/or Lugbara language skills are an asset
The Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor is responsible for
• Development, planning and coordinating of the M&E system of the programme according to EU and BMZ requirements
• Regular reporting according to the M&E system and advising the steering decisions of program management based on M&E knowledge
• Managing a rigorous impact evaluation (RIE) on the effect of vocational skills training and financial literacy, entrepreneurship, and soft skills
• Capacity building for implementing partners in the field of monitoring
• Review and quality assurance of monitoring data of local implementing partners
• Preparation and implementation of internal project learning events as well as meetings with a focus on monitoring and evaluation
• The Monitoring and Evaluation Advisor will perform the following tasks
• Develops and organises quality assurance measures and suggests necessary changes, improvements, and initiatives
• Initiates the development of a system with standards and procedures to ensure credible, reliable, timely, and cost-effective monitoring data to strategic planning, uphold accountability and contribute to inform critical management decisions.
• Prepares and trains staff and implementation partners, on project and program design, monitoring and evaluation concepts, skills, and tools.
• Strengthens the evaluations, ensures that they are enshrined in the project life cycle routines, and that they are timely, useful, and ethical, upholding the criteria and standards.
• Oversees the development and assuring the quality of specific planning, assessment, M&E, and reporting tools for consistent and quality data collection
• Provides technical guidance to programme staff in incorporating appropriate M&E systems into projects based on needs, donor requirements, resources, and capacities.
• Liaises with external organizations and M&E experts to identify and disseminates good M&E practices and contributes to knowledge sharing.
Performs assigned tasks by the commissioning parties related to M&E
• Ensures that programme monitoring is based on conflict sensitivity and the Do-No-Harm-Principle
• prepares appropriate input for various project/programme reports including annual reports, and contributes to the other reports required by the programme manager and GIZ head office
• Assists with research activities and studies on political issues which benefit joint programmes
Other duties/additional task
• Will perform other duties at the request of management.
• Minimum of a master’s degree in Social Sciences, Management, Economics, or related field.
Details of experience
• Minimum of 3 years in designing and implementing integrated results-based M&E systems and processes, preferably in West Nile region.
• Experience as evaluator
• Sound background of social research methodologies, including a highly developed analytical and communication skills and ability to assimilate and process information for wide-ranging audiences
• Familiarity with EU/GIZ operating environment is an asset
How to apply
All interested and qualified persons are strongly encouraged to apply by submitting their application and CV along with the contacts of three professional referees to The Director, Future Options Consulting Ltd, by email:
firstname.lastname@example.org quoting the position you are applying for and the reference No. as the subject. Applications should be received by 5.00 pm on the 15th August 2021. Please note: This is a national position. Application and CV should be in one document and a maximum of 6 pages only.
No other attachments are required at this stage. Only the shortlisted candidates will be contacted