Our client, a Commercial Law Firm is looking to hire a Legal Officer to support in handling their client’s legal matters and play an important role in the development of their business. This role will take responsibility for clients’ legal queries and advising on appropriate legal process, preparation of client files, scheduling of client cases and ably representing clients in court.
Working as part of a highly professional team, you will advise clients on general legal matters across a variety of areas including commercial law. You must be able to draft and negotiate contracts; provide business advice in a legal context; recognize potential legal problems and guide clients to prevent escalation at an early stage; obtain and manage relationships with clients and represent clients in court.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Provide expert advice and guidance on the legal aspects of various matters pertaining to Client’ main areas of commercial focus – Contract Law, Intellectual Property Rights, Banking and Finance, Land Transactions and Employment Law.
• Offer efficient, timely and practical legal advice and strategic guidance to clients.
• Support clients in the creation, review and negotiation of contracts and other legal and commercial documentation (e.g. sale agreements, consultancy agreements, partnership agreements, license & support agreements, statements of work, letters of intent, etc.)
• Proactively recognize and highlight concerns and areas of potential exposure to risk as well as escalation of legal issues to clients.
• File client cases and follow up on each stage of the matter.
• Represent client legal matter in court.
• Oversee legal investigations of client matters.
• Support clients to develop legal and other policies to mitigate any risk.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• Must hold a qualifying Law Degree.
• A Post Graduate Diploma in legal practice.
• The applicant must be admitted to practice in Uganda
• 1-3 years of experience practicing law at the High Court of Uganda.
• Strong contract drafting and negotiation experience.
• Possess the ability to communicate with and earn confidence of business people.
• Highly self-motivated lawyer who wants to participate a diverse company.
• Fluent spoken/written English is required.
• Wide range of commercial experience and some employment law experience is highly desirable.
• Possess the ability to manage a wide variety of relationships.
• Communication: Can explain complex legal concepts to a layperson, without resorting to legal jargon.
• Integrity: Works well with others, respectfully and values truth.
• Team Work: Actively builds relationships with colleagues and clients, respects the opinion and diversity of people different from themselves.
• Growth Oriented: Is driven to deliver beyond client expectation to develop personal expertise as opposed to seeking quick gains.
• Creative: Focused on providing commercial legal advice rather than the most legally correct answer.
All applications will be received and Reviewed through the Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section