he Legal Manager will ensure a sound Legal Framework for the Bank by offering in-house legal advisory services, efficient management of the Legal department and support to management and the Bank on Legal Risk generally including but not limited to contractual, credit, litigation, regulatory and statutory risks.
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Mid level
- Experience Length:4 years
Finance Trust Bank was licensed as a Tier 1 Commercial Bank on 11th November, 2013, taking over the financial services business of Uganda Finance Trust Limited (MDI). Today Finance Trust Bank is a fully-fledged commercial bank serving a clientele of over 500,000 depositors and over 37,000 borrowers, through a network of 35 branches country wide. The bank oﬀers a variety of Products and services including; Savings, Current accounts, Loans, Money transfer services and Bills payments to its target market which comprises of micro, small and medium entrepreneurs, salary earners and youth.
In order to meet the needs of its growing customer base, the company is seeking to recruit dynamic, self-motivated, result oriented professionals to fill the following position;
- Legal Manager
The position reports administratively to the Head of Legal Department
Role of the job
The Legal Manager will ensure a sound Legal Framework for the Bank by offering in-house legal advisory services, efficient management of the Legal department and support to management and the Bank on Legal Risk generally including but not limited to contractual, credit, litigation, regulatory and statutory risks. The jobholder shall also provide support and/or mange potential litigation issues as well as litigation cases filed by or against the Bank to ensure that the Bank’s interests are not prejudiced either before court, in the public domain or business environment.
Key Result Areas
- In liaison with the Head of Department, develop, maintain and implement legal policies and procedures for Finance Trust Bank.
- Represent the Bank in courts of law, tribunals, and other statutory bodies.
- Track, manage and measure external lawyers’ performance to ensure efficiency.
- Support Management in identifying emerging legal risk, mitigants and in setting performance measures and recommend action in respect of external counsel services.
- Provide legal advice, drafts, and review legal correspondences by/to the Bank, including notices to instigate court action and follow through to ensure that consumers and Bank rights are protected or enforced as the case may be.
- Draft and/or review contracts to be executed by the Bank in its operations including but not limited to credit, commercial and finance contracts, engagements with partners, review and renewal of leases and tenancy agreements.
- In liaison with the Head of Department, develop and maintain the annual plan for the legal function.
- In liaison with the Head of Department, design the disaster recovery strategy for the legal function.
- Design litigation strategies and procedures, institute legal proceedings on behalf of the Bank in line with the legal policy, under the guidance of the Corporation Secretary.
- Upon instruction from the Head of Department, attend all Board and Management meetings and where required, record proceedings of the meetings.
- Provide oversight over recoveries of stuck and written off loans in line with legal provisions providing the required legal guidance to the Debt Recovery function and monitor the performance of the approved debt collectors
- Supervise and manage the performance of the legal staff and provide periodic reports to the Head of Department
- Manage litigation costs to a minimum including but not limited to negotiating settlements in favor of the Bank where deemed appropriate.
- Train staff of Finance Trust in basic legal procedure.
- Ensure registration of the Bank’s intellectual property rights in line with the legal provisions.
- Prepare management reports of the legal function in line with the operational plans.
- Support Management in delivering, monitoring, and reporting compliance with the divisional operating plan, budget, and service level agreements.
- Provide support and supervisory oversight to Legal staff in the Legal Department.
Minimum qualification requirements and technical competencies:
- The Applicant must hold a Bachelor of Laws from a recognized and reputable institution and a Diploma in Legal practice.
- The applicant must be an Advocate of the High Court of Uganda and in possession of a valid practicing certificate
- A minimum of 4 years’ post enrolment working experience gained from a Financial Institution or a busy corporate entity, commercial Law Firm
- Good interpersonal & teamwork skills.
- Ability to work well under pressure
- Good sense of self drive and business acumen
- Good personal presentation skills.
- People management, organizational and leadership abilities.
- High level of flexibility, integrity and confidentiality.
- Position carries an attractive salary and benefits package.
Suitably qualified candidates should address their application to Head, Human Resource, Finance Trust Bank, Plot 115 & 121, and Katwe. P.O. Box 6972, Kampala, Uganda, and email it, as well as photocopies of academic testimonials, and a CV to Jobs@financetrust.co.ug. The CV should include telephone contacts and email addresses of three referees, one of who should be the most recent employer.
Closing date for submission of applications is 10th October, 2022. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted on Tel. Numbers 0312 222600 or 0414 341275 ONLY. Please note: As per Bank procedures, No job offers are made online.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.