Title: Drug Rehabilitation Psychiatric Nurse (yearly renewal contract if pass 6-month probation)
Location: S.A.L.V.E. International Uganda (Jinja District) – Based at our land in Namulesa
• To work with the Drug Rehabilitation team and specifically your manager to deliver our Drug Rehabilitation programme and to support our educational sponsorship programme as needed.
• To give practical lessons and counselling to children in wellbeing, communication skills and building their self-esteem.
• To counsel children and listen to them to help to make plans how to support them to overcome their addictions and plan to resettle in the community.
• To deliver basic first aid and monitor children’s health, referring them for further medical care where needed for any child under S.A.L.V.E. with a focus on Drug Rehabilitation children.
• To support your manager to ensure all the monitoring and evaluation of the programme is being completed in time and of good quality.
• To use money wisely and account for it properly in line with the organisation’s financial system.
• To raise awareness and support for of the work of S.A.L.V.E. International in Jinja and Uganda as a whole.
• To support other members of the S.A.L.V.E. team in their roles as needed with advice or assistance to ensure the overall aims of the organisation are met.
• The following activities are intended as a guide to the main responsibilities of the post and are not an exhaustive list of duties and tasks. The post-holder may be required to undertake other duties that are not listed below, at the direction of their manager. The job description may be amended from time to time after consultation with the post holder.
• Work with the team to develop and improve your programme through regular evaluation and learning reviews.
• Ensure that all the planned activities for the Drug Rehabilitation department i.e. street walks, individual, group and family counselling sessions, lesson activities, and home tracing, resettlement and follow-ups happen reliably as planned and to a high standard.
• Develop and oversee the care and development plans for children under our Drug Rehabilitation Programme and assess and work with their families with the aim of resettling the child home again. Then work to ensure that children resettle home well and are considered for future assistance like Family Empowerment or Educational support as needed.
• To work with our Street Outreach team to oversee peer to peer activities on the streets and to identify addicted children to enter the Drug Rehabilitation Programme. Ensure that all newly referred children to the S.A.L.V.E. Drug Rehabilitation Home receive correct medical care and dedicated counselling and attention to help them to settle off the streets as part of their detox from drugs.
• To provide medical advice and basic medical care for any child under S.A.L.V.E.’s support and needed, and also to advise when they need to be referred to a clinic or hospital for further care.
• To support your manager to ensure that all reporting from the Drug Rehabilitation programme i.e. the weekly, monthly and project-specific reports and file keeping is done in time and to a high standard.
• Proper financial management of your expenditure within your department’s budget in line with the organisation’s financial system. To ensure the proper records and invoicing is being done for medical work with our partner clinic.
• To case manage a group of children in our Educational support programme i.e. make sure they get the right resources, counselling and career guidance to thrive in education and plan for their future career.
In order to be considered for this post you will have to demonstrate that you already have:
• Experience of doing psychiatric nursing.
• Experience in using computer skills.
• Experience in counselling.
• Proven commitment to first-class relationship management and teamwork.
• Experience in using finances wisely.
• Psychiatric Nurse diploma holder or above.
• Have attended relevant courses and training modules, especially in wellbeing, addiction and counselling.
• Work-based knowledge
• Practical experience in psychiatric nursing and addiction
• Ability to work well with other team members and develop positive relationships.
• Proven ability to use organisational finances wisely.
• Excellent attention to detail.
• Self-motivated, flexible and able to work on own initiative, under pressure and to tight deadlines.
• Excellent administration and organisational skills.
• Planning and implementation skills.
• Counselling and motivational skills.
• Medical skills.
• Interest in developing knowledge, specialising and upskilling in the area of addiction.
• This is a staff role for an active and flexible person who wants to help children overcome addiction and return home to their community. We will give you 580,000 Ugandan shillings gross pay per month as salary during your probation. After passing your 6 month probation period and being confirmed into the post would rise to 691,523 Ugandan shillings gross pay. You will receive a transport allowance to help you to transport yourself to and from your base of work, which is in Wabulenga, Namelesa. Then any further travel for the role will be covered by the organisation. Lunch will be provided.