The holder of this position reports to the Head of Business Growth Support. Within the organization, the IM will have working relationships with the in-country investment team. Externally, the IM will mostly work with the post-investment entrepreneur
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Senior level
- Experience Length:5 years
About Balloon Capital
Since 2011, Balloon has worked with over 1,500 entrepreneurs in emerging markets. We know that growth is hard and most businesses inevitably start small and stay small. But every now and then we meet someone truly exceptional entrepreneur. Despite the challenging commercial environment, these people are still doing incredible things, running businesses and creating employment.
At Balloon, we know that these entrepreneurs have the potential to do so much more. Our aim is to unlock their potential, so they don’t just employ 5 people, but 500. Balloon Capital will find the most exceptional informal sector entrepreneurs and offer funding plus technical support to help these businesses grow at least 5 times in 3 years. Through this, we will support a new generation of indigenous entrepreneurs building the SMEs of tomorrow and changing lives through enterprise, not aid. This is an exceptional opportunity to build an investment fund from the ground up.
The role’s key purpose is to create sustainable impact through serving post- investment entrepreneurs with business support in the areas of operations, financial management and general business administration, to enable them to realize their full business potential and achieve long-term success. Additionally, the IM will share within the Balloon Capital network their knowledge, expertise, and the lessons learned during the execution of their duties through updating the playbook.
Ideal candidate profile
Balloon Capital is a mission-driven, for-profit, development finance organization that is run on strong commercial principles. We recruit people that believe in the power of capital and market development to bring about positive change and lasting social impact in local communities. We, therefore, seek to employ people who are passionate about our sector and what we do, are strong on ethics and are committed to the success and sustainability of our clients and of Balloon Capital.
Balloon Capital works with local entrepreneurs who are looking to professionalize and grow their businesses at least 5 times in 3 years. We support them with specific practical and relevant business advice. This requires us to be accessible, down-to-earth, pragmatic, hands-on, professional, respectful, and honest.
Learning is part of the Balloon Capital culture. Each employee, at every level, is conscious of the need to continuously raise her/his knowledge and skills. The willingness to learn and share knowledge is therefore a non-negotiable condition of employment.
The holder of this position reports to the Head of Business Growth Support. Within the organization, the IM will have working relationships with the in-country investment team. Externally, the IM will mostly work with post-investment entrepreneurs.
Key performance areas
1. Operations Management
- Develop a standard process flow for the operations of the business
- Support the entrepreneurs to draft HR Manuals for all the businesses in the Balloon Capital portfolio
- Support the entrepreneur to design HR Contracts for all the staff
- Design supplier contracts for the key suppliers to lock in all supply lines
- Design an organogram for the businesses clearly defining the reporting lines and primary roles for every staff member
- Support the entrepreneur to regularize their practices with the industry and national standard guidelines e.g UNBS
- Support the entrepreneur to ensure that the entrepreneurs maintain very high-quality standards for their products and services
- Streamline the decision-making process to prioritize value-adding processes and practices
- Ensure the protection of Balloon’s assets held with the entrepreneurs
- Daily checklist for staff to ensure adherence to standard production practices
- Staff contracts
- Existence of HR Manuals for all businesses with standardized payment dates for salaries
- Existence of Supply contracts for key suppliers
- Existence of standard organograms that clearly shows the reporting lines for all staff
- UNBS and other industry certifications
- Production of standardized high quality products
- Balloon assets are regularly and promptly serviced
2. Financial Management
- Design a standard financial management process flow that ensures expedited revenue collection and effective cost management
- Support the entrepreneur to ensure effective management of their resources to prioritize the repayment of Balloon’s investment.
- Support activities that grow the business’ profitability
- Ensure the adherence to the national regulations as regards the collection of taxes and any other regular dues.
- Support the entrepreneur to draft a viable credit management policy that expedites collections from our debtors and controls the is issuance of debt to creditors
- Support the entrepreneurs to control pilferage through the
- usage of formal practices that reduce cash at hand and issuance of receipts (vouchers)
- Number of financial reports capturing excellent regular management accounts
- Performance against quarterly growth plan (traffic light system?) /accounting for changes in these plans
- % change in revenue
- % change in the working capital position
- % change in the number of paid staff
- Repayments against projections
- Number of investees per Investment Manager
- Net promoter score/satisfaction/referrals
3. Knowledge Management – Insights collected, stored, shared, and leveraged systematically and with precision
- Capture all experiences, contacts, and addresses in the “playbook”
- Create linkages between entrepreneurs, especially those in the same industries
- Share knowledge (challenges and successes) captured with the Balloon team
- Reports submitted on time and to the required standard
- Number of success stories replicated elsewhere with other entrepreneurs
- Number of networking workshops arranged for staff to share experiences
Required experience, qualifications, and skills
- 5+ years of a demonstrated track record in Business Administration and Management with clear knowledge of financial management, operations management, HR, and Sales/Marketing
- Business degree required. An MBA is preferred.
- Excellent business analysis skills
- Ability to design financial management templates and contracts
- Ability to design sales and marketing strategies
- Ability to analyze industry trends and design mechanisms to tackle the challenges the changes bring forth
- Excellent communication, negotiation, and interpersonal skills
- Ability to comprehend the challenges faced by the entrepreneurs and devise means of addressing them
- Excellent written and spoken language fluency in English and any of the following languages (Luganda, Lusoga or Lugisu
How to apply.
All applications will be received and Reviewed through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.