Reports to: Logistics Manager
Duty station: Country Office Kampala
All NRC employees are expected to work in accordance with the organization’s core values: dedication, innovation, inclusivity, and accountability. These attitudes and believes shall guide our actions and relationships.
These responsibilities shall be adapted to the particularities of the job location and context, phase of operation, strategic focus and type of programme intervention. This section shall be revised whenever a new employee is hired or the context changes significantly.
• The Driver shall strictly follow the traffic rules and speed limits applicable, and shall always drive in a safe, considerate and defensive manner. In case of an accident the driver shall ensure that the steps required by rules and regulations are followed, including filling in the accident report form.
• The Driver is responsible for cleaning and daily maintenance of the vehicle and shall ensure that it is in a safe running condition. He/she is also responsible for checking of oil level, water level, battery, brakes, tires, etc., and that the vehicle is at all times equipped with a first aid kit, a good spare tire and all prescribed tools and equipment. He/she will report promptly and in writing to NRC is some tools are missing.
• The driver is responsible for filling the logbook for all trips and to ensure that other drivers that may use the vehicle to do the same.
• The Driver shall ensure that all required licenses, insurance cards and vehicle permits are valid and available in the vehicle incl. accident reports. He/she must also ensure that own driving licence and other relevant driving papers are up to date.
• The Driver shall follow the instructions given in the Checklist from the NRC Drivers’ Manual.
• The Driver is responsible for performing minor repairs. If major repairs are needed these should be reported to the supervisor before making arrangements.
• The Driver shall provide logistical support to NRC Teams during field missions, trainings and workshops.
• The Driver shall assist the Logistics Assistant with receiving, storing, picking and packing goods for the NRC warehouse/storeroom.
Generic professional competencies for this position:
• Valid driver’s license
• Experience from working as a Driver in a humanitarian/recovery context
• Previous experience from working in complex and volatile contexts
• Documented results related to the position’s responsibilities
• Some knowledge of English
The Norwegian Refugee Council (NRC) is an independent humanitarian organisation helping people forced to flee. We work in crises across 31 countries, providing emergencies and long-term assistance to millions of people every year. We stand up for people forced to flee, advocating their rights. NORCAP, our global provider of expertise, helps improve international and local ability to prevent, prepare for, respond to and recover from crises. NRC also runs the Internal Displacement Monitoring Centre in Geneva, a global leader in reporting on and advocating for people displaced within their own country.
Employment with NRC may lead to employment in or deployment to Regions, Countries, Areas or Offices that may be host to considerable health, safety and security risks. NRC takes this very seriously and we have procedures in place to reduce known risks, but will never be able to take away all risks. NRC requires staff members who travel on an international contract to the field to undergo an medical examination with our medical provider. Employees must produce a Health Clearance Certificate before departure stating that there are no relevant health concerns. If staff are unable to provide this, NRC reserves the right to terminate the Contract of Employment.