Position Designation: External Affairs Manager
Function: External Affairs
Location: Kampala, Uganda
Reports to (designation): Business Head and dotted line to Group Head of External Affairs Manager
MAIN PURPOSE OF THE POSITION:
The External Affairs Manager is responsible for managing relationships with the company's external stakeholders, building impactful advocacy mainly in government as well as its agencies, industry players, consumer groups, community leaders, and advocating for a competitive business environment.
REPORTING INTO THIS POSITION (DESIGNATION AND LEVEL)
- To lobby government (Central & Local) and regional trading blocs and advocate for the development of policies, regulations, and laws for the improved business environment (Tariffs, Taxes, Charges, Input costs, efficient transport and logistics, illicit trade, standards).
- To work collaboratively with industry associations to advocate for regulation and policies that improve business competitiveness.
- To advise the management team regarding how external issues may affect the company adversely.
- Provide the business with timely regulatory insights/updates to support decision-making. e) Advise management on anything that might result in the company’s reputational risk f) Maintain useful and credible contact lists with government ministries, agencies,
- regulatory authorities, and industry lobby associations. Ensure UBL’s representation at their events.
- Communicate company position to Government, Institutions, and other Stakeholders by preparing evidence-based submissions challenging factors that affect business competitiveness
- Participate, together with UBL’s Business Head or senior management team in committees within the relevant government ministries to advocate the company`s position on all matters that affect business or that will be beneficial to the industry.
- Lobby external stakeholders on new government regulations that require input before the regulations are implemented if they are of an adverse nature to the steel industry.
- Provide timely, accurate, and comprehensive intelligence of political, policy, and stakeholder developments and advice on how to influence any opportunities or mitigate potential risks.
- Collect data and market intelligence on factors that affect company competitiveness e.g. sub-standards, counterfeits, change of tariffs and levies, logistics, and any other competitiveness factor along the value chain.
- Build awareness of UBL’s operations to external Stakeholders and advocate UBL’s Agenda
- Prepare and circulate periodic reports as per company and group calendar n) To be the liaison for the group External Affairs and Advocacy for purposes of group consolidations and focused approach on regional matters
- Undertake other duties and responsibilities as may be assigned.
▪ Management of department budget(specific to role) as approved in line with the BPP 5. PROCUREMENT RESPONSIBILITY
▪ Procurement of items (specific to role) as approved in line with the budget
▪ Good working environment with less ergonomic Risk
KEY SPECIFICATIONS FOR THE POSITION
- Minimum academic qualification: A degree-level qualification.
- Qualifications as an added advantage: Masters in Business Administration ∙ Professional registration: Added Advantage
- General work experience (years): A minimum 10 years experience in a senior management position
- Specific to the position (level/discipline/years): at least 8 years hands-on experience in dealing with Government Ministries and agencies, Uganda Revenue Authority, Uganda National Bureau of Standards, Sector-Specific Associations, Uganda Manufacturing Association, Private Sector Foundation of Uganda, Steel Industry Regulators, Architects and Surveyors, and other relevant professional bodies.
- Knowledge of Government Budget Making Cycle
- Thorough knowledge of the various tenets of EAC Protocol including tariff regime ∙ Industry: Good knowledge of the Manufacturing Industry
- Lobbying: Evidence of having lobbied the government for the creation or abolition of protectionist tariffs.
- Added Advantage: Specific Experience in the steel industry
KEY COMPETENCIES AND SKILLS:
- Ability to work under pressure
- Strong interpersonal and communication skills
- Ability to influence and negotiate
- Decision Making Skills
- Conflict resolution skills
Highly inclusive and strong collaborator
Ability to maintain professional relationships with Government policymakers, key external stakeholders, and community leaders
Strong stakeholder engagement skills Ability
- Highly inclusive and strong collaborator
- Ability to maintain professional relationships with Government policymakers, key external stakeholders, and community leaders
- Strong stakeholder engagement skills
- Ability to build a network of key relationships
- Strong strategic and planning skills
- Strong work ethics and personal integrity
- Highly motivated
- Self-starter and creative
- High energy, positive and inspiring
- Confident, self-assured, participative style
All applications will be received and Reviewed through Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section