Duty Station: Uganda
Grade: UR 7
Reports to: Technically to Logistics Officer and administratively to Program Manager
Uganda Red Cross Society (URCS) is the leading National Humanitarian Organization in Uganda and a member of the International Red Cross and Red Crescent Movement.
Job Summary: The role of the Driver will be to provide transport services and maintain vehicles assigned in line with URCS Vehicle Management Policy and Procedures 2017.
Key Duties and Responsibilities:
• Drive authorized staff, volunteers, delegates and visitors to and from various locations as per organisation’s policies and procedures.
• Safely drive URCS fleet vehicles for the transport of passengers and cargo as instructed and ensure that all occupants of the vehicle are wearing safety belts.
• Maintain vehicles clean and in good mechanical condition at all times and in line with URCS Policies.
• Pick, deliver and account for all correspondences (mails, messages, parcels, etc.) in line with instructions and office practice.
• Plan and budget for the vehicle and provide other logistical support and prepare periodic accountabilities.
• Ensure that safe driving practices are adhered to including local driving codes, and internally agreed standards. Understand and obey all applicable traffic signs, rules and regulations.
• Make correct entries into the vehicle log book and ensure proper records are kept of all the spare keys, repairs, equipment (e.g. radios, antennae, etc.)
• Compile and submit monthly mileage, fuel and maintenance reports to Logistics Officer.
• Report all vehicle and driving related incidents to the Logistics Officer including minor and major accidents, vehicle performance and maintenance issues etc.
• Perform daily inspections for the assigned or any other vehicles and report to the supervisor accordingly.
• Work closely with staff, volunteers and delegates assigned on a timely basis.
• Make any such repairs that are necessary for the efficient operation of the vehicle including changing of tryres in case of puncture, changing oils, car batteries etc.
• Follow up on monthly service repairs and report to supervisor.
• Refill the vehicle with fuel at designated fueling stations.
• Coordinate with Logistics Officer to ensure timely replenishment of fuel cards, routine vehicle repair and maintenance and validity of vehicle insurance.
• Ensure tool kits, fire extinguisher and first aid kit of the vehicle are maintained
• Drive and take good care of the vehicle and other equipment fitted on the vehicle
• Be available on daily basis during the hours agreed with the Uganda Red Cross Society
• Refrain from any action which may adversely affect the reputation of the Uganda Red Cross Society.
• Perform any other duties that may be assigned.
Qualifications, Skills and Experience:
• Uganda Certificate of Education (UCE) or its equivalent from a recognized institution in Uganda.
• Valid Driving License (Classes DL, CM and B are desirable)
• At least 5 years’ experience in driving preferably with a reputable organization.
• Proven experience driving 4×4 vehicles.
• Defensive driving skills
• Good command of the English language (oral and written) is a must with the ability to maintain high levels of confidentiality.
• High level of integrity.
• Planning strategically.
• Proven integrity.
• Good Interpersonal skills.
• Good communication skills and respect for colleagues.
• Ability to work under pressure
How to Apply:
Please send your filled application form and attach your academic transcripts and certificates, filled application forms and academic transcripts and certificates can be e-mailed to; firstname.lastname@example.org or hand-delivered, and or by post to:
Uganda Red Cross Society,
Plot 551/555 Rubaga Road,
P.O. Box 494, Kampala, Uganda.
Email to: email@example.com
When applying please indicate your preferred location.
Due to large volumes of applications, only short-listed candidates shall be contacted. Canvassing shall lead to automatic disqualification
Deadline: 23rd August 2021 at 5:00 pm