Duty Stations: Uganda
Reporting: Head of Risk
Available Vacancies: 1
Application opening: 15th December 2021
Tugende uses asset finance, technology, and a customer-centric model to help informal sector entrepreneurs dramatically increase their economic trajectory. Tugende’s core asset finance packages include medical and life insurance, training, safety equipment and digital credit profiles in addition to affordable asset financing for SMEs. By helping clients grow economically and build digital track records of responsibility, we are creating a long-term ecosystem for MSMEs to grow and thrive. Tugende has financed 52,000+ productive asset leases valued at over USD 35 million. The company has 750+ employees serving clients across 23 branches in Uganda and 5 in Kenya.
About this job
The Head of Internal Audit has overall responsibility for the Internal Audit function at Tugende. The position is responsible for ensuring Internal Audit is closely aligned with industry best practices in executing the duties across Tugende’s operations. The Head of Internal Audit ensures all roles, responsibilities, and results are efficiently coordinated and collectively optimizes the effectiveness of risk management, control and governance of the company.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Perform and control the full audit cycle including risk assessment and management, control management over operations’ effectiveness, financial reliability and compliance with all applicable laws and regulations.
- Determine internal audit scope and develop annual plans that are responsive to and aligned with the risk profile of Tugende as an organization.
- Prepare and present reports to either senior management or the Board Audit committee that reflect concise audit’s results with process documentation and practical solutions.
- Oversee the execution of departmental or functional audits defined in the audit plan and ensure the highest level of service quality and client satisfaction.
- Meet regularly with the Audit Committee to report the status of Internal Audit’s ongoing monitoring activities, educate/inform the committee of emerging risks and/or exposures (whether internal or external to the company) that should be considered, and serve as a “thought leader” with respect to risk management and internal control best practices.
- Proactively inform senior management of significant risks or exposures related to internal controls, compliance, and/or governance requiring prompt attention.
- Update/develop process documentation to support management’s SOX assessment and Model Audit Rule compliance;
- Manage the process to track, follow-up, and ultimately close all open audit issues.
- Actively participate in senior management meetings and/or committees to ensure that Internal Audit is well-informed of key business developments that could have an impact on audit priorities and/or plans.
- Attract, hire, and retain a team of high-performing audit professionals who possess outstanding knowledge, experience, ethics, and integrity.
- Ensure that Internal Audit is performing its work in accordance with established professional standards and remain abreast of emerging trends and best practices that can be incorporated into the function.
- Oversee Internal Audit’s participation in critical business and technology initiatives and projects ensuring that audit’s perspective is effectively voiced and appropriate controls are designed and implemented on a proactive basis.
- Maintain audit technology / reporting platform leveraging support from the information systems group as needed.
- Coordinate the activities of external auditors including how best to leverage the work performed and results produced from Internal Audit’s work.
- Serve as the key point person on all third-party audits. Preferred skills, knowledge & abilities
Preferred Skills, knowledge & abilities
- Knowledge of Generally Accepted Auditing Standards
- Knowledge of Accounting and Finance Principles and Practices
- Knowledge of a variety of reporting procedures, regulations and laws
- Planning and time management
- Effective communication, documentation and Interpersonal skills
- Analytical thinker with strong conceptual and problem solving skills
- Meticulous attention to detail with ability to work under pressure, multi-task and meet deadlines
- Technology proficient
Qualification and Experience:
- Degree in Accounting, Finance, Financial Management, Internal Auditing or another closely related field (essential).
- Certified Internal Audit (CIA) or Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or ACCA required.
- 8 or more years experience in auditing or accounting; 3 years in a Management role.
- Hold values similar to our own: Adopt and champion the values that Tugende stands for: Integrity, Empathy, Teamwork, Solutions-Oriented and Always growing.
- Confidentiality: Able to handle sensitive information professionally and confidentially.
- Positive Attitude: The main mindset of “getting things done” and finding satisfaction in developing sustainable long-term solutions at all times.
- Flexible and resilient: Willingness to travel, flexible in schedule and work hours, seek direct feedback and see every challenge as an opportunity to grow.
What will you gain?
Career Trajectory: This is a role that gives you the opportunity to work with different professionals across the company’s different departments and countries of operation. This role provides you on-going learning in a fast-paced business environment and technology to ensure all business risks are kept under check. Apart from learning, one holding this job can grow into Head of Risk, Regional Head of Audit etc.
Meaningful Work: Tugende’s work gives entrepreneurs the opportunity to earn a better living for themselves and their families. We are changing East Africa’s asset-finance industry by building a sustainable business that ignites financial inclusion and development. Join this movement!
Great Team: Tugende has a smart, fun, and growing team of ~750 employees. We take our work seriously, but love to joke and have fun. We regularly have fully-paid, voluntary team outings, as well as fun parties for our customers. Our headquarters are in Kampala, Uganda and we are rapidly expanding in East Africa.
Hours and compensation: This position is for an ambitious, full-time employee who will take on additional responsibilities and projects as they arise. Tugende offers competitive salaries and benefits that reflect a person’s contributions to the company’s mission and growth.
More About Tugende
Tugende means “let’s go” in Luganda and signifies the company's mission and what you say on the back of a motorcycle taxi. Tugende has been recognized as a 2012 Unreasonable Fellow, 2014 Echoing Green Global Fellow, 2016 GSBI Fellow, and received the MIT Zambezi prize in 2015 as one of the top 3 financial inclusion start-ups in Africa. We have appeared in The Guardian, BBC, Economist, and elsewhere.2021 Inclusive Fintech50! Award Winner (https://www.inclusivefintech50.com/2021-cohort), the lead hand blog (https://www.lendahand.com/en-EU/blog/804-lease-to-own-with-tugende-in-uganda) and Reuters video (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=htGGCJGywgg&t=10s)?
Click on the 'Apply Here' section to be redirected to the application portal.