Reporting to the Head, People & Culture Business Partner- Country Programs, the role will lead and manage the execution of P&C country strategy. Working as a trusted advisor to assigned leaders (Country Head, Regional & Country team), they deliver value-added services that reflect business objectives.
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Mid level
- Experience Length:3 years
About Mastercard Foundation
Mastercard Foundation seeks a world where everyone has the opportunity to learn and prosper. Through its Young Africa Works strategy and Canadian EleV program, the Foundation works with partners to ensure that millions of young people, especially young women, access quality education, financial services, and dignified work. Mastercard Foundation was established in 2006 through the generosity of Mastercard when it became a public company. The Foundation is independent with its own Board of Directors and CEO.
THE WORK AT THE FOUNDATION
We have entered a very exciting time at the Foundation as we scale up our operations across Africa to realize our Young Africa Works strategy. Our role at the Mastercard Foundation is to be a catalyst. Our Young Africa Works strategy focuses on working with others to spur systemic change so young people have the opportunity to find work that is dignified and fulfilling.
The Foundation has opened offices in Rwanda, Kenya, Ghana, Senegal, Ethiopia, Nigeria, and Uganda, building a broader leadership presence in Africa to develop specific strategies that support youth employment. Within a country, we work with governments, the private sector, educators, young people, and other funders to improve the quality of education and vocational training, prepare young people for the work force, expand access to financial services for entrepreneurs and small businesses, and connect job seekers to dignified and fulfilling work.
We are ambitious and driven. Our values transcend and rise above everything else as our guide. We encourage you to bring your bold ideas, curiosity, and expertise to your work. We laugh at ourselves and with each other. We are a team. Our journey together makes our impact even more meaningful.
UNDERSTANDING CANADA PROGRAMS AT THE FOUNDATION
The Foundation has begun working within Canada in partnership with Indigenous communities and post-secondary institutions to listen, learn, and best understand how we can act in meaningful ways. The EleV strategy was co-created with Indigenous communities, young people, and partners to enable 30,000 Indigenous youth to complete their education and transition to dignified work aligned with their values and aspirations.
As reflected in Canada’s Truth and Reconciliation Commission Calls to Action, education is a key driver of improved socio-economic well-being. Through building partnerships with Indigenous communities, we look to expand our initiative ultimately helping to support a generation of transformative Indigenous young leaders who will be change agents within their communities. We believe that by setting a bold target, we will encourage engagement across sectors and create momentum that will elevate the strengths and opportunities of Indigenous youth. In keeping with our approach, Indigenous communities and young people will be the drivers of this transformation. The program will promote innovations to address longer-term systemic change to achieve economic prosperity and social well-being within Indigenous communities.
The EleV team oversees current and emerging partnerships related to Indigenous education. Consistent with our overall vision and Youth Africa Works strategy, we will share learnings and opportunities to connect across the work of the Foundation. While operating in distinct contexts, the centrality of youth voice and vision, affirmation of culture and identity, and priority to enhance community capacity for self-determination are common threads upon which our work is strengthened and reinforced.
If you are an experienced People & Culture Business Partner professional looking to increase your impact, read on!
Reporting to the Head, People & Culture Business Partner- Country Programs, the role will lead and manage the execution of P&C country strategy. Working as a trusted advisor to assigned leaders (Country Head, Regional & Country team), they deliver value-added services that reflect business objectives. They perform the role of business partner to execute P&C Programs, agenda and initiatives, and interface with P&C colleagues to provide best-in-class and creative P&C solutions to assigned clients.
The successful candidate will be based in Uganda.
WAYS YOU CAN CONTRIBUTE
- Focal contact as advisor and coach for day-to-day HR activities for the Country and provide support for various functions including workforce planning, performance evaluation process, recruitment, among others in liaison with other HR Subject Matter Experts.
- Provide professional advice to all levels of the Foundation by building working tactical relationships with Leaders and staff to ensure strong employee relations and engagement.
- Maintain an effective level of business literacy to understand current and future needs of the Foundation to provide proactive support and services aligned to those needs.
