The Legal Officer works within the department of Programs under the Natural Resource Governance Project “Empowering Civil Society for Inclusive Development”, implemented in the Albertine and Karamoja sub-regions.
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Entry level
- Experience Length:2 years
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to: Project Coordinator Natural Resource Governance, Uganda office
Deadline to apply: August 4th, 2022 at 12.00 noon.
Expected starting date: As soon as possible.
Avocats Sans Frontières (ASF) is a development aid non-governmental organization whose work focuses on giving access to justice and protecting the fundamental rights of all people with a focus on most marginalized groups.
Scope of the position
The Legal Officer works within the department of Programs under the Natural Resource Governance Project “Empowering Civil Society for Inclusive Development”, implemented in the Albertine and Karamoja sub-regions. He/ She is responsible for the coordination of networks, the facilitation of data collection, and legal analysis under the project among other roles. The Legal Officer reports to the Project Coordinator – Natural Resource Governance and works in functional link with the M&E and AFL departments.
Key responsibilities include;
- Prepare work plans and operational forecasts for the activities in the areas of implementation;
- Implement all Monitoring and Evaluation tools and devices through ASF and partners’ activities;
- Prepare quarterly reports to the Coordinator of Programs;
- Prepare activity reports, including expenses reports (and their justification) for the Project Coordinator;
- Centralize, store and archive all relevant documents informing the implementation of the project;
- Support training of a pool of HR monitors, mediators, lawyers, and civil society organizations identified on Business & Human Rights;
- Together with project partners, provide support through coaching to the network/ pool of identified Human Rights monitors under the overall supervision of the Project Coordinator;
- Ensure ASF visibility throughout the projects’ activities;
- Support the pool of community-based organizations, networks, and community activists with whom to partner in the project;
- Design the Standard Operating Practices (SoPs) for the collection, storage, and analysis of the data collected in the project;
- Receives the incident reports by project partners and ensures their documentation and storage in databases;
- In coordination with the M&E officer, develop and maintain the project’s databases including the litigation and mediation databases;
- Support continuous assessment of the needs of the members of the networks and design of tailored capacity-building solutions in response.
- Support data analysis from the data collected and produces monthly digests about trends and patterns;
- Support research and survey processes are undertaken under the project;
- Draft the intermediary report under the Community-based human rights impact assessment program;
- Organize the dissemination of the preliminary findings, receive and compile comments and finalize the report.
- Advise project partners about the follow-ups, referrals, and legal actions to take from the incidents reported
- BA in Law
- Graduate from Law Development Centre
- Licensed advocate with the Uganda Law Society (Added advantage)
- 2 years in the areas of legal aid provision, project management, human rights monitoring, and network facilitation
Knowledge and skills:
- Conversant with project management cycle
- Proficiency with International Human Rights norms pertaining to natural resource governance.
- Strong writing skills
- Strong interpersonal skills
- Ability to work in a multicultural team
- Full digital literacy
- Proven experience in data collection and data analysis
- Full office package mastered
- Proficiency with the Kobo Toolbox
- English required
How to apply
ASF is an equal opportunity employer; interested applicants should send a Cover letter, detailed Curriculum Vitae, copies of academic transcripts; three reachable references, and salary expectations no later than August 4th, 2022 at 12.00 noon. Applications must be addressed to email@example.com and with the reference “Legal Officer, NRG Application” in the subject heading.
ASF will only contact short-listed candidates
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.