Organization: DanChurchAid (DCA)
Duty Station: Arua
Reports to: Project Manager
DanChurchAid (DCA) is a faith-based, non-missionary relief and development organization based in Copenhagen, Denmark and founded in 1922. DCA has supported development and humanitarian programs in Uganda for over 35 years, working in partnership with local partners. DCA is a member of the ACT Alliance. Our key competencies in Uganda are livelihoods and food security, humanitarian response, and civil society development.
The Livelihoods Project Officer will contribute to the successful design and implementation of the DMDP project interventions in his/her area of operation. The Livelihoods Officer is also responsible for ensuring compliance with established M&E systems.
Position Responsibilities and Duties
- Together with the Project Manager, resolve the issues and make decisions regarding criteria identification, selection, verification, and graduation of beneficiaries targeted for livelihoods assistance.
- Contribute to proposal development based on participatory assessments and under the direction of the project manager.
- Engage with relevant staff and other support staff to put in place a detailed implementation plan for livelihoods project.
- ensure accountability specifically to refugees, local communities, Office of the Prime Minister (OPM), donors and other stakeholders.
- Overall responsible for implementation of the project livelihoods interventions including community mobilization and ensuring that the project integrates refugee and host community approaches.
- Closely follow up on day-to-day implementation of livelihood project activities and take corrective action to achieve key result indicators on livelihoods and other project targets and goals as specified in work plan.
- Facilitate partnerships that increase access and adoption of technologies to improve agricultural productivity by farmers. Coordinate with private sector partners and their agents to finance and promote on-farm technologies.
- Identify and leverage partnerships that enable targeted farmers access timely and appropriate market information.
- Develop, harness, and facilitate increased employment opportunities along the value chain.
- Broker and leverage productive relationships that result in increased access to various financing mechanisms by the targeted farmers.
- Design and promote “resource bundles” for the targeted farmers, where farmers are supported to access agro-inputs, training, financing, and market linkages.
- Ensure quality of project outputs and outcomes through regular supervision and monitoring.
- Ensure that the project beneficiaries are participating as equal partners in the design, monitoring and evaluation of projects.
Monitoring and Evaluation
- Participate in organizing special missions to the project including donors, senior management, and technical advisor visits.
- Maintain a folder comprised of a full set of M&E tools in project office for easy access by all Project staff, and update the respective project folders in PPD.
- Verify accuracy and validity of M&E data submitted by Project partners and community mobilisers before submission to M&E team.
- Complete data entry for the monthly implementation by last day of the month & generate monthly reports.
- In liaison with the MEAL team, play a key role in organizing project M&E events including midterm and end of project evaluation.
- Play a key role in generating donor reports at field level ensuring the accuracy and validity of information provided.
- Ensure that meaningful photos are taken, stored in project album, and shared via project reports, newsletters, case studies, stories, and notice boards, as well as uploaded on PPD.
- Participate in regular staff meetings.
- Supervise the performance of the livelihoods assistants and provide timely technical and managerial support.
- Ensure, in liaison with project manager, that team members operate in a secure environment and comply with security procedures and policies.
- Ensure optimal use of human resources, including promotion of teamwork and securing adequate training of staff and promotion of talented staff.
Reporting and Accountability
- Contribute to data gathering and timely reporting as requested by the project manager.
- Maintain an open dialogue with the beneficiaries to promote transparency and accountability including contributing to and implementing the Core Humanitarian Standards (CHS).
- Identify, document, and disseminate best practices gained from livelihood interventions.
- Share responsibility to maintain refugee community participation mechanisms in the project, ensuring that the voices of men, women, boys and girls and groups with specific needs are heard and represented
Presentation and Coordination
- Develop and maintain positive working relationships with DCA staff, national and local authorities, international and national organizations as well as technical focal points in food security and livelihoods, coordinate all planned projects with other Implementing partners (IPs), OPM, and donors to ensure consistency with cluster priorities.
- Represent DCA in relevant forums e.g., clusters, coordination structures with OPM, donors and NGOs in agreement with the project manager.
- Coordinate DCA programme activities with OPM, UN agencies and other nationals and international agencies/organizations.
- Prepare communication materials (e.g., photos, case studies etc.)
Qualifications, Experience and Skills
- Bachelor’s Degree in, Economics, Marketing, Business Administration, Natural Resource Management, Agriculture, or equivalent is required.
- Additional qualifications in value chain development will be an added advantage.
- At least 5+ years Proven experience in analysis of agricultural sectors, of value chains and natural resource management preferably in Northern Uganda.
- Proven track record in capacity building through providing advisory services and process facilitating, having demonstrated competences in advising producer organizations in improving access to markets.
- Knowledge of farming systems and value chain analysis.
- Knowledge of Market Systems development concepts.
- Relevant private sector development methodologies.
- Working knowledge of BDS (Business Development Services) tools.
- Knowledge of gender and social inclusion concepts.
- Team player with networking abilities at the national and regional levels, combined with result orientation. Strong intercultural skills.
- Computer skills and ability to work in a challenging and dynamic context.
- Fluency in written and spoken English.
DCA’s Uganda Program:
DCA has supported development and humanitarian programs in Uganda since 1979, working in partnership with local partners. DCA is a member of the ACT Alliance. Our key competencies in Uganda are in livelihoods and food security, Humanitarian response and Civil Society. For more information Please visit: https://www.danchurchaid.org/where-we-work/uganda.
How to Apply:
All suitably qualified and interested candidates who wish to join the DanChurchAid (DCA) should apply online through the 'Apply Here' section.
DCA offers a salary package (Salary, Insurance & Pension) in accordance with the experience & DCA Uganda HR Manual.
DCA is an equal opportunity employer, and all interested and qualified candidates are encouraged to apply regardless of age, race, gender, marital status, religious, political, or ethnic affiliation.
While we appreciate your interest to work with DCA, only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.