Liquid Telecom is the leading independent data, voice & IP provider in eastern, central & southern Africa. It supplies fibre optic, satellite & international carrier services to Africa’s largest mobile network operators, ISPs & businesses of all sizes. Liquid Telecom also provides payment solutions to financial institutions & retailers, as well as award-winning data storage & communication solutions to businesses across Africa & beyond.
The Head of Technical Operations provides leadership and management of all the technical operations and functions in the Uganda Office; Service Management, Service Assurance, Service Delivery, Capex/Opex planning/spend/optimization, capital projects scoping/implementation and internal/external stakeholders management.
The incumbent will be responsible for planning, deployment, implementation, operations and maintenance of the OPCO Network Infrastructure and Technologies to deliver the best in the class network and service uptime for customer satisfaction, retention, and growth.
He/she will be responsible for the service delivery, service assurance and service management as well as stakeholder management such as a regulator, local authorities, business partners, suppliers, key customers, etc
Strategy, Policy and Planning
• Oversees the implementation of the technical business plan to enable and assist the commercial department with product / service positioning in the marketplace
• Co-ordinates the planning, development and roll out of the network and the associated infrastructure
• Keeps abreast with emerging technologies in the industry and defines technical strategies for penetrating the marketplace, while keeping the company ahead of the competition.
Network and Systems Services
• Ensures that there is adequate radio and fibre networks coverage and capacity to ensure adherence to prescribed standards for transmission and services delivery
• Implements, controls and reports on all matters relating to the network and systems performance
• Ensures the network, systems uptime and performance are as per the agreed quality metrics and SLA performance
• Ensures high level diagnosis, analysis and problem solving for all technical activities in the organization.
• Develops and executes Networks and Systems disaster recovery and business continuity plan
Business/ Revenue Growth
• Provides input to the evaluation, negotiation and procurement of network telecommunications equipment from various manufacturers
• Directs and monitors service delivery for new and existing customers. This is to ensure that new customers revenues are recognised asap and also that churn and credit notes are reduced to the minimum
• Researches and Recommends to the Executive through the Business Development Committee on areas to improve business performance.
• Ensures adherence to the technical capex and opex budgets, direct and indirect costs
• Prepares annual Capital and Operational Expenditure budgets for Network planning and development.
Leadership and Management
• Directs and provides leadership to the technical team.
• Ensures effective achievement of the agreed Technical objectives.
• Directs and co-ordinates technical resources to ensure the achievement of OPCO’s business objectives.
• Approves, prioritizes, and controls projects and the project portfolio as they relate to the selection, acquisition, development, and installation of major Network systems
• Promotes and oversees strategic relationships between internal Networks resources and external entities, including government, vendors, and partner organizations
• Supervises recruitment, development, retention, and organization of all Network staff in accordance with corporate budgetary objectives and personnel policies
• Carries out Performance Appraisals for subordinates and identifies training and development needs
• Ensures competency/skills transfer plans for technical staff members
• Determines and develops OPCO CAPEX and OPEX budgets associated with infrastructure services, network build and optimization, operation & maintenance, and network rollouts.
• Manages and tracks budgets to ensure cost optimization.
• Assists with the operating and capital budget, financial forecasting and investment strategy
• Develops Network performance criteria and data to measure productivity and goal achievement.
• Consolidates network resources and assets for network quantification and documentations
• Reviews deployment and operating cost, to minimize costs and maximize investment returns. Prevents operational delays on delivery of projects.
• Establishes operations standards for cost control, waste reduction, and on-time delivery.
• Provides technical approvals and signoffs for BOM, BOQ and project costing of Infrastructure and projects, inventory requisition, contracts, and services.
• Develops Passive and Active network infrastructure planning and deployment across the region while providing clear direction on delivery objectives
• Oversees all Network Build and Network Project implementations across EAR Region.
• Liaises between Regional offices on all the approved standards, designs, protocols, and products.
• Provides leadership in the planning, definition, specification, and delivery of key infrastructure elements, SLA and bandwidth contracts
• Manages rollout of new networking technologies in line with industry evolution and business requirements, aligning with technology advancement.
• Reviews critical network maintenance schedules and activities and provide approvals and guidance where applicable.
• Oversees build infrastructure & rollout budget to ensure compliance with organizational expenditure requirements.
Technical Operations, Network and Customer Support Management
• Coordinates directs and reports all operations activities across the OPCO.
• Supervises day-to-day operations of the OPCO Technical Teams
• Monitors OPCO network and service availability and uptime by ensuring escalated incidents are resolved within SLA.
• Participates in the development of IT policies and procedures, including those for architecture, security, Business Continuity Planning, standards, and service provision.
• Ensures compliance with the rules and regulations imposed by the government for the operation of telecommunications systems.
Service Delivery and Customer Satisfaction
• Supervises delivery of technical solutions from SDU backorders. Scope and manage project demand and resources.
• Leads green field technical research and projects in introducing new products, product features, solutions, technologies.
• Assists the presales team in evaluating market opportunities and scoping complex client solutions against the network capabilities and evolving techniques and methodologies to support them
• Collaborates with the products, sales and marketing teams to review existing products
Vendor and contractor management
• Participates in providing technical guidance in vendor and contractor assessments and evaluations. Manages all the testing phase of products with the vendor.
• Coordinates vendor support participation in problem response and root cause analysis.
• Coordinates third-party support and maintenance for active network infrastructure and passive elements Leadership and Governance
• Ensures compliance to network policy and operational guidelines and integrity within the department and across the company is adhered to all the time.
• Provides technical approvals and signoffs for inventory requisition, circuit upgrades, disconnections, reconnections and contracts
• Develops and implements best practice policies, operational governance and interdepartmental communication and driving continuous improvement
Skills & Competencies
• Degree in a relevant field (Electrical and Electronic Engineering, Telecoms, Computer Science)
• Master of Science or Master of Business Administration degree
• Relevant professional/ vendor certification, Cisco, Juniper, NOKIA, ECI etc
• 5 years working experience in the telecommunication industry in Engineering, Service Management, Service Assurance or Service Delivery
• Electrical/Telecommunication engineering background
• Proven track record in the planning, implementation and operation of the telecommunications network
• Solid understanding of financial considerations relating to the technical and operational aspects specific to a telecommunications operator
• Experience with planning, design, implementing and managing operations & maintenance structures with application tools and processes.
• Knowledge of Network Management Systems and other Technical systems
• Proven technical and analytical skills in resolving Layer 1-3 across a variety of equipment vendors.
• Ability to express complex technical concepts effectively, both verbally and in writing.
• Ability to conduct research into application issues and products.
• Self-motivated with the ability to work with a minimum of direction and drive to implement significant change management programmes
• A team builder, team leader and team player, a logical and pragmatic problem solver with excellent negotiation skills.
We would like to highly encourage all applicants who qualify to apply for this exciting opportunity.
All applications should be submitted to email@example.com on or before 17th July 2020.