The Finance Manager is to ensure that there is significant leadership provided to the team in the implementation of ZOA finance strategies and to ensure financial planning and management activities including budgeting & forecasting, a sound financial reporting systems, compliance and creation of value to support achievement ZOA’s strategic business continuity by having meaningful financial impact on the organization.
- Minimum Qualification:Bachelor
- Experience Level:Senior level
- Experience Length:5 years
Place in organisation
The Finance Manager is line managed by / reports to the Director of Operations in Kampala.
The Finance Manager supervises all the finance staff in Kampala.
The Finance manager has a dotted line management (technical supervision) of the finance teams in the field offices.
Duties and Responsibilities
Leadership and Team Management
• Oversee application of ZOA Policy and Guidelines ensuring compliance.
• Communicate to the Finance team a clear and exciting vision for the work of ZOA and for the role of department in supporting the organisation.
• Responsible for induction, performance monitoring, training on the job and staff well-being of finance staff.
• Support team members to grow in their potential capacity and motivate them to grow in their performance e.g. by encouraging and praising good performance, coaching, assisting staff to prevent or resolve problems, providing resources, tools and equipment.
• Ensure gender and conflict sensitive approach to team management.
• Monitor the quality of financial and administrative operations of the field offices.
• Support country office and field offices in acquisition, purchase, contract management and tender procedures in accordance with ZOA internal systems;
• Periodic meetings with the field finance team for relevant accounting needs and deliverables.
Risk Management and Compliance
• Provide leadership, and financial insights to the finance and accounting areas of the organization, proposing and implementing improvements in operational management processes to increase efficiency.
• Support management in compliance to donor regulation, local government regulation and ZOA regulations.
• Support and oversee awareness measures for prevention of fraud, bribery and corruption; report any suspected misconduct to Director of Operations and assist with periodic risk assessments and trainings.
• Advise both finance and non-finance staff over matters of internal control compliance periodically review the suitability of the existing controls to ensure they are adequate to minimise the risk exposure of ZOA and that they reinforce the proper implementation of programs.
• Ensure full compliance with Uganda Revenue Authority, NGO Board and returns requirements and be the key contact with bank support personnel, auditors and tax advisors.
• Coordinate and support the External and Internal Audits and follows on actions for management resolution/address.
• Collaborate with other contracted finance support teams, and lead finance functions, especially with the budget owners/manager/Operations team.
• Ensure accurate and timely financial reporting for decision making.
• Ensure the monthly budget balances report is up to date and shared with budget holders. Minimize the number of errors from the team reports through constant feedback.
• Confirm expense codes on all requests as they are received, correct where necessary through the budget manager.
• Prepare, analyze, and submit accurate monthly financial and management reports, including; income statement, balance sheet, budget and variance, projections and forecast, and cash flow.
• Coordinate the preparation of the audited financial statements and all tax returns.
• Prepare a variety of ad hoc financial scenarios as requested.
Financial Control & Accounting
• Observe and implement the accounting systems, payments, bookkeeping, statutory filing, revenue management, and improvement of payment systems.
• Ensure that all financial transactions are processed accurately, in a timely manner, in accordance with generally accepted accounting principles through the ERP system, identifying and correcting any variances.
• Maintain a system to track financial commitments and outstanding contract amounts by staff and third parties transacting with ZOA and ensure that they are diligently executed when due.
• Develop, implement, and maintain processes and controls that are current best practices related to transaction processing.
• Manage and process all the following transactions: payroll, taxes, accounts payable, revenue and expense, fixed assets, cash, bank reconciliations, and allocations.
• Responsible for periodic update of fixed assets register in ERP, collaborating with the logistics team to ensure accuracy of asset details.
• Perform month-end closing procedures, including account reconciliations, and updating schedules.
• Support budget managers to prepare periodic budgets and forecasts while providing clarity where needed.
• Prepare budgets for new proposals, budget modifications and the country year budget.
• Ensure budgets are entered into the ERP system.
• Share monthly and quarterly BVA reports with budget holders for ease of planning.
• Monitor the budget changes and update the approved budgets in ERP.
• Offer periodic training or refresher training to the teams aimed at improving financial management, discipline and accountability as stipulated in our policies and procedures.
• University degree in Finance, Business Administration or any related field, CPA an added advantage.
• Proven work experience of 5-7 years in a financial management or senior finance position.
• Proven work experience with International NGO in the humanitarian sector.
• Proven experience with Excel, ERP systems or any other financial related Management Information System at the level of advanced user.
• Good knowledge of procurement and logistics practices.
• Good communicator with a fluent command of English.
• Experience in general team management.
• Cross cultural experience in a development setting.
Skills and Attitude:
• Holds oneself accountable for making decisions, managing resources efficiently, achieving and role modelling ZOA values.
• Result-oriented approach, initiates but also makes sure that initiatives come to a satisfactory result.
• Able to work under pressures, putting first things first, knowing how to prioritize and meeting deadlines.
• Builds and maintains effective relationships, with their team, colleagues, external partners and stakeholders.
• Able to work in a sometimes fluid and insecure environment.
• Dares to push ‘the panic button’ when she/he sees that things are going wrong.
• Good conceptual and analytical thinking.
• Flexibility and adaptability
• Interpersonal and cross cultural sensitivity.
Salary and other terms of employment
• The Finance Manager will be based in Kampala. Regular field travel to the projects and other locations is required (up to 30% of the time).
• The role is 1.0 FTE (40 hrs/week). Working hours are outlined in the ZOA Uganda Conditions of Service. Some flexibility on working hours may be required, e.g. for travel at weekends.
• The role is offered in scale M2 in the ZOA Uganda salary scale 2022 (starting salary is UGX 5,000,000 gross).
How to apply
Click on the 'Apply Here' section to be redirected to the application portal.
Important Safety Tips
- Do not make any payment without confirming with the BrighterMonday Customer Support Team.
- If you think this advert is not genuine, please report it via the Report Job link below.