Duty Station: Kampala, Uganda
RTI International is a nonprofit organization headquartered in the Research Triangle Park in North Carolina. RTI provides research and technical services. It was founded in 1958 with $500,000 in funding from local businesses and the three North Carolina universities that form the Research Triangle.
Job Summary: The Human Resources Specialist will provide HR services to the project team as it relates to programs, functions, and policies encompassing several areas including: recruitment, benefits management, training and performance management, employee relations and safety, retention and exit management. The position requires the incumbent to use professional concepts and organization policies and procedures to solve a wide range of HR related challenges in imaginative and practical ways. The incumbent works on problems of diverse scope and exercises judgment within generally defined practices and policies to identify HR-related solutions.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
- Oversees all HR functions on the project including: hiring, employment agreement preparations, onboarding, HR file management, Dynamic Development, retention and exit procedures.
- Collaborates closely with RTI HR Regional office in Nairobi.
- Supports the processing of Local National (LN) offer requests, including creation of employment agreements; tracking status of new hire onboarding; disbursing new hire information; processing personnel action requests and creating employee notifications.
- Organizes on-boarding and placement process for new staff and organizes for their timely enrolment in the benefits
- Coordinates on computer account creation process for LN employees by ensuring required information flows to appropriate GTS staff, monitoring status, and confirming activation for new hires.
- Provides guidance to project leadership team on compensation planning and HR adjustments on Job grading according to approved RTI matrix.
- Provides HR policy interpretation and relationship management.
- Keeps track of Uganda HR policy changes and timely communicates the changes to relevant audiences
- Is the primary contact with staff benefit vendors, tracking Private Medical Insurance (PMI) and Group Personal Accident (GPA) updates and renewals.
- Maintains personnel records for staff, keeping an HR tracker and contacts database in compliance with RTI policies
- Manages leave-tracking system for annual, sick or other leave as applicable.
- Supports the professional development of project staff.
- Supports the payroll process by ensuring that correct data is provided to the finance department, including communicating any personnel contract changes.
- Works closely with Management to ensure that staff morale is highly engaged, staff welfare and motivation activities are instituted and well managed
- Provides updates to business units and Regional Office as it relates to local national human resources administration, operations, employment policies, and practices
- Performs other duties and initiatives as assigned by supervisor or project management.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
- Relevant degrees – human resources management, office management, management, public administration, social sciences and administrations, or any humanities related courses.
- A Master’s degree with 3 years or a Bachelor’s degree with 6 years of relevant working experience in Human Resources and/or Administration is required, preferably with a busy international organization.
- At least six (6) years’ experience in the area of human resources generalist administration.
- Mature individual who possesses strong interpersonal/relationship building skills.
- Strong leadership, and organizational skills.
- Able to work independently and manage a variety of activities with attention to detail.
- Ability to understand and interpret policies and procedures as well as apply them with consistency in a variety of circumstances.
- Creative and innovative thinking and problem-solving skills.
- Excellent cross-cultural communication and interpersonal skills demonstrated by ability to interact professionally with culturally and linguistically diverse staff, clients and consultants.
- Advanced skills in Excel spreadsheets, Word and Power point presentations; comfortable in a Windows PC environment.
- Conversant with current HR management principles and best practices in Uganda.
How to Apply:
All candidates should apply online by clicking on the 'Apply Here' section.