Within Uganda , Arua , East Africa
Position : Finance Assistant (for Nationals only)
Starting date : January 2022
Duty station : (Arua - West Nile)
Reports to : Finance and Admin Associate Manager
ZOA is an international NGO that inspired by Christian identity and biblical message of reconciliation and restoration of a broken world with its headquarters in the Netherlands. ZOA operate in fifteen countries on and on three continents. At ZOA we provide relief to people affected by conflict or natural disasters, contribute to a new perspective of hope in which people work together for a promising future in dignity and mutual trust. Together with the affected communities we work on the recovery of their livelihoods.
In Uganda, ZOA has offices in Kampala, West Nile (Arua), Acholi (Nwoya), and Karamoja (Amudat). ZOA Uganda works both in relief and recovery on the themes of food security & livelihoods, WASH, primary/accelerated/vocational education, and conflict management with a special focus on land security.
ZOA is looking for a: Finance Assistant
Purpose of the position
The Finance Assistant is responsible for effective financial support to ZOA Uganda, in particular the duty station of West Nile office.
Tasks responsibilities, results
• Ensure smooth running of the financial (cash)transactions, documentation and administration of the ZOA country office;
• Support the field offices with the day to day finance tasks;
• Support country office and field offices in keeping well documented financial administration both soft- and hard-copy;
• Support management in compliance to donor regulation, local government regulation and ZOA regulations.
• Responsible for the quality of financial (cash)operations of the office;
• Ensures timely transactions for authorized payments;
• Ensures that all payments are properly supported and authorized; ensuring receipts/proof of payment are also retrieved and filed;
• Maintain a proper filing system (soft- and hard-copy) for all payment vouchers and finance related documents;
• Ensures the availability of cash and/or bank ledgers (ERP & excel);
• Shall timely present reconciliations of respective ledgers upon request;
• Posts all finance transactions into ERP timely and ensure their correctness;
• Responsible to main the monthly finance control sheet; responsible for generation, checks and balances, and monthly finalization;
• Any other duty as assigned by the supervisor or other senior Management.
• Characteristics of Role
• Duty station is the ZOA office in Arua with regular visits to project locations in West Nile
• The role is 1.0 FTE (40 hrs/ week). Working hours are outlined in the ZOA Uganda Conditions of Service. Some flexibility on working hours may be required, e.g. for travel at weekends, or during reporting times.
• External contacts
• Customs and other government departments;
• Legal services.
• Internal contacts
• Local management.
• Knowledge & Experience:
• Degree or diploma in Finance, Business Administration or any related field;
• Proven relevant work experience in finance and administration is added advantage;
• Good knowledge of financial practices;
• Fluent command of English;
• Preferably some cross cultural experience in a development setting.
Skills & Attitude:
• Result-oriented approach, initiates but also makes sure that initiatives come to a satisfactory result;
• Pro-active, instead of reactive;
• Puts first things first, knows how to prioritize and achieves this with a personal touch;
• Dares to push ‘the panic button when she/he sees that things are going wrong;
• Flexible conduct;
• Customer-friendly attitude;
• Good communicator.
• Special requirements
• Some travel may be required for in-country.
How to apply.
All suitably qualified and interested candidates with the required qualification, experience, knowledge, skills, and attitude should send their applications by clicking on the 'Apply Here' section below to be redirected to the application portal.
Applications should only include the following: cover letter and an updated CV (with three professional referees) of which two must be 2 professional references, including your supervisor and the most recent/previous employer, and 1 character reference could be your pastor or priest.
Deadline: 24 Jan 2022, Indicate only 'Application Finance Assistant - West Nile on the subject line.
Qualified candidates and or individuals with disabilities are highly encouraged to apply.
Note: Applications will be reviewed on a rolling basis. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted.'