Company: Kikagati Power Company Limited
Reporting to the Kikagati Power Operations Manager, the Deputy Operations Manager will reside at the Kikagati site. In this position, the Deputy Operations Manager will provide leadership to and effectively manage the plant staff. The Deputy Operations Manager will ensure that efficient management is achieved, especially in the operations department.
The Deputy Operations Manager will, in coordination and cooperation with the plant’s personnel, manage the operation of the power plant facilities and related services ensuring that the rated power output of the plant is achieved and sustained with the least downtimes, according to the defined production goals and in accordance with the Plant’s operating standards as well as safety and environmental regulations.
• Manage plant operations activities according to the approved annual operation and maintenance plan, as well as the O&M annual budget.
• Plan and supervise all operational activities and associated staff for timely approved dispatch schedules.
• Ensure compliance with all applicable operational and safety procedures, regulations, and standards.
• Oversee closely activities that support complex and infrequently performed plant evolutions.
• Conduct regular audits of the plant facility, propose and implement modiﬁcations for improved performance.
• Supervise and schedule the operation of the plant, complying with the energy delivery schedules set by the Dispatch coordinator.
• Develop, review and implement operations budgets and annual plans.
• Develop operating procedures and instructions to ensure the safe and reliable operation of plant equipment and systems.
• Maintain and review the shift records for accuracy, completeness, and trends.
• Develop and use information systems for planning, control, feedback, analysis, and improvement.
• Coordinate the implementation of the power station and system emergency Plans in accordance with approved problem escalation procedures.
• Supervise and evaluate periodically shift operations.
• Reporting on, and participation in, the investigation of any abnormal event, including near misses and low-level events, and deciding on measures to be taken to reduce the probability of a similar situation recurring as an actual plant event.
• Production of operational reports for management and other groups and authorities as required.
• Oversee the qualification, prequalification, and training of shift personnel to ensure that they are properly trained to established standards and properly qualified to perform their assigned duties.
• Define and plan the staff training in the areas of relevant competence.
• Potential support to other plants within the BE portfolio.
• Responsible for developing, implementing, and reviewing compliance to operating policies and controls and ensuring consistency across all plants.
• Manage external relationships with keys stakeholders (customers, grid operators, governmental agencies, local communities, keys contractors, etc.).
• Prepare for and attend monthly and as required meetings with senior management to present plant performance highlighting risks and opportunities.
Berkeley Energy /the portfolio business is lean organizations. Consequently, the entire staff will occasionally be involved in various duties outside of their usual scope of work, such as project and development work and admin tasks.
• Between 4 and 10 years of proven experience in the power generation sector, is a pre-requisite. Preferred hydropower
• Between 2 and 6 years of proven experience in the power plants operations department, preferable in managerial positions.
• Hands-on experience. Manage problem-solving processes with respect to design, construction, and coordination issues, Familiar with generators; excitation systems; governor systems; protection, control, and metering equipment; plant mechanical systems; switchyard….
• Experience working independently and collaboratively in an investigative role where detailed processes and procedures may not specify.
• Experience in managing, coaching, and building high-quality operational teams. Even in challenge environments.
• Health, safety, and environmental awareness. Strong safety culture.
• Competent knowledge and use of MS Office and general IT skills.
• Willingness to travel and visit another project's site.
• Good analytical and supervisory skills
• Self-driven/entrepreneurial personality with managerial capabilities/experiences
• Leadership and fast-paced team player.
• Ability to work under minimal supervision.
• Excellent communication skills at all levels.
• Attention to detail and pride in work.
• Bachelor’s degree in mechanical, electrical, industrial, or power systems engineering (engineering background is a pre-requisite)
• Candidates must be computer literate
• Advanced level of English, both written and spoken
• Ability to work in a team and under.
If your profile fits the above role and you have the desire to be part of our team, please send your CV and cover letter through the Brightermonday Portal by Clicking on the 'Apply Now ' section by 5:00 pm on Friday 25th June 2021.