- Identify business issues and suggests creative solutions.
- Maintain in-depth knowledge of legal region/country requirements ensuring all employment legislation and standards are followed for regulatory and internal policy compliance.
- Manage and provide support for various employee relations services including performance counselling, employee grievances, exit interviews and disciplinary actions as required in line with Employee Relations processes and procedures.
- Build relationships amongst staff to ensure strong employee relations. Provide guidance and professional advice to all levels of the Foundation in the region/country.
- Provide advice on the design of HR policies, procedures, processes and systems.
- Monitor the effectiveness of new and current programs in the region/country, research, identify opportunities and recommend changes/enhancements of initiatives.
- Understand current and future needs of the region/country in order to provide proactive advice and support aligned to those needs.
- Partner with the larger HR team to develop and ensure appropriate change and communication strategies.
- Build line manager capabilities and provide routine support to ensure adherence to HR policies, procedures, processes and systems.
- In liaison with the Talent Acquisition team, support recruitment management, including creating job descriptions, contributing to sourcing strategy, candidate selection, offer approvals and onboarding.
- Partner with the Talent Management team to:
- provide support to leaders in career planning, coaching and performance feedback
- analyze and identify learning needs for employee development
- facilitate development planning for the region/country aligned to business and individual needs
- Lead the implementation all Performance and Reward programs, processes and plans in the region/country.
- Lead the active management of performance management in the region/country, including the performance management cycle, high & low individual performers.
- Coordinate with P&C Operations in administering benefits enrolment for new hires and partner with Payroll to ensure all payroll legislation, processes and guidelines are correct and compliant.
- Analyze and interpret People & Culture reports, metrics and innovation as required and provide recommendations for decision making.
- Implement and maintain People and Culture dashboards and reports for respective region/country.
- Ensure adequate, timely and accurate communication of reports s for respective region/country.
- Build relationships with external support such as legal counsel, payroll support, etc.
Who You Are
- University Degree and/or Graduate Degree (Masters/PhD), preferably in Human Resources, Psychology or Organization Development or a related field and/or equivalent combination is required.
- Ability to effectively partner with the other HR teams to develop and ensure efficiencies in support strategies and process documentation.
- Strong knowledge of local market employment law and legislation.
- Possess creative approaches and diverse solutions and are willing to take calculated risks to influence the adoption of fresh ideas.
- Ability to effectively co-create with a variety of stakeholders, as well as work effectively in a team-based environment.
- Possess a high degree of integrity and forethought in approach to making decisions and driving results on behalf of the Foundation.
- Honed problem-solving skills combined with a track record of pivoting in response to opportunities and challenges.
- Results driven and motivated by a sense of performance, excellence and urgency.
- Proficiency with MS Office applications (PowerPoint, Word, and Excel), SharePoint, Yammer and HRIS.
- Language Skills Fluent in both English and French.
- Ability to influence others, including senior leaders.
- Ability to work under pressure with tight deadlines.
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to execute a range of job duties and changing priorities.
- Humble and have in depth ability to understand different situations but with ability to interpret and give recommendation towards positive resolution.
- Flexible, adaptable, and able to execute a range of job duties and changing priorities.
- Possess excellent verbal, written, and presentation skills with the ability to articulate information to a variety of constituents across cultures.
- Possess professional maturity, sensitivity with different cultures, and impeccable integrity that exemplify the Foundation’s values.
- Demonstrate a commitment to Mastercard Foundation’s values and vision.
Deadline for Applications is September 20, 2022.
The Mastercard Foundation values the unique skills and experiences each individual brings to the organization and we are committed to creating and maintaining an inclusive and accessible environment for everyone.
Completion of satisfactory business references and background checks are essential conditions of employment.
For more information and to sign up for the Foundation’s newsletter, please visit http://www.mastercardfdn.org/
Follow the Foundation on Twitter at @MastercardFdn
NB: To avoid missing email communication about your application, please check your spam/junk folder and mark our emails as "not junk"
How to apply.
Click on the 'Apply Here' section to be redirected to the application portal.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.